Smoothies & Protein Powder

Options
So me and my mom both need to loose weight, so we decided to try smoothies for breakfast. We did it once, and stopped, but thats not the purpose of this thread. We bought Protein Power to put in the smoothies, would that even help with weight loss? I know its used to bulk up.. I also bought some chia seeds and Flax seeds, she won't try them though, haha.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Would putting steak in your smoothies help with weight loss?

Protein powder is just food that is high in protein. It doesn't make you lose weight or bulk up.
    Your calorie deficit over the course of a day/week/month will determine how much weight you lose.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simply consuming less calories than you burn.

Most would suggest having a well balanced consumption of calories, things like protein powder, chia seeds and flax seeds can help you reach that balance. However all can attribute to weight loss or weight gain. It boils down to your overall caloric intake.

You have to watch smoothies/protein powders because they can add a lot of calories without you realizing it. That's why some people who use a smoothie as a meal replacement to lose weight aren't successful, they don't realize their shake has as many calories as their breakfast did.

Start weighing/measuring all the food you eat and logging it in MFP. If you set the program up right you should start to lose weight if you stay in your calorie goal.

Good Luck!
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    You only need a caloric deficit to achieve weight loss. Hitting your macros/micros is important as well. Use protein powder if you have trouble hitting your protein goal.

Read this and all the included links if you are just getting started:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1