TDEE

Options
dargytaylor
dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
i have seen this term used alot on the site ~ could somebody explain in laymens terms what this means? I think it is what calories you should be consuming based on your age, weight, height, and exercise? I just put my info into a TDEE calculator, and it tells me to eat 2188 calories per day?? EDIT: I currently eat 1400 plus appx 1/2 my exercise calories, so no where near 2100

Female ~ 46yo ~ 5'8" ~ CW 180 ~ exercise 4 times per week

Replies

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    TDEE is the calories you need to maintain your weight. If you want to lose, you have to deduct 500 calories from that to lose a pound a week.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. Basically this is the amount of calories you need in a day given your additional activities (i.e. exercise) + your basal metabolic rate ("coma calories" - what you need for brain function, breathing, etc.). TDEE is your maintenance, but if you are trying to lose you should aim for -20%. Hope this helps!
  • deniztuzu2
    deniztuzu2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It includes everything you do in a day, exercise too. So if you follow TDEE to lose weight and you get 2188 calories as your TDEE, you will have to subtract your daily deficit from that number and not eat back any exercise burn because it is already included.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    So BMR = Base Metabolic rate. This is how many calories your body burns each 24 hours to sustain your life and body functions nothing more. This is based on age, height, weight, and sex.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is your BMR plus all other activities you do in a day - walking around, working, exercise, housework, sitting, cooking, etc.. This is based on your activity level.

When you calculate your TDEE they also ask your height, weight, etc to figure your BMI, then ask you to you pick an activity level, or enter the duration of activities you do in a 24 hour period to figure out your TDEE. The number you get tells you, given your stats and activity level, how many calories you need to intake daily to MAINTAIN your current physical condition and activity level. Most calculators further give you the option to figure how many calories you need to intake each day to lose weight.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i have seen this term used alot on the site ~ could somebody explain in laymens terms what this means? I think it is what calories you should be consuming based on your age, weight, height, and exercise? I just put my info into a TDEE calculator, and it tells me to eat 2188 calories per day?? EDIT: I currently eat 1400 plus appx 1/2 my exercise calories, so no where near 2100

Female ~ 46yo ~ 5'8" ~ CW 180 ~ exercise 4 times per week

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. These are the calories you burn merely existing plus your day to day stuff plus your exercise. For most people, the calories required to merely exist represent the most substantial part of their calorie requirements...then their day to day...and generally speaking, unless you're an athlete and/or otherwise training like one, exercise is the least significant.

For example, I burn roughly 1,800 calories merely existing on the planet...my heart pumping, lungs working, kidneys functioning, etc. I burn another roughly 700 calories or so just doing my day to day type of stuff and another 300-500 calories per day with deliberate exercise.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    TDEE is the calories you need to maintain your weight. If you want to lose, you have to deduct 500 calories from that to lose a pound a week.

500 calories will not be correct for every person.

Stay within the 10-20% range less TDEE to lose weight.... 10-20% range more than TDEE to gain weight.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. That is the energy your body needs to do all of the things you do during the course of a day. TDEE calculators attempt to that number based on models that take into account your age, weight, gender, and activity level. Some also take body fat into account.

If you put your info into the TDEE calculator and it came up to 2188, that would be the amount of calories to be at maintenance (neither gaining or losing). To lose 1 lb/wk, you would try to be about 500 cal/day under the TDEE. I tried a couple calculators with your numbers and came up with 2138 and 2333, so there can be significant variance depending on the model.

There is also BMR (Basal metabolic rate) that is an estimate of how many calories you burn simply existing (not moving around, exercising, etc). You should avoid being under that number normally.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

Stay within the 10-20% range less TDEE to lose weight.... 10-20% range more than TDEE to gain weight.

Why not? A pound of fat has 3500 calories, no matter who you are. TDEE, on the other hand, is significantly different from person to person and day to day.
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!! I think I get it :) So..... if my TDEE is 2188 and I am aiming to loose weight, appx 1lb per week, I should aim for appx 1700 calories per day? That is tough!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Why not? A pound of fat has 3500 calories, no matter who you are. TDEE, on the other hand, is significantly different from person to person and day to day.

A pound of fat has 3500 calories for everyone. But it's not an appropriate goal for everyone to want to lose exactly 1lb/week.

For some people with a lower TDEE, that goal may well be too aggressive. For others with a higher TDEE and more to lose, it could be too conservative.

10-20% deficit is a good rule of thumb for most people, IMHO.
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    Anyone that follows TDEE ~ do you change your calories on MFP to reflect the TDEE calories you want to consume and just ignore the exercise calories?
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I tried a couple calculators with your numbers and came up with 2138 and 2333, so there can be significant variance depending on the model.

Thank you!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Anyone that follows TDEE ~ do you change your calories on MFP to reflect the TDEE calories you want to consume and just ignore the exercise calories?

Most people who do TDEE don't log their exercise in MFP...the purpose of logging it in MFP is to account for that activity and earn those calories to "eat back"...with TDEE they are already accounted for so there's really no sense in logging that activity. If you want to track exercise I would recommend doing it elsewhere.

I keep an old fashioned note book to track miles ridden, how long it took me, and any notes like bad traffic or I took a break at Tingley Beach to watch the ducks, etc. I also track my weight lifting in a notebook.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

That's exactly what I do, yes.

It also saves time 'cause I don't have to log exercise or figure out what a realistic calorie burn was from exercise. Plus, I can pre-plan and pre-log my week in advance 'cause I know how many calories I'll have to work with every day.

The caveat is that you have to track real-life results and adjust your calories if you're losing weight too quickly or too slowly. The calculators are good starting points, but none of them are going to be exactly accurate- - you have to adjust based on your true observed TDEE range. (And yes, it's a range; we move different amounts each day so we all have a different TDEE every day.)
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I follow my TDEE and log my exercise. Reason? I have an Excel calculator that extracts MFP's data and does all kinds of things; like make charts, graphs and nerdy stuff. It also calculates my observed TDEE over the past 30 days when I include my exercise.

FYI, this is not my calculator but you can find it here...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Because it assumes that everyone's TDEE is the exact same. Cutting 500 calories a day may be too little, or too steep depending on the person and their goals.

Some people cut too drastically and that is actually counter-productive. You're not only losing fat when you cut drastically... You're also losing muscle. A healthy cutting program is between 10-20% less calories than your TDEE. It is safer and more accurate than giving everyone the same arbitrary number.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

Ok.