Sweet snacks that are low cal?

Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    oldmomma wrote: »
    Meringue cookies are a great low-cal treat. Trader Joe's has Vanilla ones, but the best are Miss Meringue-lots of flavors. It's also pretty easy to make cocoa meringue cookies. Chocolatey and sweet!

Agree with this! I just want to add...weigh those Trader Joe meringues if you're that type. One serving is 4 cookies but 4 cookies can weigh quite more than the serving weight.
  • susiederkins21
    susiederkins21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I came in here to say meringues! I make my own.

Ingredients

4 egg whites
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 cup white sugar
    4 tbsp semi sweet mini chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil or parchment paper. In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Put into a large baggie, seal, cut off one corner, and squeeze through the hole onto parchment paper. They'll look like chocolate kisses, only slightly larger. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the cookies.
    Bake for 1 1/2 hours in preheated oven. Meringues should be completely dry on the inside. Do not allow them to brown. Turn off oven. Keep oven door ajar, and let meringues sit in the oven until completely cool. Loosen from foil with metal spatula. Store loosely covered in cool dry place for up to 2 months.

Serving Size: 80 small meringues @ 14 calories each

You can make them twice as big, still only 28 calories. I also sprinkle them with crushed candy canes instead of chocolate around Christmas.
  • Gabby2_2
    Gabby2_2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you search on the Internet or an app called "Pinterest" 'healthy cookies', there will be loads of recipes for making healthy cookies. Yesterday I made cookies which were 15 calories each! It was sugar free too x
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    The wife starting subbing in apple sauce in place of butter in cookie recipes. Makes for a slightly healthier cookie.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    oldmomma wrote: »
    Meringue cookies are a great low-cal treat. Trader Joe's has Vanilla ones, but the best are Miss Meringue-lots of flavors. It's also pretty easy to make cocoa meringue cookies. Chocolatey and sweet!

Agree with this! I just want to add...weigh those Trader Joe meringues if you're that type. One serving is 4 cookies but 4 cookies can weigh quite more than the serving weight.

Yes and yes! LOVE the trader joes meringues for 25 calories each, but they are generally around 30-35 when you weigh them. Still totally worth it!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Substituting bananas or apple sauce for some of the liquid and all the sugar helps reduce calorie counts in baked stuff.

I used to have a cookbook that was all sugar (no additions of artificial sugar either) recipes, but I can't remember the name - it wasn't specifically a diabetes cookbook either.
  • hellokitcey
    hellokitcey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow chocolate truffle ice cream bars. 100 cals each! And they are actually really good. Like I'd buy them even if I wasn't on a diet!
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I came in here to say meringues! I make my own.

Ingredients

4 egg whites
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 cup white sugar
    4 tbsp semi sweet mini chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil or parchment paper. In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Put into a large baggie, seal, cut off one corner, and squeeze through the hole onto parchment paper. They'll look like chocolate kisses, only slightly larger. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the cookies.
    Bake for 1 1/2 hours in preheated oven. Meringues should be completely dry on the inside. Do not allow them to brown. Turn off oven. Keep oven door ajar, and let meringues sit in the oven until completely cool. Loosen from foil with metal spatula. Store loosely covered in cool dry place for up to 2 months.

Serving Size: 80 small meringues @ 14 calories each

You can make them twice as big, still only 28 calories. I also sprinkle them with crushed candy canes instead of chocolate around Christmas.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!