Wanna start running! Starting C25K!

Wondering if anyone out there is in the same spot I am! I am not a runner but wanna be! I have my app downloaded and new running shoes!

Replies

• vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    OMG! I was just talking to teenage daughter about starting on Monday. Add me for motivation. We could do it!
  • gettingittogether15
    gettingittogether15 Posts: 49 Member
    Awesome! I can't wait to be able to really run longer than 2 mins lol!
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    I just finished week 5! It really works if you follow it, i always look forward to jogging now. Don't be afraid to go slow :) have fun!
  • gettingittogether15
    I always get to week 3 and then I get so sore or life happens... I just gotta do it and ACTUALLY finished it this time! Congrats on getting to week 5!
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Just finished Week 3! I wasn't sure how I would do (I haven't run since high school gym class and I hated it then), but I absolutely LOVE it so far! I'm trying to be careful about stretching afterwards and I usually take a day or two off in between, which helps with the soreness. I also ice my knee immediately after, since it's been problematic for years.

A killed playlist also helps. Good luck to you!!
  • gettingittogether15
    Congrats on finishing week 3!! Love listening to my workout playlist - on the bike or tread!
    Thanks for luck!
  • 21deadmonkeys
    21deadmonkeys Posts: 20 Member
    catieraney wrote: »
    I just finished week 5! It really works if you follow it, i always look forward to jogging now. Don't be afraid to go slow :) have fun!

Me too! I never thought I'd be able to run for 20 min straight especially since week 5 day 2 took me two trys.
  • Simo429
    Simo429 Posts: 10 Member
    It's ridiculous how quickly you improve I started c25k on the second week of January yesterday I ran 12 miles in 123 minutes. Keep going but be aware it's addictive
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Just finished week 3! It's amazing to see how far I've come so quickly!
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Simo429 wrote: »
    It's ridiculous how quickly you improve I started c25k on the second week of January yesterday I ran 12 miles in 123 minutes. Keep going but be aware it's addictive
    Wow congrats on this!!!!

So for those who are finishing up the c25k or have completed it, how many miles do u end up running if you track them?
    I am only on week 2 and tried to track how far I went. I only went 1.75 miles. I am ok with it but is that a normal distance?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    It all depends how fast you can go. If you're just starting out don't worry about speed/distance. Just make sure you're moving slightly faster than you're walking on the running sections.
    A lot of people make the mistake of going too fast on the running sections when they first start and then can make it through the while programme. Once you've learnt to run for 30 mins, you can then either do it again but go faster or just start to push your running speed.
  • Megeffer
    Megeffer Posts: 48 Member
    I just finished week 3 day 1. *kitten* just got real.
  • gettingittogether15
    I just finished week 3 day 1. *kitten* just got real.

Nice! Week 3 kills - thats when I quit and have to start over later. ;) Im determined to make it past week 3 and actually finish it!
  • bonestm
    bonestm Posts: 29 Member
    not really a runner but want to be , so I guess we on the same boat. what better time to start than today...
  • gettingittogether15
    bonestm wrote: »
    not really a runner but want to be , so I guess we on the same boat. what better time to start than today...

Nice! I swear making your mind up to do it is the hardest! Today is my day 2 of week 1...

• VyseN
    VyseN Posts: 32 Member
    I have never heard of this program, but I have some experience training for long distance running from absolutely no exercise to actually completing a half marathon. My best advice would be to watch out for repetitive strain injuries when you start adding distance to your runs. Not listening to your body when things start to hurt is very tempting, but if you do injure yourself it does set you back quite a lot. If you just got new shoes, make sure to walk them in properly before you go for longer runs. If you do feel something start hurting when you run, stop running and walk home and RICE (Rest, Ice it, Compress, Elevate) helps. If you feel pain in your knee, it's best to stop, ice it and take a break... you do NOT want runners knee.

Tldr: for a runner, make sure to take certain steps if you start feeling pain. Not all pain is good pain!
  • gettingittogether15
    VyseN wrote: »
    I have never heard of this program, but I have some experience training for long distance running from absolutely no exercise to actually completing a half marathon. My best advice would be to watch out for repetitive strain injuries when you start adding distance to your runs. Not listening to your body when things start to hurt is very tempting, but if you do injure yourself it does set you back quite a lot. If you just got new shoes, make sure to walk them in properly before you go for longer runs. If you do feel something start hurting when you run, stop running and walk home and RICE (Rest, Ice it, Compress, Elevate) helps. If you feel pain in your knee, it's best to stop, ice it and take a break... you do NOT want runners knee.

Tldr: for a runner, make sure to take certain steps if you start feeling pain. Not all pain is good pain!

Thanks for the tips! Im using an app that has preprogrammed "workouts" that last 30 minutes each. You start with a 5 minute warm up walk and then do a certain amount of time "running" then you go back to a walk and alternate the run and walk for 20 minutes and then a 5 minute cool down. Each week the run time intervals increase and walking time decreases. (I hope this is making sense). Suppose to be able to run 5k by the end of 8 weeks.

I'm a SLLLOOOWW runner - not interested in tons of pain and not being able to get back on the treadmill for a week (already learned that lesson!) Right now I just really want to be able to run for 30 minutes straight. I know that even after the 8 weeks, I probably won't be able to run 5k but I will be a lot closer than I am now and eventually I will be able to run that far!

I think you're dead on when it comes to listening to your body. :)