Hi I am new today. Trying to continue by weight loss - 50 lbs so far - but am at a standstill I

Need to loose 15 more lbs. Then the hard work of maintaining my loss.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Sounds like you have the maintaining part under control. As for losing weight, you need to eat less and move more. Counting calories is one way to measure how much you are eating less and moving more.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Jancavitt - When I was losing I'd stall around every 5 pounds, and the stalls got longer and longer as I got closer to my final goal weight. Three things that helped:

1) Make sure you've recalculated your calories for your new lower weight. MFP does not automatically do that, and as you get thinner, your calories go down. Every 5 pounds you need to recalculate. Every time I did that, my calories got lower :neutral: , but my weight started dropping again :smiley:

2) Look at your macros. I can't lose weight easily if my carbs are over 40% no matter what my calories. And if they're over 60%, I'll start gaining no matter what. That's not low carb. It's just higher protein. So look at what your macros are. Unlike calories, which you can hit by the week, this is actually something that's more important to hit every day because it affects how insulin manages fat storage in your body and how blood sugar triggers insulin production. Also, MFP is actually pretty bad about how it counts carbs. For example, slow to digest carbs like brown rice or buckwheat are counted the same as white rice or sugar. That's not how it works. So try to use less processed, slower to digest (low glycemic) carbs and try to keep that under 35%-40%. The easiest way for me to do that is just eat a lot of protein. See if it makes a difference for you.

3) Double check your portion sizes. They tend to sneak up over time.

Then just give it time. I lost several pounds a week when I first started, went down to a pound a week, then was down to half, then 1/4 pound a week by the time I hit goal. But I did hit it just about when I was supposed to. That older fat is harder to get rid of.

Good luck!