drinking water vs decaf coffee

Options
I bought a new Keurig coffee maker and have rediscovered coffee. Can drinking decaf coffee take the place of drinking water? Or, do you still need to drink 8 cups of water per day? I will feel like I am floating away if I have to drink water, too!

Replies

• Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    No, nothing is as good and nourishing for your body as water. It's okay to balance it out, have your coffee, but make sure to get enough water. Also, count your coffee's calories, too, they add up.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yes, the decaf (and even caffeinated coffee) is water just with stuff added into it, but you are still absorbing the water. Do what works for you. I drink tons of plain water because that's what I like.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    As far as getting your daily liquid in, I'm seen more than enough evidence to support drinking coffee/tea, whatever it may be (except pop/super sugary drinks) to get the water. (not that I have any on hand, but google can help with that :))

BUT when I started acting on this and began drinking "other drinks" more than water, I definitely started seeing it in my skin/hair and how I felt. Drinking other things may get you the liquid your body needs, but it also dumps a buncha stuff in there that it doesn't, and that does begin to show. I try to get my liquids in with actual water.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i count any non caffeinated, and non alcoholic beverages toward my daily 8 glasses of "water" intake. any liquids that are caffeine and alcohol free are hydration so that's why i do that.

I know full well they are not pure water and have calories and other things depending, but from a purely hydrating standpoint i know i'm not dehydrated if i count like this.

then when I have coffee and alchohol i add one 8 oz cup of "water" or caffeine/alcohol beverage per serving of coffee or alcohol.

example real coffee in the morning? followed by two glasses of wine at night? 3 more cups of water that day.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I drink mainly decaf tea and I certainly count it as my water intake
    it IS water, albeit with a tea bag.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts as water. Your body will get as hydrated from the coffee (yes, even regular coffee in normal amounts) as it will from water.