Arthritis and strength training

Options
msty112
msty112 Posts: 199 Member
Started having a terrible flare up of my psoriatic arthritis in my hands and wrists a few days ago. It's making it very difficult to even wrap my hands around a weight let alone lift it. Anyone know any good strength training exercises I can do while I work through this flare up?

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Bummer. You could do leg, core and glute work; lunges, glute bridges, planks, single leg squats, etc. If you don't have wrist pain you may be able to do push ups.

I also have PA. Strengthening the muscles and tendons is a solid plan for dealing with PA. I can't speak to hand stiffness, my hands have never bothered me much. Have you tried any grip training?
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've been continue with my leg exercises and doing planks on my elbows. Push ups are too much on my wrists right now. I know how important it is to keep everything moving with PA. They had to change my medication due to insurance so I'm hoping it's just a small flare until I adjust to the new meds.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Check out a set of Grip Masters here prohands.net/products/gripmaster.php they might be enough to exercise your hands, gain grip strength, increase dexterity and maybe relieve the pain you feel when you are lifting.

Though I don't have arthritis, I do use them to maintain good dexterity for a wide ranging activities I've done over the years.

Good Luck! Hope that helps.