Is anyone else growing a garden?

Options
What are you already eating from it? We've had lettuce, arugula, kale, spinach, cilantro, green onions & rhubarb. Lots of other stuff planted.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Passionfruit, mandarin, chilis, tomatoes, lettuce, lots of herbs
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have a small garden at my grandfathers but nothing is ready yet. i have tomatoes, hot peppers (for papa), eggplant (for hubby), zucchini and cucumbers i think
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yep! But mine's winter veggies because I'm in New Zealand. I have carrots, broccoli (which so far is doing nothing in the way of forming heads), red onions, beetroot, cos lettuce and spinach.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    We do. Though our main focus is on herbs. We also grow beetroot, radish, lettuces, courgette, paprika and pepper plus some edible flowers and have a pear tree. Next in will be the eggplant (indoors too cold) and paksoi.
    It is nowhere near enough to feed the two of us for a long time, but it feels good to have home grown meals.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    We have a fig tree and that's it.

I would like to grow more. I just need to stop being a lazy butt.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to have a community garden plot this year. Lettuce, spinach, kale, green onions and radish are ready. Also planted tomatoes (cuz nothing beats a garden tomato), potatoes, carrots, beets, chard and will plant beans today. I plant herbs (dill, basil, oregano, mint, parsley, rosemary) in containers for my deck and easy access while cooking.

OP-any luck with cilantro? I love it but its hot where I live and always seems to bolt and go to seed (and now I have coriander instead of cilantro!!)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    This year: watermelon radishes, rainbow swiss chard, kale, leeks, onions, tomatoes (cherry and big boy), basil, beans, strawberries, cilantro, parsley, and pumpkin.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I am, but nothing is ready to harvest yet!

@carakirkey I just learned this year (after several years of no success) that cilantro is best grown in the spring and fall. It bolts too quickly in heat to be any good. I plan to start some when the weather cools down this September.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Aww... how fun. It'd be nice to have all sorts of fresh herbs at hand, as well as lemons and cherry tomatoes.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    We got our first few blueberries today. Been getting basil for a while but nothing else is ready. I went simple and small this year. I only have tomatoes and peppers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    yes...it has just been planted though so we won't be eating anything until August/Sept. We just had our last freeze a couple weeks ago.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Me! Well, most of the seeds are in the ground. We'll usually have a late-freeze so I'm waiting a few more days.

Carrots
    Crook neck squash
    Peas
    Corn
    Something else I can't remember...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Got 1/2 of it planted.

Lettuce, spinach, arugula, turnips, rutabegas, beets, eggplant, carrots, parsnips and beans planted. Strawberries are starting to get ready

Hopefully will get the other half planted this week - peppers, tomatoes, peas, cukes, squash, onions, brussel sprouts and leeks.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just started planting. Normal safe planting day here is Mother's Day, and I'm running late. Good thing, as we had crazy winds Monday morning which would have been a problem if I'd had stuff out (my garden consists of pots on my roof deck, so the wind is always an issue).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What are you already eating from it? We've had lettuce, arugula, kale, spinach, cilantro, green onions & rhubarb. Lots of other stuff planted.

So far - lettuce, broccoli, sugar snap peas, kale, collards, radishes, spring onions, spinach, strawberries, herbs (cilantro, parsley, lavender, rosemary, basil, thyme, sage)

Cabbage and cauliflower are almost ready for harvest
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

So far - lettuce, broccoli, sugar snap peas, kale, collards, radishes, spring onions, spinach, strawberries, herbs (cilantro, parsley, lavender, rosemary, basil, thyme, sage)

Cabbage and cauliflower are almost ready for harvest

ETA: harvested carrots and parsnips earlier that were over-wintered. They are in the root cellar now.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    @carakirkey I just learned this year (after several years of no success) that cilantro is best grown in the spring and fall. It bolts too quickly in heat to be any good. I plan to start some when the weather cools down this September.

Thanks I'll try it in the fall
  • IamMicah
    IamMicah Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes of course! Doesn't everyone have a victory garden?
  • firie5205
    firie5205 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Two different types of tomatoes and four different types of peppers! I have a tiny little side garden that I built and this is our first year in the new house. It's a starting garden. :)