Is it true....

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying you can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time. Is this piece incorrect then?
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-how-to-lose-fat-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time/

LOL, did you actually read the article? If you did, you clearly didn't understand it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Sagging skin is avoided by SLOW weight loss

I think that myth got started because it can take a couple years for skin to snap back.. so loose skin is more noticeable during that period with fast weight loss. But the end result after 2 years is the same either way (assuming you do strength training to minimize muscle loss). Since skin elasticity declines with age, lose the weight relatively quickly. :+1:

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There are exceptions to the rule but in general most people do not lose fat and gain muscle at the same time
    - be a noob or a teenage boy or some kind of outlier

But you should still be resistance training progressively whilst losing weight to optimise your retention of LBM

There's never a reason not to lift heavy things :)
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    To everyone saying you can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time. Is this piece incorrect then?
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-how-to-lose-fat-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time/

LOL, did you actually read the article? If you did, you clearly didn't understand it.

Yep, what's not to understand? But as I guess you didn't here's a summary for you:

1. Figure out your maintenance caloric intake.
    2. Do intense weight training 3 x per week. Eat at 15% above your maintenance by adding extra carbs on those days.
    3. The other 5 days, eat at 10% below maintenance.

Hey presto!
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited May 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    To the people who say you can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time - that's news to me - got any links that explain that?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/

Thanks, but that article is actually explaining something different – that is, why you can't literally turn fat into muscle pound for pound. It does however go on to say that the way to gain muscle while losing fat is calorie cycling (i.e. the method described in the article I already linked) and recommends a book that explains it in more detail.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20/
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Yep, what's not to understand? But as I guess you didn't here's a summary for you:

2. Do intense weight training 3 x per week. Eat at 15% above your maintenance by adding extra carbs on those days.

Hey presto!

Recomp is about gaining muscle and losing fat (not weight) whilst essentially eating at maintenance. Other than in a few exceptions (see Rabbit's post), you won't gain muscle whilst losing weight and eating at a deficit.

Also, since when do weeks have 8 days in them?
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Hey presto!

Recomp is about gaining muscle and losing fat (not weight) whilst essentially eating at maintenance. Other than in a few exceptions (see Rabbit's post), you won't gain muscle whilst losing weight and eating at a deficit.

lighten up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VadngOGKlP0

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

Ah, I see: so you're saying losing fat whilst gaining muscle is possible, but the person won't actually be dropping scale pounds at the same time.

Apart from the exceptions Rabbit noted.

Thanks for the clarification.

(Only in Beatles songs.)
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

lighten up:

;)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Ah, I see: so you're saying losing fat whilst gaining muscle is possible, but the person won't actually be dropping scale pounds at the same time.

(Only in Beatles songs.)

I think possible under certain circumstances (that's my understanding from the second link). Painfully, painfully slow (as in, you're better off doing bulk/cut cycles). I'm a little shaky in this area beyond 'you can't build muscle eating at a deficit', but trying to up skill since I plan to build muscle once I'm at goal and want to know the best way to go about it (read: can I do this without going anywhere near a gym??).
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

(Only in Beatles songs.)

I think possible under certain circumstances (that's my understanding from the second link). Painfully, painfully slow (as in, you're better off doing bulk/cut cycles). I'm a little shaky in this area beyond 'you can't build muscle eating at a deficit', but trying to up skill since I plan to build muscle once I'm at goal and want to know the best way to go about it (read: can I do this without going anywhere near a gym??).

bodyweight

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

(Only in Beatles songs.)

Here Nony .. but start now

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

Funnily enough that was one of the first questions I asked when I started here. Someone directed me to this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fourfiftythree/view/calisthenics-roadmap-a-list-of-resources-to-get-started-with-bodyweight-strength-training-694338
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

(Only in Beatles songs.)

bodyweight
    rabbitjb wrote: »

(Only in Beatles songs.)

Here Nony .. but start now

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Yus!!! This is exactly the answer I was hoping for!

(I do some body weight stuff with yoga, but probably not enough)

mysnooop2.gif~c200
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Sun Salutations with chataranga are a great body weight upper body and core workout. I've overdone it from time to time and my triceps and chest complained for days.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Hey presto!

And this is definitely not something that happens on accident as so many people seem to think.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    One thing to note as well. When you are eating at a deficit and lifting weights or even cycling as one person mentioned, the muscles you already have do become harder when you begin using them. That can make some think they are gaining muscle mass as well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    One thing to note as well. When you are eating at a deficit and lifting weights or even cycling as one person mentioned, the muscles you already have do become harder when you begin using them. That can make some think they are gaining muscle mass as well.

I didn't know this. Why do they become harder?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I have no idea, just from using them? Like when you get a good "pump". That's all I meant.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

When you lose about a thousand pounds or so.