Starting to get sore knees when squatting....

Options
kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
Hi All

I've been doing Bodypump since January but literally the past two weeks of doing the class, the next day I've had sore knees, not to the point where I can't walk or its painful to walk, I feel more when I'm about to sit down on the toilet or a chair (as if I'm squatting), I know many of you will say its bad form but the instructor is really good in class, not only does he show you correct form, he also walks around to ensure everyone is doing it correctly and he's never told me I'm not doing it correctly.....

Why could this be happening all of a sudden?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    bad form or bad knees
  • kmab1985
    Options
    But surely if this was bad form my instructor would say so and it wouldn't only just be happening now?? and as for bad knees, can "bad knees" just occur like that?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Not all instructors instruct correctly. Are you going to parallel? If not, the force on your knees is higher than if you were going parallel. Is he telling you not to let your knees pass your toes? It is absolutely fine to let your knees pass your toes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing on your other days? Weren't you doubling up on workouts at some point? Or am I thinking of somebody else?
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Yeah parallel or so I thought, it doesnt hurt when I'm doing it though! and I've never had this issue before, just the last two weeks!
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Mmm I do Insanity one day and Spinning another day....so Bodypump, Insanity and Spinning....I just find it strange how its all of a sudden started happening....
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Have you recently increased your weight? In addition to your knee position, make sure that you are not rocking forward as you go up. You should feel the weight in your heels, not in your toes.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Yeah I've increased my weight in the last two classes! Although not by much, I've always stayed at 10kg but the last two weeks I've increased to 15kg....
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not sure if the same thing maybe happening to you, but when I was starting to get serious about working out and started going very aggressively on my workouts, 6 days a week, cycling, kick boxing, body pump, step, yoga...after about a month, my knees were SHOT..what I thought was good form, was not, because the classes were of 20-30 people, and it was high speed and fast paced, I didn't take my time to make sure my form was correct, so when we were doing body weight squats, pulsating, jumping jacks etc..I didn't take my form into consideration, just "keep up" was in my mind, so as a result, I hurt myself...my knees now are *kitten*. :neutral:

I've since then quit going to the classes and focused more on controlled movements with weight lifting, while I can't run because my knees hurt and swell, I can do a good workout based around weighted squats where I hit parallel and can monitor my form.

It's strange how I can't do a lot of body weight squats without feeling pain, but can BB squat with 165lbs comfortably for 10 reps.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    bad knees can happen after a period of bad form, or a period of using them even with good form . Your instructor may or may not be good at spotting form. I personally wouldn't trust a body pump instructor with my form.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    It could also be tight hamstrings. Look up some stretches to do after your class.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Thanks everyone...
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Try pushing through your heels and not the balls of your feet. If doing lunges, focus on landing and pushing off with your heels. Also, make sure your torso isn't leaning forward.