I'm a prisoner of Weight Watchers - How do I break free?

Options
Hello Friends,

I was obese for the first 25 years of my life; I remember weighing over 200lbs as a 12 year old girl. In 2008, I started Weight Watchers and over the course of two years, I lost 100lbs (hooray!). My weight went from 270lbs to 170lbs. For the past five years, I've maintained this 100lb weight loss (with a lot of fluctuating between 170 and 180). The lowest I've managed to get to is 160lbs, but I haven't been able to maintain that weight.

So long story short, I've continued to use the WW program for the past 5 years with no further results (other than maintaining my 100lb loss). I'd like to lose 20 pounds more; I'm currently holding steady at 170lbs. Even 10 lbs would be nice! I think I need to try something new if I want to lose my last 20lbs, but I'm so used to weight watchers that I'm almost terrified of quitting. I weigh my food and count my points religiously. I realize that My Fitness Pal is a great program, but I get exhausted at the thought of having to track all of my fruits and veggies... that's a lot of food I haven't had to worry about tracking for a long time. I'm also concerned about not having "bonus points"... I rely on those for my social life.

Beyond weight tracking, I've been doing weight training at my gym for the past two years. I LOVE weight training - its an end in itself. It makes me feel fantastic and strong. I also avoid refined sugars and processed foods (or have been for the past few weeks at least). Despite having improved my diet and increased my physical activity, I haven't seen results over the past few weeks.

I don't want to become so obsessed with food tracking and weight loss that I become a hermit just to avoid being around food. I say that because sometimes, I DO get really obsessive about it and I turn down opportunities to hang out with friends because I'm terrified about being around food I may not know the point values of. Given my history, I obviously have a hard time saying no to food.

I'm not seeking perfection. But I want to lose at least ten pounds. I'm serious about my health and I don't want to give up weight watchers without having something else to go to instead. Heck, I'd be ok with myself even by just maintaining my current weight... but I shouldn't have to pay WW in order to succeed at that. There has to be a better way.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I know this is a big dump of poorly-organized information, but if you have any experience or advice to share, I'm all ears. It felt good to vent about all this.

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I just canceled my membership and signed up here.

I'm not sure I understand why it's complicated.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Stop giving them money.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The LOTS of fruit and vegetables you say you're eating may be adding up to a significant amount of calories. It might do some good to see what it is adding up to.
    My advice would be to set your goal to 1/2 lb a week, and then lower that daily amount by 100-200 calories. Then acknowledge you have 700-1400 saved up over the week to use on the weekend. Just like the "bonus" points. They weren't bonus calories though, they were just an accumulation saved from your daily totals.

And congrats on the maintenance. That's my goal weight!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the problem.

The thought of tracking fruits and veggies is "exhausting?" Seriously? Doesn't WW suggest you limit the number of "0" points foods you eat per day? Doesn't that count as tracking?

It's not a big deal. It really takes like, a nanosecond to enter in a .97 gram banana or 123 grams of blueberries ...logging salad can be a little bit of a pain ...might take me all of 3 minutes to weigh my salad components and then log them. :expressionless:
  • MizLayla
    MizLayla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    The LOTS of fruit and vegetables you say you're eating may be adding up to a significant amount of calories. It might do some good to see what it is adding up to.
    My advice would be to set your goal to 1/2 lb a week, and then lower that daily amount by 100-200 calories. Then acknowledge you have 700-1400 saved up over the week to use on the weekend. Just like the "bonus" points. They weren't bonus calories though, they were just an accumulation saved from your daily totals.

And congrats on the maintenance. That's my goal weight!

Ok that's good advice. Thanks :smile:
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Tracking fruits and vegetables is really not the trial you seem to be picturing. As for bonus points, you can earn more calories through exercise or you can eat a bit less in the days before or after a social event with food in order to balance out a high calorie day
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used to do WW, but I like MFP more. It's more informative and I like tracking things like protein, healthy fats, sodium, etc.

Do you have the MFP app on your phone? It makes a world of difference.
  • MizLayla
    MizLayla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I don't understand the problem.

