Quitting Sugar - any success stories out there

Options

Replies

• NorthWoodsMomma
    NorthWoodsMomma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, not eating sugar is pretty much the definition of less energy. But to be honest, it just sounds like your calorie goal may be too low, especially if you don't eat your exercise calories.

This.

Also, when OP states drastically are we talking from like 100g to like 0? Or is under 20g daily drastically reducing?

Essentially fruits etc will add to this but not really too significant holding moderation/intake etc. But that is another topic

Explore intake requirements for you based on age/activity level. The idea of reducing sugar is a good start but energy will have to come from somewhere and each diet should have those micronutrients so some sugars are inevitable. Show me someone who has zero sugar and that is someone who doesn't even eat fruit..no one says you have to have fruit but again, micros along with protein/fat/carb etc.

My 2 cents: Adjust intake, moderation over elimination. :) Best of luck and great job on being so active!

Of note: sodium intake. Different topic as well but often I find those that deal in absolutes (all or nothing) can at times reduce their sodium so low as well, which again works but we still need some sodium at some point or another. Drastically reducing sodium will of course have the body adjust and there is various positives that sodium (moderation) gives especially when involving training.
    Thanks!
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Why are people recommending eating beans? I have not heard that before. What do beans do to help with energy?

Also, a side note: Just wondering? Why do you choose not to eat meat but eating baby chickens is ok? I never understood that.
  • Balance_Moderation
    Balance_Moderation Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow, only 1270 calories? No wonder you have no energy. This is a pretty good article. Why quit sugar? All things in moderation... ca.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt/food-addiction.html
  • Balance_Moderation
    Balance_Moderation Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Use a GOOD calculator to calculate your calories, too NOT MFP. MFP says I should be eating just a wee bit over 1500 -- Um my BMR is 1520 :# I use Scooby Workshop for my calculator and it recommends for a modest deficit (10%) I should be eating 2300 calories and guess what? I am down 10 pounds. I highly recommend checking out the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group here. They'll help you figure out your calories based off of your exercise and daily activity. 1200 is WAY TOO LOW!!
  • NorthWoodsMomma
    Options
    Why are people recommending eating beans? I have not heard that before. What do beans do to help with energy?

Also, a side note: Just wondering? Why do you choose not to eat meat but eating baby chickens is ok? I never understood that.

I've just never enjoyed the smell, taste or texture of meat. I know there are lean choices available but I can't stomach any of them at all.
  • NorthWoodsMomma
    Options
    Use a GOOD calculator to calculate your calories, too NOT MFP. MFP says I should be eating just a wee bit over 1500 -- Um my BMR is 1520 :# I use Scooby Workshop for my calculator and it recommends for a modest deficit (10%) I should be eating 2300 calories and guess what? I am down 10 pounds. I highly recommend checking out the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group here. They'll help you figure out your calories based off of your exercise and daily activity. 1200 is WAY TOO LOW!!
    I'll have to check that out, thanks!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy it. Some things you have to cut cold turkey, like a bad boyfriend. I do buy cookies but the sugar free variety. I keep my protein high (about 30% of my food, fat around 25% and carbs around 45%) that seems to be a good combo for me to keep my blood sugars stable so I'm not craving anything. I don't crave sweets eating this way. I do have cookies, but usually buy the no sugar added ones. Near the end of the day, if my protein isn't up there, I'll have some greek yogurt to up the levels without added fat. You need to tweak your diet as you go. 1200 calories seems a little low to me if you're active every day. My base calories is 1600 and that's before factoring in working out.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    More eggs and plain yogurt. 2 cups of plain yogurt is 200 calories and 20g of protein. It will help with sugar while you're in with drawls.
    Eggs and yogurt are two of my favorites so I'll try that.

Um, you do realize yogurt is pretty high in sugar right? 1 cup of plain yogurt has 12-17g of sugar in it.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt only has about 5g of sugar in it and no fat.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt with fruit, low fat cheese and cottage cheese, beans, and peanut butter--I get the freshly ground type.

Sugar, sugar and more sugar ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Slow burning carbohydrates. For me, they gave me a lot of energy when I cut out added sugars (especially when I stopped drinking soda).

http://www.slowcarbfoodie.com/2011/07/23/what-kind-of-beans-should-i-eat-the-great-slow-carb-bean-index/

There's the nutrients. I usually suggest 1/2 a cup, though, rather than a cup.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    More eggs and plain yogurt. 2 cups of plain yogurt is 200 calories and 20g of protein. It will help with sugar while you're in with drawls.

Too bad both eggs and yogurt contain sugar...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Let the trolling begin.
  • Acg67
    Options

Let the trolling begin.

How is a factual statement trolling?

If someone states they want to quit sugar, wouldn't the actual trolling statement be the one about increasing eating sugar containing foods?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Let the trolling begin.

If someone states they want to quit sugar, wouldn't the actual trolling statement be the one about increasing eating sugar containing foods?

Yawn SSDD
  • Acg67
    Options

Slow burning carbohydrates. For me, they gave me a lot of energy when I cut out added sugars (especially when I stopped drinking soda).

http://www.slowcarbfoodie.com/2011/07/23/what-kind-of-beans-should-i-eat-the-great-slow-carb-bean-index/

There's the nutrients. I usually suggest 1/2 a cup, though, rather than a cup.

Why not tell her the truth, people are trolling her by suggesting high sugar products like beans
  • Acg67
    Options

Let the trolling begin.

Yawn SSDD

Exactly, baseless accusations of trolling from you
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Years ago I cut out high fructose corn syrup to help manage my triglycerides. I never missed it after it was gone. This year, I gave up artificial sweeteners but kept real sugars - I add honey to plain yogurt and eat a cup of blueberries or strawberries at mid-morning. I didn't think I'd feel much difference - I just wanted to break all my food addictions, and artificial sweeteners and diet coke were huge ones. But amazingly, giving it up and getting my sugars naturally ended all my cravings for sweets and junk foods. I never got an energy boost from sugar - if anything eating it made me lazier - so all I can recommend is trying to add tea, even caffeine-free Rooibos teas - for added energy. Oh! And take. A vitamin D supplement - we're all vitamin D deficient in North America, and one of its symptoms is fatigue. I felt way more alert the week I started taking vitamin D.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    megsmith45 wrote: »
    Years ago I cut out high fructose corn syrup to help manage my triglycerides. I never missed it after it was gone. This year, I gave up artificial sweeteners but kept real sugars - I add honey to plain yogurt and eat a cup of blueberries or strawberries at mid-morning. I didn't think I'd feel much difference - I just wanted to break all my food addictions, and artificial sweeteners and diet coke were huge ones. But amazingly, giving it up and getting my sugars naturally ended all my cravings for sweets and junk foods. I never got an energy boost from sugar - if anything eating it made me lazier - so all I can recommend is trying to add tea, even caffeine-free Rooibos teas - for added energy. Oh! And take. A vitamin D supplement - we're all vitamin D deficient in North America, and one of its symptoms is fatigue. I felt way more alert the week I started taking vitamin D.

Did your triglycerides go down?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Bit of misinformation here as MFP isn't a TDEE calculator.
    The MFP goal is plus exercise calories, Scooby isn't and I don't suppose you dialled in the same rate of weight loss into both Scooby and MFP either.