Can I count housework as a workout?

Options

Replies

• Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    It all depends whether or not you've already accounted for it in your activity level. If you haven't selected activity level to include chores, then count calories burned but keep in mind mfp estimates higher so a heart rate monitor would be a good buy, and only eat back two thirds of your calories.

If you're not planning on eating back the calories, it doesn't matter.

Your body doesn't know if your workout came from pilates or walking or vacuuming the entire house. If your movement burns calories, it counts. Exercise basically replaces all the work we would be doing if we didn't have modern conveniences, so as long as you're not eating back cleaning calories twice, you're good to go.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Since you've got your daily level sent to sedentary I don't see why you shouldn't log it. Just my opinion!
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't track regular housecleaning. Once when getting ready for an event I spent over 3 hours straight doing a deep clean that involved a good deal of physical labor and I tracked it as "1 hour of light housework" which I felt was fair.
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you have your activity level set to sedentary then log it but if you are even set to lightly active I wouldn't. I wouldn't even know how to begin to log that stuff, so I set my level to lightly active. If you have kids you are definitely lightly active. Change your activity level and don't sweat logging the things we all do every day.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It is up to you.
    If it is something I always do then I do not log it. I am a sedentary person and consider most housework accounted for in my activity level. If I did heavy duty all day cleaning I might log some of it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    If you listed your activity level as Sedentary, you can count your housework as exercise. If you listed your activity level as higher, then some of this background activity is already figured in to your calorie budget.

Another vote for logging if you are set as Sedentary.

Some of you may not have realized there are several options for cleaning already in the system:

- Cleaning, light, moderate effort
    - Cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    vigorus housework such as: sweeping, mopping, dancing, washing dishes while having my 27lb 12 month old daughter on my back.
    I'll be sweating the whole time because I live in a old home and central air doesn't work good in the kitchen.

I have only ever counted housework as exercise once or twice since I started here in February, and only when I spent a full hour or more doing it. In one case I was unpacking boxes, washing and hanging to dry everything in the boxes (bedding, clothes etc. ... storage = dust mites), giving the place a good clean before I put stuff from the boxes away, etc. etc. On my feet, lifting, carrying, and generally moving for the whole evening.

If I do the "commercial hop"* I don't count it.

Sweat means nothing. You can sweat buckets sitting still on a hot humid day but it doesn't mean you've burned any calories.

*Commercial hop -- when the commercial comes on, I get up and unload the dishwasher. Then return to the sofa for the show. Next commercial, I get up and load the dishwasher and get it going. Then return to the sofa. Next commercial I get up and put in a load of laundry. Then return to the sofa ... etc. etc. all evening.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have commented already but...let me put it this way...

Has doing housework ever helped you with your weight before? If so then count it...if not...well...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I wouldn't, since you should be cleaning your house regularly as it is.

I clean my house at least once every six months whether it needs it or not, and I don't count it as exercise!

:smiley:

Hey ... we're on the same house cleaning schedule! :smiley:

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I wouldn't, since you should be cleaning your house regularly as it is.

I clean my house at least once every six months whether it needs it or not, and I don't count it as exercise!

:smiley:

Hey ... we're on the same house cleaning schedule! :smiley:

I know people that clean once every 4-5 years...no joke...ick. Now when if I ever help them clean I might count that...*shivers* because I will be wearing a hazmat suit...
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't know about logging it. But it is actually healthier to get your exercise through housework, gardening, and other everyday life activities. 150 years ago nobody "exercised". They got all the action they needed through just living every day. We would all be better off if we got more of our exercise in that fashion.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I consider housework as normal daily activity.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you listed your activity level as Sedentary, you can count your housework as exercise. If you listed your activity level as higher, then some of this background activity is already figured in to your calorie budget.

Some of you may not have realized there are several options for cleaning already in the system:

Yeah well, cooking is in there too. Standing and chopping and stirring are all better than sitting and watching TV, but how athletic is it?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I don't know about logging it. But it is actually healthier to get your exercise through housework, gardening, and other everyday life activities. 150 years ago nobody "exercised". They got all the action they needed through just living every day. We would all be better off if we got more of our exercise in that fashion.

Ya, my mom is actually a little too skinny and gets tons of exercise from gardening, scraping and painting the house, and doing things the hard way like not having a clothes dryer and hanging clothes out on the line.

She also walks and does yoga. She's always moving.

• kshama2001
    Options

Yeah well, cooking is in there too. Standing and chopping and stirring are all better than sitting and watching TV, but how athletic is it?

I've been logging cooking and cleaning and am losing a pound a week.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

I've been logging cooking and cleaning and am losing a pound a week.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. There are several explanations for why you would still see a good rate of loss while logging these activities (you burn more calories than the average person in your height/weight bracket, you don't eat all of your calories back, you consistently overestimate intake, etc). It's just that a person who logs these activities--and eats those calories back--is more likely to maintain/lose less quickly than lose consistently.
  • kshama2001
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You forgot 'eating clean' :p
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.
    And I only log workouts where my soul intent was to workout. Running 60 min. Going for a 90 min walk.
    All the rest of my activities are gravy.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I just keep my pedometer on and it counts towards my daily steps. As for baby on the back, I regularly have either my 11kg or 14kg children on my back while walking, I just think of it as an added bonus, it'd be pretty impossible to calculate calories for that.