Low impact exercise for injury prone

Options
roge0195
roge0195 Posts: 23 Member
I have low bone density and my doctor recommended some dietary changes and exercise to improve it.

I tried jogging last summer and got a stress fracture on my ankle that I keep re injuring doing basic tasks like walking, going on the stairs, tripping on air (I'm clumsy). I broke my toe doing yoga 2 years ago. I used to do Pilates reformer weekly but the ankle injury stopped that and I've gained 20 lbs since last summer as a result.)

I want to lose weight (50 lbs) and improve my balance. I also read that strength training builds bone density.

I do not have a gym membership. At home I have a stair step, Bosu ball, set of resistance bands, 10# hand weights, 10# medicine ball and a yoga mat. Willing to buy more small equipment if necessary (just not an elliptical or anything huge).

Any recommendations for plans / videos / books to get me started? Techniques to stabilize the ankle and prevent re-injury?

(Doctor did give me some physical therapy exercises to strengthen the bad ankle. So far so good.)

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Lifting to build muscle (and bone density, as well as stronger ligaments and tendons) will require more weights than the weights you have available. Without progressive overload it'll be much harder to make progress to that goal.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Look up Daniel Bartlett on YouTube. He has exercise routines for low impact on up to HIIT. And in some programs he incorporated weights. I like his programs.