Question about myfitnesspal

Options
yogabrains
yogabrains Posts: 1 Member
Hey, so why does increasing my exercise, but holding calories constant not change the projected weight loss estimate that myfitnesspal provides (i.e., based on this plan you will loose 1lb a week...). I have been playing around with the exercise amount to see how accurate the app is at estimating rate of weight loss, but it doesn't change at all. It's like it's not taking anything into account except for calories (which it decides for you). Is there something else I have to do here?

Kristin

Replies

• GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    If you mean your 'Fitness Goals' under 'Goals', that is just for your own reference. MFP does not take EAT into account when calculating your TDEE; you have to manage exercise calories separately.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen - on mine - its basic math.

Such as

MFP expects me to burn 1750 per day. I'm set at maintenance. If I log 1700 calories in and my Fitbit gives an adjustment of +100 exercise calories, then:

1750 + 100 = 1850 actual burned less 1700 consumed = 150 deficit. 150 deficit x 7 days per week x 5 weeks = 5250. 5250/3500 = 1.5 pounds

If I'm 123.9 today, MFP tells me if every day were like today I'd weigh 122.4 in 5 weeks.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you're not asking about the 'if everyday were like today' then I'm not sure what you're referring to...
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If I understand what you are saying, you are referring to the area in which you add an exercise goal - ie 30 minutes a day 3 days a week, or whatever? I can't remember what that screen looks like.

That is just for your own personal goal and will not adjust your calories. When you exercise, you are supposed to enter your exercise into your exercise diary. It will then calculate calories burned. MFP is set up so that you eat those calories back. Most people eat around 50-75% to account for inaccuracies, however some people can eat 100% because the burns are accurate for them. It's trial and error.
  • GrandmaCarole
    GrandmaCarole Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When you build up muscle you may gain slightly. Muscles weighs more than fat. Eventually it pays off by using more calories due to increased metabolism.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    When you build up muscle you may gain slightly. Muscles weighs more than fat. Eventually it pays off by using more calories due to increased metabolism.

You don't build up muscle on a deficit... And I don't think that's what the OP was asking?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

gets me in the lulz every time
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Because MFP expects you to eat back your exercise calories. That's why the projected weight loss doesn't change. If you are set to lose 2lbs a week, it factors 1000 calorie daily deficit. If I add 300 exercise calories to that, MFP is expecting me to eat those 300 so my deficit stays at 1000.
    If you don't want to track exercise calories, then put your activity level higher and don't bother logging the exercise.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Changing how much exercise you SAY you'll do won't change your calorie goal or your expected weight loss. Using MFP's method, it only counts exercise towards your calorie goal after you've logged it.

If you're inconsistent with your exercise, it's a great motivation to keep at it. If you've got a set routine, you might find it easier to calculate your TDEE and set custom calories so you have the same goal every day.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    If I understand what you are saying, you are referring to the area in which you add an exercise goal - ie 30 minutes a day 3 days a week, or whatever? I can't remember what that screen looks like.

That is just for your own personal goal and will not adjust your calories. When you exercise, you are supposed to enter your exercise into your exercise diary. It will then calculate calories burned. MFP is set up so that you eat those calories back. Most people eat around 50-75% to account for inaccuracies, however some people can eat 100% because the burns are accurate for them. It's trial and error.
    ^^ This is the best answer.
    We also ask you for your weekly exercise goals, in order to provide an incentive for you to reach. We do not account for additional exercise outside of your reported daily activity level, until you log exercise to your diary under the "Cardiovascular" section.
    Reference:
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • deebomb3
    deebomb3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you mean your 'Fitness Goals' under 'Goals', that is just for your own reference. MFP does not take EAT into account when calculating your TDEE; you have to manage exercise calories separately.

• deebomb3
    deebomb3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    deebomb3 wrote: »
    How can we sync with friend so they can see our diary?