Diabetic trying to tone up

Hi, I'm a T1 diabetic guy who has recently been on a diet and lost 2.5 stone in 2 months. I'm now a healthy weight (166lbs) but am looking to gain some muscle and tone up. Can anybody please recommend the sort of exercises I should be doing and the foods I should be eating? Thank you :)

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Anything anyone else is doing, cept for maybe barefoot running. Otherwise find something you enjoy and stick with it.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Foods you should be eating? Follow a healthy, balanced diabetic diet. You do not want to eat too much protein (although it helps build muscle, it puts undue stress on your kidneys) so just focus on keeping your diet balanced.

As for getting toned, my husband (latent adult onset Type 1) is currently doing P90 which is a mix of cardio and strength training. We also walk almost daily. As @shabaity said, you don't want to do any barefoot running but there's no reason you can't do any type of exercise anyone else can do. Check your glucose levels before you exercise and keep snacks handy in case you feel your sugar dropping. Over time, you'll find you're using less insulin.

Check with your doctor but my husband doesn't exercise when his glucose levels are 150+.