Reactions to veganism

Options
12346»

Replies

• rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The only vegan I know is the gaming department store chickie who sells me the Xbox games/accessories my partner/kids want for their Xbox. I don't think I am qualified to participate in this conversation. I will say though, she is smokin. But then I am sure that's more a personal preference and largely to do with the fact she is a purple streaked hair goth than a vegan :smiley:
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My best friend from jr to adulthood was vegan. i had loads of exposure to her vegan diet...then she went to vegetarian.. so i actually was always really open to trying her weird foods and cooking to accommodate us both. it was never an issue. in fact to this day i use a lot of vegan/vegetarian types of food products because of her. and they taste good..

even though I'm not vegan..people assume i am. lol its not true. they always look at me and say "OH , WHAt, Are you vegan????? its like ummm no.. but if i was.. who cares ahahahaha
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    *confused face* "but...but...CHEESE?!?!!"

I've been vegan 6 weeks. I made the decision after 2 years of unexplained, frequent and debilitating illness. Every 4-6 weeks (at least) would suffer severe nausea often accompanied by migraines, muscle aches and diarrhoea.I also had extremely severe thrush far too regularly . I had every test imaginable but apart from being overweight (not even obese) there was nothing wrong with me. No doctor ever attributed it to being overweight either for the record, they simply reported my results as healthy and offered my antibiotics or antinausea meds. Taking matters into my own hands, I decided to try exclusion to see if the culprit lay in my diet.

I've lost nearly 7kg, I have so much more energy, I no longer crave animal products and I am very happy.

To all those who are similarly happy with their meat diets, good for you.My father is a dairy farmer,my stepfather manages a beef factory
    factory. There is plenty of room for us all and a variety of reasons why we choose to live our lives as we do. Above all, THOSE CHOICES ARE OUR OWN AND NOBODY ELSE'S BUSINESS.

To the furious Christian above, it's funny how quickly you shut down someone you perceived as potentially on verge of attacking your beliefs yet we all have to listen to your ramblings about those of others.

Not all vegans are the same as those you've violently taken against, as not all Christians are like you - or so I certainly hope.
  • Arduinna4
    Arduinna4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a vegetarian for 15 years and now he is trying to go vegan. He became vegetarian after watching a documentary about how they treat animals in varous farms (we both watched but i remained a meat eater). His choice was entirely based on ethical reasons and his love for animals. Now he is trying to go a step further but here in Greece is the hardest thing since vegan products are both rare and extremely expensive.
    I don't have anything against vegans or vegetarians as long as they don't attack me as an "animal killer" or say that i don't respect or love animals. Insects and plants have a "life" and we should protect them too, why stop at animals?
    I have entered various conversations about the natural instict of man, is he a carnivore, a herbivore or an omnivore?
    Homo sapiens ate a variety of animal and plant food and since we are homo sapiens desendants is only natural to eat both meat and plants. This is not an argument against veganism but some of the vegans i know use the "we used to eat only plants so we should go back to that" argument which is false. Having said that, i think we have evolved enough to make our own decisions and as long as we dont enforce them to others, we are free to make a choice and live with it.
    My view to meat eating is that, someone breed, slayed, packed and put on the shelf of the supermarket an animal. The least i can do to honour the life of that animal is eat it.

P.S. Sorry if my English is bad. :)
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Any more funny comments about your choice to go vegan please? :)
    Funny how OP asked fir vegans to comment on stuff people have said to us and the a bunch of people jumped in with why vegans are preachy and do x,y,z.

I have beena vegan for 25 years (I am 42).

Funny you still eat chicken though right .. Yep off the chicken treee in the yard.
    It is special day so can't you put that aside for my husbands birthday to have cake.Said by my mother in law when I was 19. I adore her and didn't take it personally it was just funny.

Since I have been a vegan since the late 80's (1989) in the midwest I often got asked if you could catch it since people assumed it was a medical condition. People barely knew about vegs let alone vegan.

I have also heard from many others how preachy vegans are except that was normally while I was minding my own busniess trying to eat my lunch while someone sat over me telling me why my lunch was gross and asking me if I didn't miss bacon.
    I just let it all roll off my back but people sure do have thoughts on what vegans eat.

It has gotten less so for me over the decades. I think people accepted that it wasn't a youthful phase and that I was likely going to do it for life.

And other people's choices are theirs. My husband is a meat eater, my son is veg till 2 weeks ago when at 13 he went vegan ( his choice not mine). I would just encourage all of you to let us vegans also make our choices without being put under a microscope. Mostly we just want to eat our lunch in peace :-)