coffee before workout

Options
Hi..

i read online that coffee before workout helps in extra burning of calories? and i do see fellow gym-ers drinking before a workout as well..

does it really helps?

thanks

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Any impact on calorie burn is negligible.

Some studies show improved performance of athletes pushing themselves to exhaustion. Other studies show improved performance of endurance athletes. Since the two use different fueling mechanisms, I wonder how conclusive either study is. Yet further studies show improved mental acuity which in some sports certainly could be an aid.

If you like coffee, have some an hour before your workout. Without sugar.

Just don't count on it to burn more calories.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Coffee makes me have to poop soon after drinking. Which may or may not be a desirable effect depending on the exact nature of the workout ;)
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I also poop after coffee..only time I drink coffee before workouts is when I am running a full, or ultra. I drink coffee a couple of hrs before the start
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It helps in that it may allow you to have more energy and/or focus during your workout. This added energy/focus may allow you to work harder and burn more Calories. But the coffee, in and of itself, doesn't really do anything to burn Calories.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Coffee won't help you burn extra calories. But it might perk you up enough that you go a bit harder or longer than you would otherwise because you aren't half-asleep.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i drink coffee before, during and after. i love it.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Drink it if you like no negative repercussions to it.

29509743.png
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have coffee before I work out, simply because I exercise in the mornings. It is a diuretic, so I make sure that I have a big glass of water or two as well. If I didn't have that coffee, I'd never get my *kitten* moving!
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I always thought that coffee and increased calorie burn is due to the nature of coffee hyping you up and getting your heart going faster, as seen on a HRM. No?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    @spzjlb - The effect of coffee as a diuretic is negligible.

@nofatdaddy - The effect of coffee as a metabolic booster is negligible.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    I have coffee before I work out, simply because I exercise in the mornings. It is a diuretic, so I make sure that I have a big glass of water or two as well. If I didn't have that coffee, I'd never get my *kitten* moving!

This has pretty much been disproven. The diuretic effect of caffeine is negligible in comparison to the amount of water actually in the coffee. Unless you are drinking ridiculous amounts of coffee, you don't need to worry about the diuretic effect.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My understanding was that any metabolic increase from caffeine comes when the body is not adapted to the dosage. So if you drink coffee every morning, I doubt it would make a difference. If you never drink it, and then guzzle some before a workout, there might be a slight increase, but like others have said, probably negligible.
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Ah Ha! This makes sense.
  • remelign
    remelign Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have my morning BM before I lift, so I have coffee to make that happen. a little caffeine won't hurt your workout, but it probably doesn't have any major benefits.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Coffee used to be a totally reliable first thing in the morning BM inducer but since I've lost a bunch of weight and am eating a different mix, that just doesn't work the same any more. I think it is largely because there is less to induce. TMI.

I drink a really good coffee in the morning simply because I like it. Fresh ground beans, ah, the smell... I think I'd grind them anyway even if I couldn't drink it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I have observed in myself that coffee does seem to help in my workouts. But that may be a placebo effect.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Coffee makes me have to poop soon after drinking.

This. A couple cups in the morning, then the morning deposit, and then on to other things.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The caffeine though would have an effect on my workout. It can be a valuable boost.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    spzjlb wrote: »

This has pretty much been disproven. The diuretic effect of caffeine is negligible in comparison to the amount of water actually in the coffee. Unless you are drinking ridiculous amounts of coffee, you don't need to worry about the diuretic effect.

Hmm. Then what to respond to the thousands of intro biology labs that classic experiment each year? I think if you count coffee as a true water equivalent then you may get dehydrated especially doing intense workouts. At least for me, coffee would not be enough.
  • kayedence
    kayedence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow..thank you all for e comments.. :)