Bad soda! nnnnno!

2»

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited May 2015
    I don't drink diet sodas because I only ever see fat people drinking them.
  • beemerphile1
    edited May 2015
    polijex wrote: »
    all of these replies are great the differences between them are difficult to judge which is better lol. some say soda will kill you some say they dont matter if they are . tough decision but can come to the best decision with these thanks peeps.

You begin to die the day you are born. Some things can speed up the process. :p
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Quoted from:

http://www.rodalenews.com/facts-about-soda?page=2

It's not surprising that drinking all the sugar in sodas would cause weight gain, but what is surprising is that even diet soda will pack on the pounds: Researchers from the University of Texas Health Science Center monitored 475 adults for 10 years, and found that those who drank diet soda had a 70 percent increase in waist circumference over the 10-year study, compared with those who didn't drink any soda. Those who drank more than two diet sodas per day saw a 500 percent waist expansion! A separate study the same researchers conducted on mice suggested that it was the aspartame, which raised blood glucose levels, that caused the weight gain; when your liver encounters too much glucose, the excess is converted to body fat.
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    For me personally - since cutting back on the diet soda I am now eating less and not as hungry. I think for me though I always had the habit of having a snack with the soda so it would just start a cycle that never ended lol. I haven't compleatly cut it out but drink a lot less.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    What do animals drink? That's what you should drink
    rabbitjb wrote: »

What? Puddles?

Water from the toilet?
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    I don't think it's "bad" but I try to stay away from artificial sweetners and the carbonation...diet or regular, make me feel bloated. So I only have one (diet always) once in awhile. I drink mostly water and green tea. And wine or beer when I cheat...lol
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    As I'm drinking a Sugar Free Monster.. Hopefully I don't die.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member

I'm 108 pounds and drink Coke Zero. I hope your comment was supposed to be satirical.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    What's FUD?

FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, & Doubt...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    I don't think it's "bad" but I try to stay away from artificial sweetners and the carbonation...diet or regular, make me feel bloated. So I only have one (diet always) once in awhile. I drink mostly water and green tea. And wine or beer when I cheat...lol

There is a good solution to the bloating from carbonation: a good burp.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    What's FUD?

I've heard it used by the Marketing department: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

"Competitor is gaining market share, so we should start a FUD campaign against them to nip that in the bud"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    edited May 2015
    polijex wrote: »
    all of these replies are great the differences between them are difficult to judge which is better lol. some say soda will kill you some say they dont matter if they are . tough decision but can come to the best decision with these thanks peeps.
    Have NEVER heard of anyone succumbing to death due to consumption of soda whether diet or regular. Soda is neither good nor bad. Where it becomes a problem for ANYONE is if the amount they drink far exceeds 3 cans a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Lol, so in other words pond water, river water, lake water that is all untreated?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Lol, fat people also eat steak, sushi and bacon.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Once I finally stopped listening to all the fear mongerers about soda (regular and diet), I learned that the most "dangerous" ingredient in soda is water. You'd have to drink so much of it that before any of the other ingredients reach a level of toxicity, you would die from an overconsumption of water first. Everything in moderation!

Diet soda helps satisfy my sweet tooth when I'm out of calories for the day. The bubbles fill me up, too, so double bonus! It also helps me at lunchtime, too, when I'm trying to save my calories for later in the day. I just have to watch it on the caffeine. If I have it too many days in a row, I'll get withdrawal headaches when I stop. And if I have it too close to bed time, I'll be up longer than I want.

If I can squeeze a regular soda in every now and then, that's cool, too. Pop is delicious! Dr. Pepper is a favorite of mine, regular, Ten, or diet. :blush:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    What's FUD?

It's also Scottish slang for ....ladybits ;)
  • ninerbuff
    moesis wrote: »
    Quoted from:

http://www.rodalenews.com/facts-about-soda?page=2

It's not surprising that drinking all the sugar in sodas would cause weight gain, but what is surprising is that even diet soda will pack on the pounds: Researchers from the University of Texas Health Science Center monitored 475 adults for 10 years, and found that those who drank diet soda had a 70 percent increase in waist circumference over the 10-year study, compared with those who didn't drink any soda. Those who drank more than two diet sodas per day saw a 500 percent waist expansion! A separate study the same researchers conducted on mice suggested that it was the aspartame, which raised blood glucose levels, that caused the weight gain; when your liver encounters too much glucose, the excess is converted to body fat.
    You better get the ADA to change their recommendation of diet soda as an option then if it's raising glucose levels.

Just noting the correlation isn't causation. The trend of global warming has increased the pirate population. Truth.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    What's FUD?

It's also Scottish slang for ....ladybits ;)

I did not know that....I'll keep that in mind when I get to Edinburgh! :o
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2015
    Opinions can be rated on merit. What is the quality of the evidence? I say there are no bad foods or drinks. Enjoy it all, following the Platonic model of moderation. I drink diet because I don't like wasting my calorie budget on drinks. I also enjoy a wide variety of teas.

If we truly were surrounded by dangerous foods, a lot more people would be dying. Rather I believe many are developing increasing fastidiousness because they do hope to live forever.

Life is no longer brutish or short.

At least one SF writer anticipated our increasingly narcisstic, fastidious, germophobe generation; Asimov. http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/11/the_caves_of_steel_the_naked_sun_isaac_asimov_s_portrayal_of_radical_life.html
  • beemerphile1

I'm 108 pounds and drink Coke Zero. I hope your comment was supposed to be satirical.

Actually I paraphrased a quote from the actress Joan Collins. She once said that the reason she didn't drink diet soda was "because you never see skinny people drinking it". :)