Any vegans/vegetarians out there who want to share how much protein they eat/where they get it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hausisse1
    Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    saphin wrote: »
    You might like to check out http://www.nomeatathlete.com/5-warning-signs/

10% is much too low, especially if you exercise regularly. There are great vegetarian protein sources out there to help you correct it. Try whey isolate (great if you are lactose intolerant as all the nasties removed, but research your brand carefully as some have some nasty additives, I use dymatize), nut butters, eggs, pulses, soy or almond milk (really easy to make your own so no nasty additives), nuts, chia, quinoa or leafy green vegetables such as spinach or broccoli

Good luck on a vegetarian diet, I was always averse to meat but forced to eat it as a small child but gave it up at 13 and am fit, healthy and athletic and my parents have now embraced a mainly vegetarian diet for health reasons

I can't eat soy products or dairy products, and unfortunately, that includes whey! But I can (and do) eat eggs, and I'll check out the website you referred me to!! Thank you so much!
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I hated the notion of feeling like I was going to have to rely on animal protein forever -_-
  • gracefear
    gracefear Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So it's around 2-3g per kg of body weight and I currently get around 100g a day. Hummus is great...chickpeas and kidney beans...nut butters...tofu and the best product tempeh. In 100g it has around 19g of protein but also I supplement and the best so far is from pulsin soya protein powder which for 30g has 27g of protein! It's flavorless do you can add it to anything from food to drink....
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    gracefear wrote: »
    So it's around 2-3g per kg of body weight and I currently get around 100g a day.

i don't know where you got that 2-3 part, but most sources I've going suggust 40-60g per day for most people
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas shared here... always looking for interesting sources to add more protein in my diet besides always meats. I too have to stay away from soy. Thanks all :) I'll bookmark this thread and check back.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Hausisse1 wrote: »
    TheGoktor wrote: »
    Seitan is a great source of protein, and even better when you make it yourself. I make amazing sausages, 'ribs', not-meatballs, burgers... even shredded 'chicken'. If I use beans in the mix too, I get even more protein. :-)

Do they sell seitan products that don't have trace soy? I like Sweet Earth, for example, but if I'm remembering correctly the ingredients often say soy sauce

It's actually easy to make your own. Mix vital wheat gluten with water/broth and your seasonings of choice, knead it until it is very springy, then wrap it in tin foil and throw it in the oven. None of this "gently simmer, but don't let it boil or you'll ruin it" nonsense.

I made a batch yesterday and a 370 calorie serving has 45g of protein. The calories could have been slightly lower but I put olive oil in mine.

I believe there is a test to determine gluten intolerance; I'd recommend taking it before you cut out gluten because gluten-free and soy-free vegan is going to be very challenging if you want to get more than the bare minimum of protein. There are many other sources, of course, but they are proportionally lower in protein so it can be hard to get enough protein without going over on calories, depending on your goals.

When I pre-log, I tend to get about 100-120g of protein a day, but that includes a lot of soy. When I don't pre-log or plan out my day, 70-80 is more common. I had a 30% protein level recommended to me, but I just can't seem to make that happen without using tons of supplements or eating only "protein foods" because I need to use my entire day's calorie allotment just to get the protein gms.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I dont eat that much protien, but I shoot for 50g and above each day, which is what the WHO recommends for a lady of my size. (Im small ya'll). I get protien from beans,lentils, boca burgers, rice protien powder, etc
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Seitan is a great source of protein, and even better when you make it yourself. I make amazing sausages, 'ribs', not-meatballs, burgers... even shredded 'chicken'. If I use beans in the mix too, I get even more protein. :-)
    She cant eat soy:)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a complete protein. Also edamame has 9 g protein.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was told I didn't eat enough protein so now I eat plenty of beans. I made a 3 bean chili yesterday which was devine and I also eat lentils and Quinoa.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    She cant eat soy:)

Seitan isn't made from soy; it's wheat gluten.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    Quinoa is a complete protein. Also edamame has 9 g protein.

Edamame is delicious and high in protein, but unfortunately for OP, edamame is just another name for soybeans.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Im vegan and can literally get 100 grams a day

Nasoya light firm tofu 36 grams

quorn products are high protein

vegan protein powder - Genuine health

greens: spinach, kale, chard, brocolli,

Lentils, beans, 100% whole grain and sprouted grain breads and flours!
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Quorn products are Soy Free!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    Im vegan and can literally get 100 grams a day

Nasoya light firm tofu 36 grams

quorn products are high protein

vegan protein powder - Genuine health

greens: spinach, kale, chard, brocolli,

Lentils, beans, 100% whole grain and sprouted grain breads and flours!

Don't quorn products use egg albumin as a binder? I used to eat it when I was vegetarian, but stopped when I became vegan. Is there an egg-free quorn product? I hope so, because it was so good!

How much of the Nasoya tofu do you eat in a serving? The package says 8g of protein per 85g, which is the same as the regular firm tofu.

Not asking to be nitpicky; I'm asking because I am trying to get my protein to the 100-120 range without supplements (which are much too big a part of my diet right now), and if I could get that much protein from tofu, and add quorn, it would go a long way.

The sprouted grains are a fantastic suggestion. I didn't realize they were so high in protein until quite recently, despite being vegetarian for 20 years. I don't eat a lot of sandwiches, but when I do, I use trader Joe sprouted rye which has 10g of protein for 2 slices.

Edited to add: I just did a little snooping and saw that Quorn released a vegan version a few years back. I'm so glad you mentioned it or I never would have checked and I wouldn't be eating quorn for dinner, which I will now definitely do :)
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    Neat! So many options! Thank you all!! Is Quorn sold in supermarkets pretty often? I don't recall having seen it.
  • Hausisse1
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh, UK and Ireland. Boooo

Edited to say they apparently carry it at whole foods!
  • pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, based on the recommendation (RDA) here in the states, the minimum is 0.8 g for every 1kg of body weight. That puts me at about 63 g of protein a day. I adjust my macros so my intake higher; you'll also want to get more protein than the minimum if you heavily exercise.

I mainly get my proteins from nuts, beans, and soy products. I usually couple these with quinoa or other grain products to try to achieve more complete proteins. When I make green smoothies I also add chia seeds, which boost up my fiber and protein intake some more.

• mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound. This amounts to 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man. 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman. Google authoritynutrition.com to find out more.
    • 100 grams Quorn mince has 14.5 grams of protein.
    • 30 grams (a scoop) Optium whey protein shake 24 grams of protein.
    • 100 grams lentils (boiled) has 9 grams of protein.
    • 100 grams cottage cheese has 11 grams of protein (Lild Linessa light tastes great)
    Quinoa, green peas, nuts, peanut butter, chickpeas, beans, etc. have lots of protein.