walking/running shoes...brand?

Options

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have Brooks, Asics and Nike Fushions that I rotate, depending on what I'm doing. I really like the Nike Fushions and have put a lot of miles on them running and those are probably the most comfortable and lightest. I got fitted for the Asics and really like those as well but I think the Brooks are slightly more comfortable.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have Brooks sneakers, and they're the most durable, comfy sneakers I've ever owned. Seriosly, I've gone miles and miles in these, and they're still in good shape. Most good athletic shoe places will have someone who knows how to fit your specific feet to a good pair, though. A little pricier than just grabbing some off the rack, but if you're making a point to get a LOT of use out of those shoes, it's totally worth it.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love Mizunos but everyone is so different. Go to a specialty running store and they can really help you get the right shoe for your body. And as you get smaller you may even have to change shoe models, I know I did when I gained weight.
  • eperezamora
    eperezamora Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have wide feet and a high arch .. I tend lean towards, Nike and new balance. But before you purchase, you should get your feet checked. just so they can check your arch for you..
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of Asics for the first time and I love them. Some adjust for pronated feet (under or over) and others are neutral. Since my feet are under-pronated (if you don't know a quick trip to Google will help you figure it out) my shoes are technically corrective shoes and they have gel padding. They are by far the best pair of running shoes I've ever owned!

Seconding this. My Asics have helped clear up my shin splints and are comfortable to both jog in and to wear all day at work.
  • kitmusic
    kitmusic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My advice is that if you're going to walk consistently, you need to go get fitted. You can go to your local running store and tell them your goals. They'll have you walk on a treadmill to see how your feet move, and then they'll have you try on several pair of shoes. Be ready to pay around $100 or more, but if you use them only for walking or running, they should last a while, depending on how often you walk and how far you walk. I have New Balance right now, and I really like them! But, I got fitted at the store. To me, it's worth the money!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I used to love the Nike Shox.
    The pair I had before now were Mizuno.
    I currently have Adidas Supernova Glide 5's.

If you can, you ought to go into a running store and try on shoe after shoe until you find one you really like. The store I go to has a mini-track and I"ll put on a pair of shoes and take a quick lap to see how they feel.

Good luck! :)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If you have a Road Runner Sports store near you, they have a 90 day return policy.....even if "you bring them back covered in mud"....allegedly. I will be testing out this theory within the next week.......as the ones they fit me in are giving me more problems than they are solving, unfortunately.

Good luck....there are lots of choices out there.

This is true; a friend of mine just exchanged shoes at RR Sports that had a couple hundred miles on them.

I started with Mizunos and switched to Asics several years ago. I have high arches and wear a neutral shoe. I just started wearing the Asics Gel Blur 33s - they're a more minimal shoe than what I've worn in the past. So far I like them a lot.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    I like new balance, and ryka, but it depends on the shape of your foot more than anything. My sister swears by asics.
    Go to a large footwear store and start by getting fitted and trying on as many pairs (walk and jog around in them!) as you ahve the patience for.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I went to a so-called local specialty shop and was fitted for running shoes. They seemed just OK no better than something I'd have picked out on my own. I went to a different shop where they really spent time getting me fitted. They took the lining out of my shoe to examine the wear, checked my feet, my walking gait, running gait at various speeds (gave me some tips too) and told me to go run around the block a couple of times. Those were the perfect ones but they insisted I try two more pairs for comparison. First run in them I increased my speed, distance and my knees felt way better. Check yelp reviews for local stores and go to a good one.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Nike. I started c25k in nikes, I trained a whole year to run a marathon in nikes..yeah they sponsored me, but I'd pay double for how awesome they are...and how well they worked for me.
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Brooks all the way!! I will never buy another brand after switching!

On my 2nd pair now - love 'em!
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have never found a comfortable pair of shoes yet. Started with Asics because my boss is a runner & a friend of mine that runs both think they are great ... hurt my feet. I have seen on here a lot about Brooks so I now have a pair of Brooks, uncomfortable. No place in town does this "fitting" that everyone talks about using a treadmill. We have a ****s Sporting opening late summer, early fall & I have heard that they do the specialized fitting so I'm hoping they do and am hoping it makes a difference.
  • gimmecoffeeiv
    gimmecoffeeiv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always buy Saucony. The just fit me the best. I bought some lighter weight running shoes last time and I love the way they feel. They have great support.

Just want to add that getting fitted is really the best idea. I know what shoes and size I can wear now but I got fitted at Fleet Feet first. I am not an expert by any means, but I was told to buy shoes that are 1 size bigger than I normally wear to avoid hitting my toes against the ends while running. Some people have an issue with this for whatever reason (vanity?) but it really made a difference in how my shoes felt while I was running.
  • KPeelman1
    KPeelman1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Have you tried Ryka's yet? A nurse recommended them to me (because she is on her feet all day). Once I tried them, I've been hooked. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn!
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    Thank you to everyone! I think you all are right when you say get fitted. I have no idea why I have such a hard time going into a sports store and asking for help, I guess I feel the looks may be blah but who cares right!? At least I am doing something! So seeing as how most of you say fitted...i guess fitted it is...so far none of the stores anyone has posted is close to my home town i guess ill have to do some looking around for that!!!

Thank you all!!!!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Thank you to everyone! I think you all are right when you say get fitted. I have no idea why I have such a hard time going into a sports store and asking for help, I guess I feel the looks may be blah but who cares right!? At least I am doing something! So seeing as how most of you say fitted...i guess fitted it is...so far none of the stores anyone has posted is close to my home town i guess ill have to do some looking around for that!!!

Thank you all!!!!

damn right who cares :) I was looking for shoes this weekend (my 3rd trip looking for shoes) and still having no luck because every pair of shoes except like 2 pairs always looks like the 80s vomitted all over them lately 0.o and the sales people were very helpful and not judgy :) even if they were who cares at least I am getting back into shape :)

and to be honest I used to be one of the uber fit people (elite athlete) and I never judged over-weight people :) so they might not be judging at all :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I have walking shoes from Earth shoes. They have the negative heel design, so it's more like walking in sand. They're comfortable, give good support, and they're holding up really well. The one drawback is that having your heels lower does shift your balance slightly, and than can make things like weighted squats extra-challenging, at least until you get used to them.
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that you should get a fitting done!

I wear Merrell Barefoot shoes - they're sooooo comfy. My second choice was a pair of New Balance but the back was way too high; it would have given me a blister in no time (I have this problem with most shoes). The Merrells have a nice low back that I noticed for about one run and not since. They're even comfortable on gravel - I'd say I feel about 1.5 rocks per mile, which is about the same as my previous shoes. (Considering how thick the soles were on them, I shouldn't have felt ANY rocks.) I mostly run on sand/dirt, though. That said, find a shoe that works for your feet!
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Asics are a good seller for runner. Go to a store that has long isle try them on walk in them for a while. Jump up and down.