Calorie Deficit

Options
Hi guys,

How do you work out your calorie deficit? MFP tells me to eat 1200 calories a day (because im short I guess) so do I need to work out until I have burned 1200 calories every day???? Please tell me no....!

I do lots of exercise, run three times a week (a total of between 18 -25 miles) and then go to the gym for strength training about 2/3 times per week.

I eat well for my three main meals but when I get home from work or after ive had my evening meal im tending to have a binge. Im thinking of upping my calorie intake but wondered how the deficit thing works .....

Thanks x

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    No. You should be NETTING 1200, which means 1200 calories, plus what you burn through exercise. For instance, my goal is 1400 calories. If I work out and burn 300 calories, my new goal for the day is 1700. MFP calculates your goal with a deficit built in, so you don't need to create a larger one though eating less.

That said, MFP tends to overestimate calories burned through exercise, so many people find it useful to only eat a portion of those calories back.

Also, how did you get 1200? Did you choose 2lb/week loss? That may be too aggressive based on your goals. With only 7 pounds to lose, I recommend changing your goal to .5lb/week. You'll be able to eat more which, personally, is always my goal :)