Is anyone else on phentermine? If so, how is it going?

Options
I had my first appointment with my local weight loss clinic today and will take my first phentermine pill in the morning. I also had a B12-lipo shot today. Has anyone seen success with these?

Replies

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between phentermine and the fen fen stuff that was damaging people's hearts a few years back?
  • chelcealuvs9
    chelcealuvs9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine 2 years ago and lost about 50 pounds in 4 months. It worked amazing for me!! I miss it and unfortunately can't take it because I'm breastfeeding but it worked great for me ☺ what dose are you on? Good luck!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't have personal experience but I have seen numerous threads on here with some pretty scary stories .. you may wish to / not wish to search
  • treadmills_and_dinosaurs
    Options
    What's the difference between phentermine and the fen fen stuff that was damaging people's hearts a few years back?
    Fen-fen was a combination drug. It included Fenfluramine hence the "fen-phen". Fenfluramine was outlawed in the U.S. It was a weight loss med that "utilized two anorectics. Fenfluramine was marketed by American Home Products (later known as Wyeth) as Pondimin, but was shown to cause potentially fatal pulmonary hypertension and heart valve problems, which eventually led to its withdrawal and legal damages of over $13 billion. Phentermine was not shown to have harmful effects.
    Fenfluramine acts as a serotonin releasing agent, phentermine as a norepinephrine, dopamine and serotonin releasing agent."
    I have researched it before, but of course that little tid bit came from Wikipedia. However, I CAN speak on terms of Phentermine somewhat. I recently started it on Friday May 22. I took my first pill Saturday morning, the 23rd. As of today, the 27th, I am down 9.6lbs and steadily losing at about .8-1.3lbs a day. It seems extreme, but bare with me, I also weigh 282 at the moment so I have weight to lose and it usually happens to bigger people in the beginning a little more rapidly. I am also on a healthier diet and try to hit the gym for at least 30 minutes 2-3x a week if not more. I was told by my dr that I may feel the jitters or feel wired for the first 4-6 days, until my body adjusts, but I have had absolutely ZERO noticeable side effects. I have felt more energized than I have felt in a very long time. It has given me an all around better mood as well. I have more ability to get up and play with my four year old son who is extremely active. I take 37.5mg, half at ten am and half at 3pm to wear off around 10pm or so (I told the dr I normally go to sleep around 10 or 11 so these were the medicine dosage times he gave me individually).
    I have no cravings (thank God!), it has made me more aware of WHAT I am actually eating, I feel much fuller sooner, so it has also helped me gauge portion control. PLUS, since I know I won't have much of an appetite while I am taking the pills, I know I have to eat GOOD foods that will nourish my body.

In my experience, I love my phentermine 37.5mg. I know that what I am doing for ME is safe and effective. I also know, that not everyone is the same. Some people do experience the jitters or dry mouth that I have heard of and read. So just be open with your doctor. Mine did a full panel blood work on me, checked me head to toe. I have never had a history of any health problems outside of meningitis when I was three and an ovarian cyst for a year after my son was born which is now gone. My only problem has ever been the number on the scale. But good luck to you and all those wondering out there!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I took it a few years ago and it was a great aid for dropping 50 lbs...I gained back 20 over the years and want to lose a bit more. so far I have been successful without it this round. I was prescribed the 37.5 but could do fine on a half dose or a full dose every other day. It was nice to stretch the prescription. Only side affects were a buzzy feeling, that went away after the first few days, and dry mouth...which was good as well for drinking lots of water.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I don't have personal experience but I have seen numerous threads on here with some pretty scary stories .. you may wish to / not wish to search

I can speak to heart arrythmias, and what ERs do to regulate them when your heart is at 200+ BPM resting and won't come down. It's not fun.
    I have not, and will never, take phentermine; but living with a heart arrythmia, I can say that taking something that can cause heart palpitations as a side effect is not something to mess with.