The thought of tracking fruits and veggies is "exhausting?" Seriously? Doesn't WW suggest you limit the number of "0" points foods you eat per day? Doesn't that count as tracking?

It's not a big deal. It really takes like, a nanosecond to enter in a .97 gram banana or 123 grams of blueberries ...logging salad can be a little bit of a pain ...might take me all of 3 minutes to weigh my salad components and then log them. :expressionless:

"Exhausting" was a strong word. I agree that doing it at home wouldn't be a hassle. But I liked being able to just eat whatever fruits and veggies I wanted - particularly at work potlucks, gatherings at friend's places - without having to figure out how many calories I was eating.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have found that pre-making meals such as salads or veggie wraps can help if you are in a time crunch. I don't get a lot of time for lunch so I tend to chop all vegetables for the entire week to use in salads, wraps, soups, stir fry, fajitas, etc and then if I don't have a lot of time to weigh and measure it's all pre-cut and I even make salads and wraps for lunch in advance so I don't have to take the time to weigh everything. I believe it takes more than 3 minutes to weigh my salad components- but doing it in advance really helps. And while vegetables are very low in calories, fruit can be high (well relatively speaking) and unlimited fruit on weight watchers, while it does encourage healthy eating can be a barrier to losing those last few pounds because some people (like me) will tend to overeat on the fruit part and then you don't lose.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you set your goal at 1/2 a pound a week, even with counting your fruits and veggies you may find out that you can actually eat more this way. WW's seems like they set your points pretty low to be aggressive. And with only a little left to go, you should probably go slow anyway. But like they said, fruits add up. So that may be all you need to tweek to see results is to be aware of those.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This post is an excellent example of how 'weight loss programs' can make understanding and managing real food in real life situations for long term health management much more difficult. Don't get me wrong, I have done both WW and Jenny Craig. I was successful on both programs. But coming off the programs, I put the weight back on.

That is why I like MFP. Because it gives me the actual tools I need to learn about how to manage my weight and health for the rest of my life. No points, no pre-made food, no freaking out because if I go out with my friends for food and drinks I'm going to ruin everything.

To the OP. Change is hard, but oh so worth it. Start logging everything, all your fruits and vegetables, everything. Face the reality of your daily calorie intake and learn how to manage social situations with confidence by understanding how one day of over-eating with calories can be managed by going under your calorie goals the other 6 days of the week. Track your exercise calories as closely as possible. Eat back about half. Set realistic goals. Slow and steady wins the LIFE race.

You don't need a program to be successful. You just need to manage your weight loss goals in the real world. You can do it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you set your goal at 1/2 a pound a week, even with counting your fruits and veggies you may find out that you can actually eat more this way. WW's seems like they set your points pretty low to be aggressive. And with only a little left to go, you should probably go slow anyway. But like they said, fruits add up. So that may be all you need to tweek to see results is to be aware of those.

If she's not losing now, then MFP is not going to give her more calories to eat than she is currently eating.

MFP is great. I wouldn't worry about having to become a hermit, but yes, there will be times that you might choose to not go to a restaurant because you can't make it work, and if that's what you want, that's your right. Or if you choose to go, that's your right too. You and only you are in control of this journey :)
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would venture a guess that "being able to eat as many fruits and veggies as you want" is what's keeping you from getting any lower.

Try and get on board with weighing and logging everything... it's an eye opener... and those fruits and veggies have calories, whether you use WW of MFP.. MFP just let's you see the number and you're more aware of what you're putting into your body.

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    MizLayla wrote: »
    Hello Friends,

I was obese for the first 25 years of my life; I remember weighing over 200lbs as a 12 year old girl. In 2008, I started Weight Watchers and over the course of two years, I lost 100lbs (hooray!). My weight went from 270lbs to 170lbs. For the past five years, I've maintained this 100lb weight loss (with a lot of fluctuating between 170 and 180). The lowest I've managed to get to is 160lbs, but I haven't been able to maintain that weight.

