Chocolate cake for breakfast helps you lose weight

Options
whmscll
whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
At least according to this one study! It sounds too good to be true to me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/9069276/Chocolate-cake-breakfast-could-help-you-lose-weight.html

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It should say, "Incorporating foods you enjoy into your diet leads to better long term success than trying to cut out foods for weight loss." Because sometimes I have chocolate cake for breakfast. But I also stayed in a deficit for weight loss. Like everyone else ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hey, if cake for breakfast helps you get to a deficit, then have at it. I rarely eat breakfast myself, but when I do, it's usually cake - pancakes, but still. Though I prefer peanut butter to chocolate.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Study conducted by Bill Cosby...Himself.

(hoping someone gets the reference)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It should say, "Incorporating foods you enjoy into your diet leads to better long term success than trying to cut out foods for weight loss." Because sometimes I have chocolate cake for breakfast. But I also stayed in a deficit for weight loss. Like everyone else ;)

It wasn't about eating things you enjoy. I remember reading about this study when it first came out. It's about eating sweets in the morning causing less craving for sweets throughout the day.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I get it. Chocolate cake has eggs...and milk. "Dad is great...ba dum ba dum bum bum...give us the chocolate cake." That used to be one of my favorite stand up routines, lol.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

It wasn't about eating things you enjoy. I remember reading about this study when it first came out. It's about eating sweets in the morning causing less craving for sweets throughout the day.

Okay.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

I get it. Chocolate cake has eggs...and milk. "Dad is great...ba dum ba dum bum bum...give us the chocolate cake." That used to be one of my favorite stand up routines, lol.

Whew...thank God...
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    They do enjoy thrilling the ladies over at the Telegraph. Like most papers it plays up the most sensational part of the study and makes it sound like what they are saying is "Let them eat chocolate cake and their thighs will melt away." The basic premise is let yourself eat some pleasurable foods, in reasonable amounts. It will prevent bingeing and discouragement, etc. The study does not suggest we cram ourselves full of a box of Entenmann's Devils Food Cake with Chocolate Icing every day and more is the pity This study reveals, in fact, absolutely nothing new. But the headline certainly is tantalizing and lets one dream a bit.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Let them eat cake. I know I will be. I can't live without my cake. <3
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't like cake so I'll have to find another way. Maybe just the chocolate?
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    81f3a5950c419c263842cc0eee85843d.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Whew...thank God...
    vystcoli4tk8.gif

"Eating cookies or chocolate as part of breakfast that includes proteins and carbs also helps stem the craving for sweets later.

Researchers split 193 clinically obese, non-diabetic adults into two groups who consumed either a low-carb diet that included a 300-calorie breakfast or a balanced 600-calorie breakfast that included a chocolate cake dessert."

So it's not just eating chocolate cake for breakfast, it's adding a chocolate cake "dessert" to a "balanced" breakfast. For me, I've had sweets with breakfast and it didn't stop me from wanting sweets later. Article also talks about how eating breakfast will keep weight off and goes into "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" (what I would call) claptrap.

"A meal in the morning provides energy for the day's tasks, aids in brain functioning and kick-starts the body's metabolism, making it crucial for weight loss and maintenance."
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

Loved this routine!
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    They do enjoy thrilling the ladies over at the Telegraph. Like most papers it plays up the most sensational part of the study and makes it sound like what they are saying is "Let them eat chocolate cake and their thighs will melt away." The basic premise is let yourself eat some pleasurable foods, in reasonable amounts. It will prevent bingeing and discouragement, etc. The study does not suggest we cram ourselves full of a box of Entenmann's Devils Food Cake with Chocolate Icing every day and more is the pity This study reveals, in fact, absolutely nothing new. But the headline certainly is tantalizing and lets one dream a bit.

I believe this is basically the general French diet, eating something sweet for breakfast, a pastry of some sort.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    lol
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm highly skeptical that the study was properly designed.

However, I also love chocolate chip pancakes (or waffles) for breakfast with eggs and sausage or bacon. I find that particular breakfast easily holds me until dinner. So, for me it's a great dietary strategy, but I'm pretty sure this is going to be another of those YMMV tricks.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    TREAT YO SELF
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

A more meaningful study would have been to include a third group - one that got a balanced, low carb, 600 calorie breakfast - and see how they faired. A higher protein and fat breakfast should leave a longer lasting feeling of satiation and that, not consuming large amounts of refined carbs/sweets, should tame cravings later in the day.

Certainly does for me.

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Okay. I tried the chocolate for breakfast this morning. It didn't really work for me. My appetite for sweets want curbed. In fact I blew my entire days worth of calories before 10am.

I am now in the process of working out more throughout the day so that I can eat dinner, and maybe a snack.

I guess it might have helped if read the whole article instead of stopping at the chocolate for breakfast can help you lose weight bit. ;)
  • sscott79
    sscott79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I got it! Lol.