Random Acts of Kindness While Exercising

Options
So I was out on a trail today doing my run/walk and I was jogging uphill when I passed a teenage boy going the other direction. Instead of doing the standard nod or hello, he gave me a thumbs up and said "keep up the good work." This made me smile and gave me motivation to keep going.

What positive experiences have y'all had with random acts of kindness while exercising?

Replies

• nicole_andan
    nicole_andan Posts: 127
    Options
    I use a community gym and a couple of weeks ago when I was signing in a litle boy of about 4 pulled my arm to tell me my shoe laces were undone and that I might trip up and get ouchies! Made me feel a bit happier about walking into the gym that day!!!!!
  • Britterboo22
    Britterboo22 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I usually walk in a friends neighborhood everyday (its one mile around the block) ALL of his neighbors see me out there everyday walking and everyone is so nice and waves..

It makes me feel good that they don't mind me using their neighborhood to get fit LOL
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I was out running last weekend, and a passing driver honked and gave me a thumbs up as he went by. Have had that happen a few times :happy:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Aww! Those are all so nice! I don't really have any bc I tend to zone everything else out when I'm working out.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    the reaction on my daughter's face when i show her my loaded barbell is priceless. :bigsmile:
    Even better when she wants to do some of the exercises with me using a 5 lb bar or light weights.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    So I was out on a trail today doing my run/walk and I was jogging uphill when I passed a teenage boy going the other direction. Instead of doing the standard nod or hello, he gave me a thumbs up and said "keep up the good work." This made me smile and gave me motivation to keep going.

What positive experiences have y'all had with random acts of kindness while exercising?

I asked a guy to spot me. He did. That was nice.

But the BEST random act of kindness was when people mind their own business in the gym. I really like that.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting, I felt very uncomfortable on my own in the weights room and it probably showed. One of the regulars would always offer me the use of a bench if he was using one and I was waiting. He's a nice guy who I am on chatty terms with now, and will do such random acts of kindness for anyone. Wish more people were like him.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    A guy at the gym stopped me as I was walking by the other day and said he hadn't been in for several months and then told me how good I looked and to keep up the good work. Another guy complimented me on my jump rope skills. Our gym is very encouraging this way.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I saved a young guy from under a barbell on the bench earlier this week. I chuckled and told him at least he was working hard!

My wife gets constant encouragement and form help from a couple of other experienced lifters in our gym.

We had one giant *kitten* hat start screaming at a couple of people about a week ago and several guys got involved. He's now banned.

We're not allowed to drop weights and we can't use chalk, but other than that it's a great place to work out.
  • JoyceMakker
    JoyceMakker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I once high fived a group of kids who were walking in the opposite direction while I was jogging. It didn't have much to do with the exercise, but it made both parties happy! It's the little things, right? :)
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i once ran over to a guy who didnt use clips doing BB press, he unknowingly put different size plates on each end and when he tried to lift he obviously lost balance and the BB was falling down to the side... i ran over to lift the weight back up and see that he was ok.

once some older dude was on the treadmill next to me and he dropped his watch on it and he started bending down to pick it up...i could see where this was heading, he was about to fall on his face so i told him to keep walking and i jumped off my treadmill to pick his watch up for him.

when i first started lifting someone stopped me while i was deadlifting to show me proper form, he was worried i was going to hurt my back with the form i was using. he was right.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Wish I had one. The only thing I ever get is sometimes when I'm working out at the gym and there are a couple like husband/wife, girlfriend/boyfriend working out together, the man immediately runs up next to her as if to say "NO, I was not looking at her boobs, I am right by your side" and then sometimes when working out outside a man who is walking alongside same SO will immediately grab her hand and kiss her as she stares at me wide eyed as if to say, "NO, I was not looking at her boobs, I am right by your side"

In both instances I choose to take it as a compliment rather than the awkward situation it actually is for me as I try to continue walking/working out as if that hadn't just happened. So those are my high fives right now, just not getting socked in the face by said ladies, and not getting pushed out of the way by their husbands trying to prove their commitment. Kinda wish I could get my husband to workout with me, but he's tired from work he gets enough activity in his day already and I have to do it alone. I don't know if the day will ever come where someone is actually happy for me for working out, but if it doesn't that's okay, I'm happy for me. So there's that.