How many breakfast calories is right?

Options
Hey :) I'm on a 1400 calorie diet plan but I usually don't hit that, I aim to eat at least 1200 though :)
I'm usually eating 200 calories or less for breakfast though and I'm wondering just how many I should be eating? I usually find I have to eat snacks at night before bed to get 1200 in :/
I also have about 4 meals a day, breakfast at 8-9am, lunch at about 1pm, early evening meal at about 4-6pm and another meal/big snack at around 9-11 pm (I sleep at about 12-2am so this works fine for me) My meals are all pretty low calorie and filling with protein and veggies so I'm not sure exactly what or how much I should be eating for breakfast. I usually have porridge, but 170 calories of it fills me up plentifully :P
suggestions? :) (I'm a vegetarian btw)

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I only use about 190 calories at breakfast as I have Bran flakes. I much prefer my bigger meals later on lol x
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Well 1200kcal divided by 4 meals a day is 300kcal per meal. Knock a few off to make room for snacks and you can aim for 250-280/meal.

I don't know how heavy everything else is but you can tweak it!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    other than my coffee, i dont normally eat breakfast. well, i go in stages. right now im not eating breakfast.

when i do, its generally under 300 cals including my coffee
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you need more caloires, eat avocados and hummus. Also, more beans and nuts.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance. My breakfast runs from a bit over 300 to about 550 calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Add fat. You need fat. For health. It also makes things taste amazing. And adds calories without a lot of volume.

As for breakfast, there is no "amount". I eat none. I could also eat a couple of thousand if J chose to. Is either wrong? Nope.
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I plan to do during the day. Usually on a day I go to work I have a 200 cal breakfast. Sometimes on a day off I have a 500 - 600 calorie breakfast but only have a small snack for lunch.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 0 to your total allotted calories. It's whatever works for you.
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I eat around 500 calories, usually my bigger meal of the day
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Usually around 150 or less.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,424 Member
    Options
    I think whatever fills you up and keeps you going until lunch is fine. If you want more calories but not increase quantity then you might choose different foods.
    I eat around 200 calories at breakfast most of the time. I eat a larger lunch and dinner and an evening snack usually. That is what works for me.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, so it's usually my biggest meal of the day. It's really up to you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options
    Eat enough at breakfast to keep you full til lunch. If your porridge is doing that already, there's really no reason to change. If you want to boost the calories a bit, you could add coconut oil or an egg to your porridge.

(I thought porridge = oatmeal, but I see that's not necessarily true, so included a recipe for rice porridge with egg as well.)

http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-porridge-with-egg-446571
    http://dishbydish.net/2013/03/04/simple-egg-porridge/
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If you feel good eating what you are then that is what works for you. I need about 4-500 in the morning but my day starts early and I have a very physically active job. If you need to add more calories without increasing volume much try putting some nuts and dried fruit in your porridge or adding a little cheese on the side.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    there's no rules about how many calories should be consumed in a particular meal. Yesterday I had around a 350 calorie breakfast...my breakfast today is about 1400 calories.

why would it matter how many calories you have at any given time? The only thing that matters is that you are hitting your targets and hitting them consistently.
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I dont eat breakfast. I'm never hungry when I wake up. I get hungry around 12-2pm. But if you dont want to snack at night you could always add 200ish calories to your breakfast.
  • Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1500 base points, and I generally eat about half my exercise points. I aim at 500-600 for breakfast, any less and I get very hungry by lunchtime. I've never understood why very low cal breakfast was desirable - that's the fuel that sets you up for the day, but then I'm a morning person and at my most active in the morning.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1260 calories. For breakfast I only spend 50 on my coffee. Then aim for 350-500 for lunch and theme rest for dinner. I'm never hungry after my coffee. Ill eat lunch between 11-1. Dinner between 6:30-8. If I get a little hungry I'll grab some strawberries or cucumber. My exercise can easily take care of the calories in those if they send me slightly over.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    224. Any other number will set you up for failure.