Poll: exercise frequency

Options
Hi everyone! I'm interested in how often those aiming to lose weight exercise, particularly those with a significant amount to lose (I'd say at least 50 lbs) such as myself. I've been at 6 days/week for a few months now, and I'm happy with it, but it isn't always easy to get a workout in nearly every day. I'm at the point where if I have to take an unplanned rest day, I get nervous that it'll keep me from losing. So I'm just curious to see how often the rest of you are exercising and how it's working for you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a 10k at the moment, so running 3 times a week
  • lotsofowls
    lotsofowls Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also if you don't mind telling me what your weight loss goal is that would be very helpful!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Rest is part of anyones exercise regime. Think about sustaining rather than burning yourself into the ground. Exercise is primarily about fitness first. Weight loss starts in the kictchen so change your perspective.

I make sure i move every day execept my total rest day. On exercie days I do a lot, but i pace myself, fuel myself and have no heisttaion at missing a day if my body doesnt feel right. I lose consitently. It will not keep you from losing, but it makes it easier as well as having some beneficial effects. If you are going from couch potato and out of condition then do it steadily and dont worry. Do something you enjoy. Im on the gum most days, but 3x a week is fine. A lot is what you do and for how long.

More than 50, yes i managed it, exercise played a significant role. Please do both resistance and cardio. Exercise is awesome I dislike the effort bit its very satisfying getting stronger, fitter faster.
    4-6 times a week soemtimes 2x a day, but the gym is close to me so i cna go home have a rest and then go back.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've got about 25lbs left to lose and I exercise, on average, 5 times a week. I was sometimes exercising for 10 consecutive days whilst on maternity leave (hubby works shifts so was easy to fit round that) but now I'm back at work it's harder (when hubby is on late shift). I do a lot of walking too, plus with 3 kids, and working part time as a secondary school teacher, I very rarely sit down.

I started back at the gym just after my 6 week check. I've lost around 40lbs already.

I'm like you, I get worried if I miss a workout.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost almost 50 since january and have at LEAST another 50 to go.

i exercise 3-6 times a week, mostly cardio but some strength training too (generally 40-60 minutes each time)

i do typically eat back my calories- whether its all or some or none depend on the day lol
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 so far, ~70 to go. I lift 3x a week and do cardio up to 3x a week for 30min; my so-called rest day usually ends up a hike or in the winter, skating in the park, whatever fun is available outdoors that season. I never worry if I miss the cardio because it's primarily to make my heart and lungs healthier, not for weight loss (for me). I keep up the lifting for the sheer joy of it, I am hooked :) so I do it regularly to make progress, see stronger muscles, lift heavier weights and just feel altogether awesome. But again I don't really do it for the weight loss. I think you will lose if you keep a consistent deficit, which can happen entirely in the kitchen.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    When I had 60lbs to lose, I worked out 3-4 days a week. Averaged 30 minutes a day. Now, with only 8lbs left and more focused on fitness goals than my weight, I exercise 5-6 days a week, anywhere from 45 minutes to over 2 hours (long runs). I'm a runner and play other sports, so all the exercise is for those goals.

The key to losing weight isn't exercise; it's your calorie deficit. I believe in exercise, but don't stress if you need an extra rest day here or there. Adjust your daily calories on those days if you need to.
  • lotsofowls
    lotsofowls Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies everyone! I feel like it'll be helpful if I provide more background about myself-I have 80-100 pounds to lose. I'm a college rugby player who's recovering from a back/nerve injury, so for a while I was very very limited with what I could do. During that period where I could hardly exercise, I got in the habit of really focusing on nutrition-it's been a few months since then so the habit's stuck. With the help of my trainer I got into lifting, and I'm now lifting and doing cardio 6 days/week-I alternate arm and leg days. It's definitely helping but it's slow! I need to build muscle though, both because I lost it from injury and to help with my sport. Thanks again for your contributions!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't do planned or structured exercise. I walk instead of sitting down while watching Netflix and live streams. It's about 10 hours a day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    My concern is dont overdo it pacing yourself and managing expectations is important. My gym attendance has been awesome, but its not for everyone and you must always use common sense to avoid injuries,overtraining, burnout. the 100lbs to lose will be defeated by calorie control first and foremost, so you might find it helpful to ise performance masures for exercise relating to speed and strength so you cna see progress there without constantly relating it back o your need to lose. Start readying your mind that your journey will take many weeks I think 1lb a week gives you an idea of how long it might take, fast start but slows down.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I don't do planned or structured exercise. I walk instead of sitting down while watching Netflix and live streams. It's about 10 hours a day.

You walk 10 hours a day?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I aim for 10k steps a day, six days a week. Three days a week I go to the pool and swim laps for an hour and go right into a 50 minute long water aerobics class.

When I started, all I did was the water aerobics and I have been adding more as I have been able to do more. When I first got my Fitbit, I set my goal to 2000 steps and often didn't even get that so it has been a slow building process over the last year plus.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I run, usually, six times a week, 50-60km weekly now. I'm not running for weight loss but to build up endurance with a view to running a marathon or one day an ultra. The other day I'll ride. Most days I'm also walking and doing some body weight work. My running rest days might be just a short and easy run. When I need a total break, I take it.

Started at 255 with 105 pounds to lose, currently just under 190 so about 40 left.

Running is for fitness but sure, I do leave some extra calorie deficit on the books at times.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I do Stronglifts three times a week and a 3-4 mile walk 2-3 times a week. I'm also about to start yoga on weekday mornings, so I might switch my permanent rest day from Monday to Saturday and add some HIIT in on Mondays.

Oh yeah...lost 60, with 40-50 more to go.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I've been at maintenance for over 8 months, when losing I worked out 6 days a week and walk on my rest day.....I still am just as active.
    60 mins min combo of running/strength x 6 and at least 16k steps a day.

It takes the workouts to help burn off the calories when losing, then you really get to enjoy your workouts and it's about stamina, fitness and endorphins :smile:
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Please can we trade lives

Also, I exercise every day, including walking/active recovery days. I do it for fitness, and because I love running, not necessarily for weight loss. (That was my initial reason, but I now eat most of my calories back so it pretty much cancels out that effect.)

Looking to lose another 9-19 pounds. But pretty much eating at maintenance right now.
  • Sam_LJackson
    Sam_LJackson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Strength training 3x/week, jogging 3x/week. The jogs are about 30 mins apiece, and the strength training sessions are generally 15-20 minutes (I work out at home so I don't have to wait for machines or anything :)).

I also walk the dog once daily for 20-30 minutes so I generally hit 10k steps with the fitbit flex.

Lost 15, 5 to go.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have lost 80 lbs and gained 20 back after an injury. I workout 5-6 days a week with lifting an hour a day and cardio maybe half an hour twice a week. Im not disapointed in the re gain as i know i have gained muscle with some of that. Right now my goal is to lose 8 lbs and be at 135.

I dont do well with rest days. I feel like i am missing something when i dont move my body. Occasionally i can and will take 3 in a row but thats my limit.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I exercise when I feel like it. Sometimes once or twice a week, sometimes more, sometimes not at all. I lost 50 lbs thus far, about another 60 lbs to go :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    I encourage my clients to exercise a MINIMUM of 2 times a week. Exercise ISN'T needed for weight loss but helps to create a calorie deficit and also helps with the "hardness" of your muscle underneath all that excess fat. Cardio doesn't have to be anything more than just walking, but of course cardio with a higher heart rate will burn more calories for the same duration and distance.
    When it comes to it though, it should be an exercise program that you will continue to do for life and not just weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png