Sushi You will be the death of me

Options
Gosh how I love sushi!!! However with its high carbs and it hidden High Calories It will kill me!! Does anyone else have this problem??

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I did when I was a lot heavier but now I do sushi about once a month and just say "I deserved it"..
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten it in a while and I never really payed attention to the calories in my favorite roll. Since starting my WLJ I now pay attention to everything I eat and how much I eat. I will have to turn my sushi days into my treat days now I guess just makes me :'(
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    It depends on what sushi you like. Tempura will sky rocket your calorie count, etc. I have sushi like once a month and save 600-800 calories for it (throw in a good workout that day). That fills me up pretty good. I'm looking way too forward to my sushi date next Sunday. I have a 14mile Spartan Race the day before so I probably won't be counting calories that day :#
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm crazy about the stuff, and eat sushi way too often to let it be a 'treat' meal, made the full switch to sushi (the single pieces over rice), sashimi (just the straight fish) and chirashi don (a whole bunch of fish over a bowl of seasoned sushi rice) a while ago. The rolls with all of the tasty sauces were just too many calories to fit well into my goals. And tempura shrimp rolls, don't even get me started! Hidden calories is right...
    If you try the above suggestions and get some edamame as an appetizer it's a really filling meal. I don't worry much about carbs when I eat sushi - I'm just thrilled getting all of that nommy protein - but if you do I'd recommend the chirashi. It's great bang for your buck, and you could portion out the rice to have just a little with each bite. Also, the standard accompaniments ginger, soy and wasabi, while not calorie free, do very well to flavor up the fish without 'bombing' your meal out.
    ...aaaand now I want all of the sushees...
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    I'm crazy about the stuff, and eat sushi way too often to let it be a 'treat' meal, made the full switch to sushi (the single pieces over rice), sashimi (just the straight fish) and chirashi don (a whole bunch of fish over a bowl of seasoned sushi rice) a while ago. The rolls with all of the tasty sauces were just too many calories to fit well into my goals. And tempura shrimp rolls, don't even get me started! Hidden calories is right...
    If you try the above suggestions and get some edamame as an appetizer it's a really filling meal. I don't worry much about carbs when I eat sushi - I'm just thrilled getting all of that nommy protein - but if you do I'd recommend the chirashi. It's great bang for your buck, and you could portion out the rice to have just a little with each bite. Also, the standard accompaniments ginger, soy and wasabi, while not calorie free, do very well to flavor up the fish without 'bombing' your meal out.

My problem is I like the cooked kind lol. I tried edamame not my cup of tea at all. I am just going to have to get that run in today I wasn't expecting to do so I can work of that little roll of 7pieces.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Sushi is awesome. Just plan for it. And please lose the "high carbs" from your vocabulary.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love to eat a tray of sushi prior to a workout. ~600 calories, good amount of protein too with the size of the fish they put in at my local joint. I just make sure I plan for it.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Noooooo, sushi is awesome. I was just telling my husband that it's super good for you. But I was comparing it to a Friday fish fry, so it kinda wins by default.
    We stick with sashimi and nigiri though, with maybe tuna rolls. Whatever comes on a chefs choice platter we usually share. Tempura is way too much for me, but I did have my daughter's sweet potato last time.

I've never noticed chirashi at our place, we're creatures of habit. I'll look for that next time!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love sushi and sashimi. I look at it as a treat for once-in-awhile though. I did actually take a sushi rolling class once (loads of fun) and can make my own but it is a lot of work when the rest of my family aren't huge fans.

I tend to lean toward the rolls with cream cheese and avocado with salmon or tuna. Yum.
  • kmsoucy457
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »

My problem is I like the cooked kind lol. I tried edamame not my cup of tea at all. I am just going to have to get that run in today I wasn't expecting to do so I can work of that little roll of 7pieces.

OIC. Yep, extra workout looks like your best option then.
    I made the change when I had to stop eating gluten, so alas no more shrimp tempura rolls for me :'( Yea I'm the weirdo who brings her own tamari to the restaurant (gluten free soy sauce)...
  • kmsoucy457
    Options
    Rogstar wrote: »
    I've never noticed chirashi at our place, we're creatures of habit. I'll look for that next time!

It's pretty much the chef's choice platter deconstructed! Most, but not all sushi restaurants have it; it is part of the traditional lineup I believe.
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    Rogstar wrote: »
    Noooooo, sushi is awesome. I was just telling my husband that it's super good for you. But I was comparing it to a Friday fish fry, so it kinda wins by default.
    We stick with sashimi and nigiri though, with maybe tuna rolls. Whatever comes on a chefs choice platter we usually share. Tempura is way too much for me, but I did have my daughter's sweet potato last time.

It is better then a Friday Fish Fry any day (even thought I used to love those as well). I know its one of the better items that I liked during my fattening days it unfortunately will end up being a treat for me just like eating out.

• sazziek
    sazziek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I could eat it EVERY SINGLE DAY of my life if I could, but being diabetic and trying to watch carbs - I would just die. lol Some places let you get brown rice with your rolls! I would look into that!! =)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    sazziek wrote: »
    I could eat it EVERY SINGLE DAY of my life if I could, but being diabetic and trying to watch carbs - I would just die. lol Some places let you get brown rice with your rolls! I would look into that!! =)

Same here! I had several pieces today and don't regret it but I can't do it too often. I have discovered a type of sushi I like, but don't know what it's called--don't laugh at my description, since I'm not familiar with terms--it's kind of like a brown "bowl," in this case, it holds less than a quarter cup of stuff, mostly crunchy veggies but some shredded fish. If it helps, I got it at a chain Chinese restaurant, so I don't know if it's authentic. Would anyone know what it is?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I love sushi too... there's a wonderful place here that does all you can eat... it's sooo good. I do stay away from the deep fried rolls, but one of my favorite rolls has a piece of tempura shrimp inside it and another is made with spicy tuna (which I think is made with a spicy mayo). So I know I'm eating a huge number of calories - I can usually pack away 5-6 specialty rolls before I'm stuffed. I only do it a few times a year.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Actual sushi -- i.e. raw fish wrapped in seaweed and rice -- ranges roughly between 48 and 70 calories per piece. If you average that out, it's about 354 calories for 6 pieces. That's not too bad. It's the rolls and other stuff that get you, because of all the added avocado and sauces. A 6-piece dragon roll is about 507 calories and a rainbow roll is 489 calories, according to a couple of online calculators. If you eat "regular" sushi, you should be fine. Even better - sashimi, which comes without the rice.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I just ask for sashimi salad without the dressing. Super filling, high protein, you get some veg, without all the sugary dressing, and uh DUH lots of delicious sashimi. That, plus a small miso and a green tea, and I don't ever run up my calories too high.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Sushi is by far one of my favorite foods. I guess it's not a big deal for me though as I prefer Nigiri (raw fish on top of rice) or Sashimi (just raw fish). Rolls are rare for me to order.
  • purplerosemfp
    purplerosemfp Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i like sushi!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I consider sushi to be a healthy choice, but I get lower calorie options. I love sashimi so freaking much.