So long story short, I've continued to use the WW program for the past 5 years with no further results (other than maintaining my 100lb loss). I'd like to lose 20 pounds more; I'm currently holding steady at 170lbs. Even 10 lbs would be nice! I think I need to try something new if I want to lose my last 20lbs, but I'm so used to weight watchers that I'm almost terrified of quitting. I weigh my food and count my points religiously. I realize that My Fitness Pal is a great program, but I get exhausted at the thought of having to track all of my fruits and veggies... that's a lot of food I haven't had to worry about tracking for a long time. I'm also concerned about not having "bonus points"... I rely on those for my social life.

Beyond weight tracking, I've been doing weight training at my gym for the past two years. I LOVE weight training - its an end in itself. It makes me feel fantastic and strong. I also avoid refined sugars and processed foods (or have been for the past few weeks at least). Despite having improved my diet and increased my physical activity, I haven't seen results over the past few weeks.

I don't want to become so obsessed with food tracking and weight loss that I become a hermit just to avoid being around food. I say that because sometimes, I DO get really obsessive about it and I turn down opportunities to hang out with friends because I'm terrified about being around food I may not know the point values of. Given my history, I obviously have a hard time saying no to food.

I'm not seeking perfection. But I want to lose at least ten pounds. I'm serious about my health and I don't want to give up weight watchers without having something else to go to instead. Heck, I'd be ok with myself even by just maintaining my current weight... but I shouldn't have to pay WW in order to succeed at that. There has to be a better way.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I know this is a big dump of poorly-organized information, but if you have any experience or advice to share, I'm all ears. It felt good to vent about all this.

I don't want to speak ill of the fruit, but the fruit is what plateaued me in WW. Logging here is pretty easier, it's the same as WW just with bigger numbers!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I did WW and like MFP better. Sure, it can be cumbersome at first, as are all new habits, but you get used to it quickly. Once you've added something, it's right there in Recent and things you eat all the time are there in Frequent.

For the weekends, I try to get in a lot of exercise and eat lightly during the day so I can have bigger meals guilt-free at night.

I'm a little OCD and like to be exact, but I realize sometimes with restaurant food you just won't know. Last weekend I had jambalaya, and the stored results in MFP varied wildly. I just picked the one that seemed the most reasonable and went with that.

However, the calorie counts for many chain restaurants are available.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You have not been losing weight with WW for some time. It feels safe but it isn't getting you anywhere either. You also don't know how many calories you are eating.

Give MFP your numbers-height, weight, age, activity level. Start with a reasonable goal... 1/2 lb a week. Eat the calories you are given. Eat a portion of the exercise calories you earn.
    You might start with logging what you currently eat to see how many calories you are eating without worrying about sticking to your goal yet. It isn't difficult and might be pretty eye opening.
    Log food as accurately as you can. Weighing and measuring are really helpful so you learn what portion sizes are appropriate for you. Do that for awhile, pay attention to what the portions look like and you will be better at judging what you can eat at random potlucks without carrying a scale around.
    Some of us find pre-logging our food for the day pretty helpful to sticking to our goal. It takes me just a few minutes to log my whole day in advance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Actually Im going to offer slightly different advice

Give yourself a month to 6 weeks continue to follow your weightwatchers points scheme eating as you have been eating but just weigh and log everything in MFP

Do not worry about MFP 'system'. On ww you have been maintaining ...logging your foods will give you your maintenance level

In a month or so cut out 250 calories worth...no doubt thats a banana and a couple of apples a day...by then you will understand how mfp works

And then you will get your weight loss
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Give yourself a month to 6 weeks continue to follow your weightwatchers points scheme eating as you have been eating but just weigh and log everything in MFP

Do not worry about MFP 'system'. On ww you have been maintaining ...logging your foods will give you your maintenance level

In a month or so cut out 250 calories worth...no doubt thats a banana and a couple of apples a day...by then you will understand how mfp works

This is great advice. I logged on MFP and WW for a month before switching to MFP. I learned a lot in that time.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I know many people who have been avid fans of Weight Watchers, and have paid them lots of money. They lost weight, quit WW, gained it back, then joined WW again and paid them lots of money. I don't get it.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Since the OP is really nervous about making the switch I think this is a brilliant idea-it will give her time to get used to MFP's system and she'll learn a lot in the process :)