low cal breakfast?

rgoulart13
rgoulart13 Posts: 11 Member
Im looking for a good recipe or suggestions for a low calorie/high protein breakfast. I use to drink shakes which were only 100 cals and 17g of protein...sodium was too high though so had to cut them out. Now I'm struggling to find a breakfast that's quick and easy (I have a 16 month old, so this is a must) but that's really low in cals. Any suggestions?!

Replies

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Here's my 6-day-a week breakfast. Gets in most of my day's Vitamin A, and kicks me off with a good heaping helping of protein:

Start by tossing a couple handfuls of spinach into a hot skillet. (Lots and lots of spinach . . . I like to fill the 12 inch skillet because it cooks down so much, and there are almost NO calories in spinach) Once the spinach has wilted and cooked down, put 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg in there and scramble it all together. Yummy! If you want less calories or cholesterol, go with 3 egg whites and no whole eggs . . . the calories and cholesterol are all in the yolk. The protein is all in the white. I don't like the taste of JUST egg white, though, and I find this three to one ratio is still very flavorful.

And, before anyone jumps in . . . yes, I know there are people who say to eat the whole egg, and not just the white. Nonsense. That's like telling someone that you should eat the whole peanut, and not just the inside. Want the protein? Eat the white. Want the calories and cholesterol (and the flavor)? Eat the yolk.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Oh . . . One more thing . . . you can certainly adjust the number of eggs according to your satiety/calorie goals. I think I started out with about twice that many, but over time, as I got used to my new way of eating, I found that I could cut down to this and still be pretty full until lunchtime.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I make easy baked crustless quiche/frittatas so I can heat and eat all week like this bacon/cabbage frittata for 144 calories per 1/4.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,628 Member
    For a quick breakfast I like a toasted Thomas Thin, everything bagel with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter spread on it. And with that, I have .5 cup of LF milk (Lactaid) and .5 of a pink grapefruit. Takes about 5 minutes to prepare and gives you 325 cals, 16 gms protein and 7 gms fiber. And it keeps me full till lunch.

Like Dave, I also love spinach and eggs. I sometimes make an omelet with spinach, onion and a tablespoon of shredded cheese for the filling. Its really good and filling too.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2015
    I make easy baked crustless quiche/frittatas so I can heat and eat all week like this bacon/cabbage frittata for 144 calories per 1/4.

Do you use egg whites to make it so low calorie?

My go-to low calorie breakfasts:
    Protein shake: usually a banana + some almond milk + some protein powder, coming to around 170cal depending on exact proportions

PB2 & J greek yogurt: 140g plain greek yogurt, 10g PB2, 1-2 tbsp jam, around 170 cal as well

Chocolate greek yogurt: 140g plain greek yogurt, 1 tbsp cocoa, 1 tbsp honey, dash of vanilla and salt, small scoop of stevia, around 150-160 cal.
  • rgoulart13
    Thanks everyone...some great ideas! I will def try them all!
  • rgoulart13

Looks and sounds so yummy! Can I have the recipe you use?! I was making quiche in muffin tins and reheating one for breakfast every few days, they were great, but bacon and cabbage sounds awesome!
  • rgoulart13
    barneygood wrote: »

Protein shake: usually a banana + some almond milk + some protein powder, coming to around 170cal depending on exact proportions

PB2 & J greek yogurt: 140g plain greek yogurt, 10g PB2, 1-2 tbsp jam, around 170 cal as well

Chocolate greek yogurt: 140g plain greek yogurt, 1 tbsp cocoa, 1 tbsp honey, dash of vanilla and salt, small scoop of stevia, around 150-160 cal.

What is pb2? Ive seen it listed b4 but not sure what it is
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    rgoulart13 wrote: »
    barneygood wrote: »

What is pb2? Ive seen it listed b4 but not sure what it is

PB2 is powdered peanut butter. There are other companies making it as well, I believe. PB2 on amazon.com