sodium ... anyone have low sodium intake?

Options
2»

Replies

• tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I noticed last summer that mine was about 3X the recommended levels -- had no idea till I plateaued and decided to try something new to kick myself off of it. First thing I did to decrease it which seemed to make a huge difference just by itself is start using unsalted butter in recipes and on bread, rolls, etc. You could try the opposite and be sure to get salted butter if you are too low. Cottage cheese is another good one for sodium and healthy too. I love it and have to watch it because it can jack up my sodium too fast but since you need it, it could be part of your solution.
  • yuli23
    yuli23 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was consuming less than 1500 mgs a day and when I had my blood work a few months ago it came back slightly below recommendations, so my doctor told me to increase my intake. No one was more shocked than me! I thought salt was the Devil and the lower the better. I am to be retested in October.

Thats how i felt ...
  • yuli23
    Options
    If I eat good food, I'll usually around 600, sometimes 1000. It's only on days I eat out or have something a little more processed that it gets higher. Rarely is it up to 2000, and that's when I have a bad food day.

I don't even own salt. I don't like the way it makes things taste.

i dont add salt to anything cause well i always thought it was a "bad thing"... my parents don't use it much cause of their blood pressure???i think it is ... so "bland" food wasn't a big deal. its when i eat clean that i am below 500.
  • yuli23
    Options
    i was always told by my mom ... salt is bad !! so i always stayed away and bought low sodium or no sodium products. i think i will give that a try thanx
  • yuli23
    Options
    I'm on a low sodium diet for a medical condition. Sodium hides everywhere. It's very hard for me to keep it low. I'm getting better and seeing where it is hiding now but it's still there. Eggs cheese bread etc. if you need more sodium soya sauce has lots! It's one of the things I miss the most.

it takes time ... dont worry ... you will get there.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If I eat good food, I'll usually around 600, sometimes 1000. It's only on days I eat out or have something a little more processed that it gets higher. Rarely is it up to 2000, and that's when I have a bad food day.

i dont add salt to anything cause well i always thought it was a "bad thing"... my parents don't use it much cause of their blood pressure???i think it is ... so "bland" food wasn't a big deal. its when i eat clean that i am below 500.

Ouch! I grew up like this because my father had blood pressure problems. If he'd only lose the weight!

I learned what food was supposed to taste like when I got married and was fortunate enough to marry someone who is awesome in the kitchen. You can eat at least some of the good stuff and still lose weight. My diet includes pizza, beer, chicken wings and ice cream. And no, not massive amounts of it, just reasonable portions.
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My sodium is always really low too. I never realized that was a bad thing. But I guess if its just not entered in here I really don't know how much I'm getting without a ton of research?
  • yuli23
    Options

Ouch! I grew up like this because my father had blood pressure problems. If he'd only lose the weight!

I learned what food was supposed to taste like when I got married and was fortunate enough to marry someone who is awesome in the kitchen. You can eat at least some of the good stuff and still lose weight. My diet includes pizza, beer, chicken wings and ice cream. And no, not massive amounts of it, just reasonable portions.

i dont like you !!! lol jk ... i used to eat that way in moderation.... but i started to eat clean because my husband wasnt on the same page and it was hard. Now he is on the page i was on 2 yrs ago and well i lost it ... lost the drive and well moderation is not something i can do right now so i took it all out and well started eating clean .... i think i will go back to moderation once i am strong enough to stop after one slice or half a slice of cake.... i cant lie to myself now cause i would only cheat me.
  • yuli23
    Options
    My sodium is always really low too. I never realized that was a bad thing. But I guess if its just not entered in here I really don't know how much I'm getting without a ton of research?

exactly !! i just goggled low sodium then i read how ugh it was not to have enough sodium ... i was wondering if it was something ppl who dont eat much processed food where also experiencing and what they did about it
  • yuli23
    Options
    were*
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

i dont like you !!! lol jk ... i used to eat that way in moderation.... but i started to eat clean because my husband wasnt on the same page and it was hard. Now he is on the page i was on 2 yrs ago and well i lost it ... lost the drive and well moderation is not something i can do right now so i took it all out and well started eating clean .... i think i will go back to moderation once i am strong enough to stop after one slice or half a slice of cake.... i cant lie to myself now cause i would only cheat me.

Fair enough. I've been there so I do understand. Just buy some iodized salt for the table! lol
  • yuli23
    Options
    i eat the same thing over and over ... chicken breast that i grill i sprinkle it lemon or a no sodium mr dash ... and white rice or quiona which i dont season.... that is dinner and lunch .... breakfast is a banana some sort of fruit.... i will have a yogurt for a snack.

Unless you found very hard to find no sodium chicken, it has sodium in it:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/sodium-in-chicken-00412000070041/

Only the Lemon and Ms Dash dont' have sodium (Ms Dash uses Potassium instead). Everything else has sodium in it.

But I'd make sure. Like has been said eating under 600mg of sodium is flat out dangerous.

i have about 4 oz at lunch and 4 at dinner and well you are right its not adding the sodium for the chicken ... and i am sure there is some in chicken
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Funny, I am sitting here googling low sodium foods, I need lunch ideas, I aim for under 1500, and its a huge struggle for me.
  • yuli23
    Options
    Funny, I am sitting here googling low sodium foods, I need lunch ideas, I aim for under 1500, and its a huge struggle for me.

i dont eat much processed foods .... i eat bland
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that sodium in a healthy body will be processed with out concern. It is only un-healthy bodies with diet and exercise limitations that should worry about sodium. I have no idea what that means, but I felt liberated! I hated low sodium, it made me feel like I was on a diet. Yay! Now I am eating all the sodium that fits what I what I want to eat. Some days it is higher, some days it is lower.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am on a modified diet and after 3 months of learning, I rarely break 1200mg. The human body only needs 500mg of sodium a day. I cannot believe you are only getting 1100mg a week. Not with how much hidden sodium there is in food. Naturally occurring sodium in a week's worth of meat would add up to more than that.

Methinks you may have been using entries that don't have sodium listed. It's one of my banes, because most people just input the calories and fat. I don't track fat, but if I add a food to the database, I will put ALL of the nutrition info, darnit.