Hey, what is everyone doing to reach their weight loss goals?

Currently I'm trying to lose 40 pounds & to reach this goal I've been doing Shaun T's Rockin Body workout & as of today I will be doing 20 min of rope jumping. & about a week ago is when I started counting calories. What motivates me most is how much I desire to live a healthier lifestyle. What about you? What are you doing to reach their weight loss goals? What motivates you to do it?

Feel free to add me!! We can do this together!! (:

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I ate at a defecit, weighing and logging

I got a PT and got fit and strong with progressive weight resistance and hit the gym three times a week

I got a fitbit and got more generally active

Now I'm at maintenance and the only difference is I eat more calories
  • breetee91
    breetee91 Posts: 8 Member
    That's awesome!! I've been seeing a lot of people talking about fitbit & was thinking about getting one myself to help along my journey.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I'm 2lbs away from my 40 pound goal.

I count calories and consistently eat at or under my calorie goal every day. I bought a food scale and I weigh everything on it. I've added more activity in the form of running, aerobics, strength training and such. I commute to work by bike 3-4 days a week. I track everything in a spreadsheet so as to wait out the fluctuations and have patience with my plan.

CICO works.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm using calorie deficit. What y'all using?

My motivation is sex and lots of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited May 2015
    when I lost my 40 Lbs, I simply ate a little less and moved a little more.

weight loss was not my motivation, health was. when health and fitness are your motivation, you tend to do things like eat more healthfully and eat in proper portions and exercise more and consume less alcohol, etc...you do things that are typical of a healthy lifestyle...a nice bi-product of good livin' is losing/maintaining a healthy weight.

I personally think if people put more emphasis on the actual health aspect, they would find things a lot easier than being so scale-centric.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Eating at a deficit.

Weighing and logging my food. Well almost all my food, but I'm still losing.

Strength training with dumbbells, some cardio... only about 20 mins is all I can stand of cardio.

Workout 5 days a week for about 45 - 75 mins.

Having a lot of patience, managing my weight loss expections helps. Realizing I'm not going to lose as fast as I'd like but as long as I'm losing (.5 a week! exactly what I wanted when I joined MFP) then I must be doing it right!

Also, going over the first post in this thread several times helped me:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Ate less and moved more.

What motivates me? I'm about as motivated to eat less and move more as I am when I take a shower in the morning. Hint: I'm not. I do it because I have to, not because I want to.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited May 2015
    I am 6 pounds away from my goal weight after losing 51 pounds. I exercise 4-6 times a week. Since I got my fitbit 3 weeks ago I have been doing a lot more walking/running to win fitbit challenges, so that's has been extremely helpful with losing weight as well. Food-wise currently I am doing 1800 calories a day, no eating back exercise calories.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    I'm eating at a deficit, ensuring my deficit is accurate by weighing my food & logging everything, and working out moderately 5-6 days a week (except this week, because I tore a ligament in my back). Other than that... nothing. No special diet, no eliminating food groups, no branded gyms, no time limits on meals. Just deficit, accuracy, and moving around.
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    breetee91 wrote: »
    That's awesome!! I've been seeing a lot of people talking about fitbit & was thinking about getting one myself to help along my journey.

I also have a fitbit and love it. At first it didn't do anything for me, but once I started seeing exercise calories added and the weather turned nice, I started walking more. Now I want to do 10,000 steps every day, minimum. I also weigh everything I can, plus swim 3 days a week.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited May 2015
    I eat less to lose weight.

I exercise to gain fitness.

You don't need a fitbit or any special (expensive) infomercial exercise plan. All you need to do is eat less calories than your body uses.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    when I lost my 40 Lbs, I simply ate a little less and moved a little more.

weight loss was not my motivation, health was. when health and fitness are your motivation, you tend to do things like eat more healthfully and eat in proper portions and exercise more and consume less alcohol, etc...you do things that are typical of a healthy lifestyle...a nice bi-product of good livin' is losing/maintaining a healthy weight.

I personally think if people put more emphasis on the actual health aspect, they would find things a lot easier than being so scale-centric.

Agreed.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    When I started out I ate at a big deficit and worked out like a crazy person. I nearly starved myself but yeah I lost a ton of weight. Then I got smart. These days I have a variety of exercises that I enjoy daily, I eat to perform e.g., I make sure everything I put into my body serves a purposed based on the activities and calorie target of the day. Drink tons of water, keep moving, get adequate sleep. I eat very low calories but foods that are nutrient rich, I mix up cardio, weights, endurance and strength training. I realized that quick cardio hits mixed with strength training are way more effective than spending hours on an elliptical. Also when I do my workouts it's not to lose weight but it's to perform better each time. I try to perfect each movement and give it 200%. The weight loss comes naturally. This is what has worked for me :smile:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I'm still losing baby weight (third baby who just turned 1) and I exercise a lot - PT sessions, spinning, aerobics, circuits, HIIT, running etc - and eat at a deficit. I also run round after 3 young kids (5, 4 and 1) and I work 3 days a week as a teacher, so on my feet all day. On my days off, and in school holidays, I also walk a lot with my kids, we go out a lot.

I'm motivated because I want to get back into my pre-pregnancy clothes, and I want to look good. I also don't want to be a bad example to my kids, who are aware of healthy eating. My son (nearly 6) told my husband that a big man he saw was a 'fat wild beast'. I don't want my own kids to call me that lol.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I also don't want to be a bad example to my kids, who are aware of healthy eating. My son (nearly 6) told my husband that a big man he saw was a 'fat wild beast'. I don't want my own kids to call me that lol.

Not for nothing, but part of being a 'good' example to your kids is teaching them to respect all people and not to fat-shame or call people a 'fat wild beast'.

Just saying.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    I'm still losing baby weight (third baby who just turned 1) and I exercise a lot - PT sessions, spinning, aerobics, circuits, HIIT, running etc - and eat at a deficit. I also run round after 3 young kids (5, 4 and 1) and I work 3 days a week as a teacher, so on my feet all day. On my days off, and in school holidays, I also walk a lot with my kids, we go out a lot.

I'm motivated because I want to get back into my pre-pregnancy clothes, and I want to look good. I also don't want to be a bad example to my kids, who are aware of healthy eating. My son (nearly 6) told my husband that a big man he saw was a 'fat wild beast'. I don't want my own kids to call me that lol.

Remember this when your kid is in the principal's office for bullying.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    I also don't want to be a bad example to my kids, who are aware of healthy eating. My son (nearly 6) told my husband that a big man he saw was a 'fat wild beast'. I don't want my own kids to call me that lol.

Not for nothing, but part of being a 'good' example to your kids is teaching them to respect all people and not to fat-shame or call people a 'fat wild beast'.

Just saying.

I didn't say we accepted that he said that, I'm saying that's what he said. Of course we told him off. He doesn't say things like this often. He's at an age where he's noticing people are different and kids are brutally honest. Kids also pick on other kids for what their parents look like (usually older kids) and I don't want him to be bullied by other kids if I were really overweight. I'm not saying it's right, but it does happen. From what I've heard, it's far worse in American high schools than over here in England.

They talk about healthy eating at school and all he knows is that you get a big tummy if you eat too much. He's not passing judgement, he's making an observation. It's one of two times I've heard him comment.

He's a sweet little boy and I can't imagine him ever being a bully. As it is, we've just done invitations for his birthday party and I made him invite everyone in his class so no-one feels left out.

Please don't accuse a 5 year old of being a bully for making a comment. Find me a 5 year old who doesn't comment on things like that occasionally.