Toning muscle, losing inches...one in the same?

Options
I'm new to this so please help. I started this journey in January with one goal, eat less and lose pounds.

Now five months in I've learned so much and the scale has some importance, but not my main focus. My question is today I logged in and although dropped 2.5lbs on the scale in the last couple weeks, I haven't lost any inches from my waist or hips in the last month. I am using the Fitnessblender 8week calendar and halfway through. I can see some changes in my comparison shots, they are minor, but they are there. So I'm wondering if this is normal, to be toning the muscles but not losing inches or is that the same thing? Since the start I have consistently dropped an inch/month from both hips and waist. That was with little to no workouts though. I would love to know what is normal and what to expect as I go on. TIA

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    it will depend how much fat you carry on your waist and hips? losing an inch a week wont be sustainable for the whole of your weight loss I wouldn't have thought.

'Toning' is basically losing body fat.
  • dawnrpurvis
    dawnrpurvis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    it will depend how much fat you carry on your waist and hips? losing an inch a week wont be sustainable for the whole of your weight loss I wouldn't have thought.

'Toning' is basically losing body fat.

Just thought I'd mention she said inch a month, not week, which is totally sustainable.

For the OP -

YMMV but I found that once I started working out that for about a month the scale stayed the same, and my measurements varied (went up on some parts of my body, went down on others) but I started noticing the difference in the mirror.

I personally thing I look better at a higher weight but fitter than I did at a lower weight without exercise!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this so please help. I started this journey in January with one goal, eat less and lose pounds.

Now five months in I've learned so much and the scale has some importance, but not my main focus. My question is today I logged in and although dropped 2.5lbs on the scale in the last couple weeks, I haven't lost any inches from my waist or hips in the last month. I am using the Fitnessblender 8week calendar and halfway through. I can see some changes in my comparison shots, they are minor, but they are there. So I'm wondering if this is normal, to be toning the muscles but not losing inches or is that the same thing? Since the start I have consistently dropped an inch/month from both hips and waist. That was with little to no workouts though. I would love to know what is normal and what to expect as I go on. TIA
    You can't 'tone' a muscle. Muscle is muscle, fat is fat. Like Tavistock said, 'toning' is losing fat to reveal the muscle underneath.