How much excersise?

Options
Hai.
Lately I've been doing some light elliptical and pilatese to lose some fat. I've also been cutting down my calorie and kj intake.
My current aporoach has lost me a few kilos so far, but at a frustratingly low pace.

From your personal experiences, how much cardio and weight exercises is ideal for fast weight loss?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eating less
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You should start with understanding how weight loss works and the hows and whys of creating a deficit. Its your food intake thats the most important, get it right and you will suceed and vice versa.

Moving on from that then exercise has at least two components, the first is it helps you get fit and healthy, which in turn complements weight loss. From a simplistic angle cardio can help you burn some calories which contribute to your deficit, but ut takes a lot of effor to burn calories and even more for them to be sigificant. All movement helps though. Lifting will help you retain muscle, whih increases the % of fat you lose.

As for amounts of exercise then any movement is better than none. If its the gym then imo it starts getting useful if you go 3x a week, but it also depends for how long and what you do when there.

I would restrain from the idea of fast weight loss and look towards weight loss at a healthy rate that has the most chance of you being able to keep it off. 1-2lb a week is the suggested rate.

Activity levels for health guidelines from the NHS can be found here
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/physical-activity-guidelines-for-adults.aspx