Calories burned during exercise help!?

Options
So they say to lose a pound fat you have to burn 500 calories through exercise is this true. I eat 1500 daily and workout 6 days a week for 60-90 minutes and usually burn 350. Will I not lose weight because I'm not burning 500 during every exercise? Please help I am very confused :)

Replies

• sk1nnyf0rm3
    sk1nnyf0rm3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The 500 calories can be burned through exercise or lost through eating under your daily need for maintaining. Also, the 500 number is for if you wanna lose a lb a week.
    Ex: If you need 2000 to maintain your weight and you eat 1500 with no exercise, your losing 500 calories a day by not eating it and (in theory) you should lose a lb even though you're not exercising
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A pound of fat is roughly equivalent to about 3500 calories. So, if you maintain a caloric deficit of 500cals per day, then you should be set to lose about 1lb per week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you need a 500 calorie deficit to lose a pound a week. whether you create that deficit through eating less or exercise, or combination of both is up to.

I would, however, be wary of calories burned estimates as they tend to over estimate big time...