Is This Journey Easy?

Options
2»

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    IammeCA wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is a tendency to equate easy with simple. CICO and "eat less move more" are simple concepts but that doesn't make it easy. Quiting a drug addiction is simple (Stop taking it.) but that doesn't make it easy.

For a long time, I claimed an addiction go food. I've now accepted it was likely just an excuse to be lazy. Lazy to not cook. Lazy to not work out.

My new lifestyle revolves around No Excuses. I don't always make the best choices, but I'm not hiding behind excuses anymore.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone, but it really mostly just comes down to mindset/attitude and priorities. I've been successfully maintaining here now for over 4 years. To be honest, I've found the entire process to be very straightforward and exceptionally easy. I have no food relationship issues or anything like that, so it hasn't been much of a challenge. I think it depends on your personality and history. I just put my mind to it, treated MFP as though it were a game, and here I am! I was never ever really overweight, just heading toward the top of my healthy BMI (aging happens, LOL) so I just needed a way to get myself organized and this was it. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.
    Reinhold Niebuhr
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    MenonWaves wrote: »
    Eating right is not the problem. if anything, I never hit my caloric intake goal because in fitting in meals around when I exercise I simply run out of time to eat. This is consuming my life. There are no "easy" days for me. I live alone. Having to choose exercise over the people I love and the things that make life worth living. I don't know how I am supposed to make any better choices or work any harder. Sorry, I'm extremely frustrated today and these pat answers about "just do this" don't cut it. I am doing "this." It isn't working, and I'm ruining my life trying to make it work.

What you are describing is not sustainable. You WILL NOT stick with it if it's miserable, super inconvenient, unhealthy, or it makes you feel like you're ruining your life. Reevaluate what you're doing. Take baby steps and go gradually. This should be a positive in your life, not a negative.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    MenonWaves wrote: »
    No, it's not easy, at least not for everyone. I thought that particular discussion was quite harmful, actually. I have hit a plateau and I am trying to fit two more hours to my existing 90 minutes of exercise. I have a full time job, I'm trying to launch my own business, and I'm a musician. Even without exercise I'm usually tied up four hours a night. I'm not one of these people who has a lot of spare time. It was hard, but manageable, fitting in 90 minutes, but three+ hours is cutting into time I spend with friends and even with my boyfriend. And I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night in three weeks. At this rate I'm concerned that I might not have a life to go back to once I get down to my target weight. That's supposed to be easy?!

I really do believe that discussion was the opposite of harmful, specifically for your case, in particular! I hope you've been somewhat motivated by every single post responding to yours that have clarified that something's not quite right. Personally I do not believe the process is easy, but you're definitely doing any number of things to make it WAY more difficult than it should be. Her thread has helped you highlight that! And I hope you would take the opportunity to investigate your process and determine where you could tweak things to improve your weight loss experience