Fifty and Paranoid!

Options
Hi,
I'm new here, third day. I just turned fifty, gulp. I'm having a tough time because I'm at the exact age that my mom was when she died. She passed from cancer. I think I take pretty good care of myself except I do need to lose some weight. I exercise and really try to watch what I put in my mouth! Are there any others out there that are at the same age as a parent who died at age you are at now? It is a bit freaky...
Thanks,
Sue

Replies

• calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Not in that position, but I can see how it would be scary. You're on the right track, though.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    My parents were both pretty wrecked by the time they were fifty. They both died pretty young from complications of type 2 diabetes and strokes. I keep thinking if I keep on like I was going, I've only got about 10 good (well, actually, not so good) years left. It is a sobering thought. So, I understand your sentiment. You can do this. Good luck.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My hubby's dad past away when he was 38 years old from lung cancer and my hubby lived his whole life thinking that he would only live to 38. He's now 53 and I don't think he thinks of it as much anymore. People die at different ages and of different ailments. We live in a different world then our parents lived in. Technology has come along way and certain diseases are not death sentences any longer. You'll be fine dear, but I know its a scary thing. Nothing I ever said seemed to help my husband. You just have to get beyond it.
  • PilatesConvert
    PilatesConvert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your fear. My mother also died of cancer when she was 50. I'm only 32 but part of me is already bracing for it to 'get me'. We are just starting to try to get pregnant so don't even get me started on the fear of dying with youngish kids.

My solution when this fear hits is to focus on medical advances. I work in biotechnology so I hear a lot about the AMAZING advances in cancer already since losing my mom. It will be a different game when I get my first major illness, be it cancer or something else. Until then I live my life as fully as possible, every day!
  • CritterSue
    CritterSue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply! I know technology has come a long way since my mom died. I'm really trying to treat my body better. I was very lax in my forties, and the weight started to climb when the metabolism slowed-ugh. I really appreciate your support!