Sore but want to exercise

Options
Hi-
I have been working out pretty well the majority of this week. I think I have worked out about 5-6 days. Yesterday and Thursday I did weights and cardio (hiking, elliptical, and walking). Today, I woke up incredibly sore, particularly my left thigh. I am not sure I want to take a day off from exercise as I still want to eat more food than without the exercise. Do you have any suggestions of light activities I can still do but that will burn calories?
Thanks!

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Do some yoga :)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Yoga or walking. You can also do something like elliptical at a more leisurely pace/resistance level than usual. Leisurely swimming, if you have access. Or if you're going to be more active today anyway, running extra errands or doing extra chores (as many people do on weekends), then that may cover it.

But you sound like you'd benefit from a rest day, so don't push harder than you should just to get some extra calories. Remember that you can eat anywhere between your target and your maintenance for the day, and all you'll do is create a smaller deficit than usual, or no deficit, which may be worth it for the rest.

In future, if you keep up your exercise, you may want to look into TDEE -x%. This would spread all your exercise calories evenly onto your daily targets, so you can eat the same every day, even rest days.
  • Harlequin1983
    Harlequin1983 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Your body needs rest days too! If you are sore, just do a light walk. It will keep those muscles from tightening even more. Also, i suggest getting a foam roller for tight knots in your body. It rolls on your tender muscles to relax them. A dough roller works too! Learn to love the burn! Its ok to be sore, just not in pain!! Let your body relax, and dont wear yourself out! You will burn out quickly if you do!
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    what kind of sore is your leg? if it's muscle fatigue sore, i say super slow walking (walking while shopping or go downtown so you're doing something else too!) is ok. if it's more like an injury pain - which it sounds like it might be since it's just one leg, you might want to just do some light stretching and give your body a break. take a bath in some epsom salts, it's not HOO HAW, the magnesium really does help.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Warm up gently, including stretches, see if you feel like you can work through it. Personally I feel like I get more from a session if I'm a little sore.