Best healthy snacks to have at work?

Options
I was just looking for some healthy snack ideas that I can eat at work in between meals that are easy to reach for / don't require a lot of preparation. I often have nuts and dried fruit but have heard dried fruit can have a lot of sugar in it and isn't necessarily a good option.

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit doesn't usually have any more sugar in than fresh fruit (unless it's been added). The problem is that the drying makes it so small. I could easily eat 12-15 dried apricots in 10 minutes without feeling full at all but would never manage more than 2-3 fresh apricots at a sitting.

I drink coconut water at work. It's disgusting if it isn't chilled so that means I don't graze on it all day, I only go to the fridge when I can get a spare moment, which isn't often.
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    I buy hummus and put them in little tubs of 20g each. Pair that with carrot sticks in little snack bags and I walk out the door. The other thing I like with my hummus is lentil chips; again buy a bag and divide it up in snack bags.
  • Laura_buthlay
    Laura_buthlay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks both, what are lentil chips out of interest and where can I find them?
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am currently having protein jello, packet of sugar-free jello with vanilla whey protein mixed in. Yummy and filling and takes a while to finish so im snacking for a while on it.
  • susiebabygirl
    susiebabygirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I usually buy a pack of kiwis and some yoghurt and bring them in at the start of the week. I find that handy because there's no preparation involved really.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I keep a bag of nuts or seeds in my drawer at work, and just have a handful if the mood takes me.

Often I'll take a whole punnet of grapes, or bag of small oranges or kiwis, and munch my way through them over the week.

Big tub of yogurt in the office fridge will last me a week of snacks.

Pot of prepared edamame beans with a little bit of sea salt is a goody too if you like those.

As above I do like lentil chips too - our staff restaurant sells them and also quinoa chips, it's not uncommon for me to spread a bag of them over a few weeks.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The problem is that the drying makes it so small. I could easily eat 12-15 dried apricots in 10 minutes without feeling full at all but would never manage more than 2-3 fresh apricots at a sitting.

This! Same for nuts, I binge on them and man they add up quickly in calories!

I like to bring a banana, apple, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, rice crackers, some hard boiled eggs. I also like to bring a bit of peanut butter with either apple or cucumber. Sometimes, I prepare a salad to take with me (often baby spinach, bell peper, cherry tomatoes and eggs and/or tuna). A low fat drink yoghurt... You should also google some recipes on making your own breakfast/nut/protein bars or energy balls. Fun and easy to make in the weekend, and they last all week. You can put in there exactly what you want!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Nuts and jerky are my go to.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Pre-portioned nuts, fresh fruit, string cheese, yogurt.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I am currently having protein jello, packet of sugar-free jello with vanilla whey protein mixed in. Yummy and filling and takes a while to finish so im snacking for a while on it.

this ill have to try
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond almonds in smokehouse and wasabi flavors are great. 14 almonds are about 85 calories and I feel that they really do satisfy hunger if lunch is a while off. I also like string cheese. The WW brand sells string cheese sticks that are only 60 calories each. Finally, one of my favorite snacks is garlic hummus and celery or carrot sticks.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    Baby bel cheese
    Laughing Cow cheese wedges
    (I like cheese, ok?) :)
    Finn Crisps
    Low fat crackers
    Cottage cheese
    Baby carrots