Fuel for running

Options
I am a new runner, can currently run for 28 minutes straight. During my runs I am able to breathe fine but my legs get really tired and I push through it to complete but it is really becoming a struggle. I run right after work before I eat dinner so I am wondering what the best fuel is to get me and my tired legs through the runs a little easier. When and what should I eat/drink prior to running. I am hoping to keep whatever it is at or under 200 calories if possible. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Replies

• c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat some nuts and a piece of fruit about 1.5 hrs before my evening runs. I've also tried PB sandwiches, though they didn't agree with my stomach as well. Whatever you choose, make sure its light but sustainable and that you eat it in plenty of time so it doesnt come back up during your run.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs (like white bread, white rice, pasta, and the like) taken an hour before works. Three tablespoons' worth of table sugar 15 minutes before works as well. If your legs are still sore, then it's not due to lack of energy, it's just that the exercise is currently too intense for them. Just take a couple of extra days to rest, then run again.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for responding. I packed some extra fruit and nuts to eat at 4 so hopefully I will be fueled for my 5p run. I already have quite a bit of breads in my diet so I'd rather not add more right now but will try it if the fruit and nuts don't work. My legs aren't sore they just get to feeling exhausted like they have no more energy left to keep me going. I run T/Th/Sat so I think I am getting a good amount of rest. I will monitor that though.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I agree with the foods mentioned. Also, maybe try running in the morning on the weekend. That might let you push through your "wall". I tend to do better in the morning.... less heat and humidity & fresher legs. Good luck!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I've been using Cyto Carb for a while. Its just pure complex carbs. 210 calories 52g carbs 2g sugar. I just mix it in vitamin water zero and goto school.
  • insertcoinshere
    insertcoinshere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some fruits, although high in carbs and sugars which are great for a pre-run snack, are also high in fibre. I would choose your fruits carefully, otherwise you could suffer GI issues on your run. For me, apples and pears do not agree with my stomach before a run. Bananas are a great option, and very easily digestible for most people.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ...then it's not due to lack of energy, it's just that the exercise is currently too intense for them. Just take a couple of extra days to rest, then run again.

This is actually my first instinct. That your muscles are just too tired and sore before you start your run, so its hard to finish. How often do you run? When you are first starting out, you might want to run every other day, and don't increase your miles more than about 10% every week.

Of course, it could be that you just don't have enough calories, and if thats the case then everything others have said here will help!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    try an apple about 30 minutes before your run.
  • Jadesha
    Jadesha Posts: 17
    Options
    I usually have a banana smothered in peanut butter b4 my wkouts & it works pretty fine cause they're both fuel foods. Also, try some coconut water if you have access to it. Goodluck!!!
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Banana about 30m's prior is fantastic.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, for me, blueberries seem to be the magic key for me. I eat 2 cups of fresh blueberries and I do AMAZING!!! The first time I gave blueberries a go, I ran over 7miles, pushing 65lb stroller and kept with a 10min pace which I felt was pretty dang good with going up and down hills at a lake near our house. I couldn't believe it. Thought it was a fluke, tried it several times, and I always run better, farther, harder, etc.

And I agree, it is often difficult to run in the evening after a longs day work too. Hopefully you are also drinking lots during the day to ensure you are fully hydrated as well.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner, can currently run for 28 minutes straight.
    That's pretty good for being new to it. Mostly you need patience; building up endurance is a slow process.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    also a fan of bananas!
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't believe thats happens because the "fuel" . Usually the body can run pretty well 45 min - 1 hour without eat nothing before.
    I think it's your body getting used to run let it improve and that pain gonna stop..
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Add another vote to the "it's not the fuel, it's your body learning to run."

You want your legs to not be tired after only 25-30 minutes? Run longer, slower runs once a week, find a good distance training program and stick to it. You need to build endurance, it doesn't just happen, you need to work at it. Food intake before hand won't matter.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    you are undercarbed ..being a runner for 20 years ...strictly middle distance I realized that it hasnt much to do with what I am eating just prior or during a run..but what I ate last night etc. A runners body must be flooded with Carbs...fruits veggies pasta rice corn bread potatoes..try it! you should be eating minimum 400 grams carbs a day..this keeps you skinny as well
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    As you continue running, you'll feel less achy. But if you want to eat something, pretty much any carb between 50 and 200 calories will fuel a 5K run.

I usually grab a piece of fruit, but a slice of bread, even a beer, will fuel you for a run.

I don't necessarily suggest you drink a beer every evening before running, but I've had a beer and immediately gotten up for a 5K and run really well.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'll say my legs are usually the last things to give out. Usually its breathing for me.

I can't eat anything big before a run or I'll have to brown bomb. As others said fruit is a good call.
    Once your up a bit over the 30 min mark. I have a stash of gels and spots beans.

the beans work best for me pre-run but I like the gels better on the go. Chocolate milk post run. If your not already drinking this post run, start, its like runner-crack for me.

my long run goes like this:
    (coffee, if its in the AM)
    Sports beans/water
    jelly-belly-sport-beans.jpg

mile 5-6 gel
    GU_106_24-2.jpg?1364905132

post run chocolate milk
    p-ref-chocolate.jpg
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that it's not what you're eating, but it's that you're running too fast.

Slow down...
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've recently discover "Cardo Igniter"...It's a powder added to water...15 calories per scoop..and it gives me a little boost when I have to run after my day at work. Otherwise, I try to run in the morning to ensure that my legs are well rested. I am able to run longer, and faster when I run in the morning.