400 over my alotted calories for the day :(

Options
pwh300
pwh300 Posts: 99 Member
Back on track today. Went to dinner with husband and my girlfriends. I would have been fine except for the 2 margaritas.

Any alcoholic beverage ideas when out? I know I should have had wine but felt like something different.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Is this something you do regularly? Is it something you do weekly? monthly? rarely? If the answer is monthly or rarely, just enjoy and go on as usual--logging and staying within your goals. If this happens frequently, then you've got to have a plan for when you go out with friends. Plan for 1 margarita and cut your calories that day to allow for it. Sometimes you have to analyze your weaknesses. Best. B)
  • kemarryat
    kemarryat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with vodka and soda - less calories and sugar than wine (which I admittedly prefer)! :blush:
  • DrunkInAGolfCart
    DrunkInAGolfCart Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to be a BIG drinker. I partied at least 3-4 times a week. I know they say alcohol is basically a fat pill but honestly, I never put on weight back then. I actually lost weight. I was very active and I ate right. That was enough. I usually stuck to vodka and various mixers.

Sadly I started getting really fat when I STOPPED partying all the time. Too much time on my hands to eat!

Don't stress about your 400+ excess. Doing this MFP thing is meant to be a way of life so it's only natural that you'll occasionally indulge.
  • pwh300
    pwh300 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Depending on your goals and deficit, 400 calories might just be maintenance level for you. When you're set to lose a pound a week, MFP subtracts 500 calories from maintenance to give you a goal. If you go over by 400, you're still 100 calories in a deficit. You won't lose much weight that way, but you definitely won't be gaining on that. So, if it happens occasionally, all it does is slow down your losses and you'll prolong your MFP journey. So, just log it and move on.
    I agree with the others that you should plan ahead for a drink when going out. Margaritas are high calorie drinks. Maybe a gin & tonic? Vodka & soda? You can check out a website called GetDrunkNotFat.com. That might help you plan.

I think your right this might be my maintenance level. It did say I would stay the same as I am now. Thanks for that info on the 500 calories

Thanks for the link for drinks

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You could do like I did last night. Have just one margarita and then spill half of it while demonstrating hand signals used for animal training....I logged 1/2 of a margarita last night. To be honest that was enough. I'm not a big drinker. But it was a sad waste of a delicious drink. :pensive:

But yeah. Look at it as eating maintenance for one day which is still better than going over your caloric needs for the day. So you broke even. That's okay as long as it isn't a habit. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    what is your cut? for many people, going over by 400 calories would still have them in a deficit position. at most i would say it's maintenance. to boot, it's a night out...it's no big deal. there's this thing called life that must be lived.
  • Ginnaye2014
    Ginnaye2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did that last night. Today I'm going to go for a hike and burn it off. You can do it. Just one tiny step off the path.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, 400 calories won't do a ton of damage. Don't worry :) as for drinks, most places have skinny margaritas and they're so good!