2»

Replies

• Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Bizurke51 wrote: »
    If hitting your daily protein macro seems impossible unless you resort to ton of chicken and whey shakes, then you need to relearn how to eat. Like a previous poster said, it should be quite easy to hit 120 g protein.

Well it's easy to get to 120, but I've been trying to hit 180 and that's my point. A disparity of 60 grams per day is a lot
    If hitting your daily protein macro seems impossible unless you resort to ton of chicken and whey shakes, then you need to relearn how to eat. Like a previous poster said, it should be quite easy to hit 120 g protein.

Well it's easy to get to 120, but I've been trying to hit 180 and that's my point. A disparity of 60 grams per day is a lot.

What is your height, weight, age, gender, and activity level? Are you bulking, maintaining, or cutting?

You might not need all that protein.

I'm 6'0 180, been dieting for the past year at 500 cal def, but I'm gradually increasing calories to my maintain level. I'm just going to stick to the 1 gram per day. Should be easy with the extra 500 soon
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Depends what your calorie goal is.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When you guys are referring to grams of protein per pound of body weight, is that LBM or total body weight? Sometimes people use the terms interchangeably and they aren't so just making sure for my own sanity.

Bodyweight is total weight
    LBM is bodyweight minus fat.

And more flags for me

Aren't the mods supposed to punish people senselessly flagging others?
  • marvelknight88
    marvelknight88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Depends on genetics. There is an actual test to find out but only offered in th UK.
    But the basic is 1 pound per body weight minus fat percentage.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are sedentary and not looking to change body composition much, a daily target of 0.8g/kg bodyweight (0.36g/lb bodyweight) and upwards would be a good target.

Two other things should be noted as follow-up:

Studies have only really intensively looked at dosages up to 1.5g/kg bodyweight, and others have touched down on dietary intakes in the 2.2g/kg or 3.0g/kg range. That being said, there do not appear to be any apparent negative effects to a higher protein intake. See this FAQ topic for more information.

If you are obese, using a protein intake relative to body weight is a bad idea. Either calculate your lean mass (overall weight after subtracting fat mass, which can be calculated by body fat percentage) or use your goal/target weight for calculations.

Source=Examine.com
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are sedentary and not looking to change body composition much, a daily target of 0.8g/kg bodyweight (0.36g/lb bodyweight) and upwards would be a good target.

Two other things should be noted as follow-up:

Studies have only really intensively looked at dosages up to 1.5g/kg bodyweight, and others have touched down on dietary intakes in the 2.2g/kg or 3.0g/kg range. That being said, there do not appear to be any apparent negative effects to a higher protein intake. See this FAQ topic for more information.

If you are obese, using a protein intake relative to body weight is a bad idea. Either calculate your lean mass (overall weight after subtracting fat mass, which can be calculated by body fat percentage) or use your goal/target weight for calculations.

Source=Examine.com

Great explanation and thank you for digging this up

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Well it's easy to get to 120, but I've been trying to hit 180 and that's my point. A disparity of 60 grams per day is a lot

Well it's easy to get to 120, but I've been trying to hit 180 and that's my point. A disparity of 60 grams per day is a lot.

What is your height, weight, age, gender, and activity level? Are you bulking, maintaining, or cutting?

I'm 6'0 180, been dieting for the past year at 500 cal def, but I'm gradually increasing calories to my maintain level. I'm just going to stick to the 1 gram per day. Should be easy with the extra 500 soon

Based on your stats:

If Sedentary, little or no exercise, desk job, then your TDEE is about 2199 calories per day.

If Lightly Active, light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week, then your TDEE is about 2520 calories per day.

If Moderately Active, moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week, then your TDEE is about 2840 calories per day.

If Very Active, hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week, then your TDEE is about 3161 calories per day.

If Extra Active, very hard exercise/sports and physical job, then your TDEE is about 3482 calories per day.

TDEE is basically maintenance calories; what you would need to consume each day to stay roughly the same weight.

If cutting, subtract a safe 10-20% from your TDEE. If bulking, add 10-20% to your TDEE.

You will know it's working when the scale starts budging. If not, then you are counting your calories wrong or overestimating your activity level.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Based on your stats:

If Sedentary, little or no exercise, desk job, then your TDEE is about 2199 calories per day.

If Lightly Active, light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week, then your TDEE is about 2520 calories per day.

If Moderately Active, moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week, then your TDEE is about 2840 calories per day.

If Very Active, hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week, then your TDEE is about 3161 calories per day.

If Extra Active, very hard exercise/sports and physical job, then your TDEE is about 3482 calories per day.

TDEE is basically maintenance calories; what you would need to consume each day to stay roughly the same weight.

If cutting, subtract a safe 10-20% from your TDEE. If bulking, add 10-20% to your TDEE.

You will know it's working when the scale starts budging. If not, then you are counting your calories wrong or overestimating your activity level.

Im just following MFP for the calorie budget gotten me this far.

This whole macros thing is still odd to me. I basically just want to make sure that if Im eatting enough protein, hitting the weights and I don't go over my calorie budget I won't get fat.

My biggest fear is staying at my weight (180) but some how gaining body fat even though I'm under budget.

• AlexDamianidis1
    AlexDamianidis1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Iv been lifting for 15 years and don't recall ever hitting 1g per lb ever, i'v also never had that kind of money or time to cook and eat that much even with shakes and gainers. I'v never put myself on a "diet" and i'v managed to put on just enough muscle to turn a few heads. Sure it took me longer but it never felt like work to eat.
    I'v read from pro's those stats are all *kitten* designed by supplement companies to make you buy and use more than is necessary. Try for yourself for a bit and judge your gains. Is the money/pain to gain ratio worth it.
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi please tell me if am 94kilos how much protein do I need per day thanks
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    0.82 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight is a safe, manageable, everyday goal unless you are a professional bodybuilder, with an extremely strict regimen. 94 kilos = 170 g protein per day. Remember to adjust your intake as your weight fluctuates.

^It is okay to go slightly over or slightly under. Just try to be consistent and get most of your protein from whole foods instead of powders or other processed foods.