binge

Options
Been three days now and so far so good I have been watching what I eat. Have done good for three days. Could use some help from people out there. With encouragement

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    For people who are prone to bingeing, it's important not to be too ambitious with your goals. If your deficit is too big, you're likely to feel seriously deprived which can trigger a binge. What are your calories set at?
  • tmarie1989
    tmarie1989 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A good way to reduce bingeing is to slowly change the foods you eat instead of all at once! Instead of getting rid of all the junk food in your pantry or replacing all of your snacks for veggies, try getting rid of or replacing one or two items a week for a healthier version. From original lays to baked chips to homemade chips, or white rice to brown rice - even if you have to take baby steps, it will help!

You got this! :)
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I had a kind of serious issue with bingeing a couple of years ago - I'd eat over 2000 calories in one short sitting and stuff myself till I was ready to burst. I didn't seek any help for it or anything, but personally how I got over it was by firstly recognising what my triggers were - certain events/emotions unrelated to food itself for the most part; also relating certain foods with certain emotions and so forth. Then whenever I thought I was going to binge, I used to take a long shower, write in my diary (yes, I had one of those), or bury myself in my work/assignments etc. so I could distract myself. I also had certain trigger foods which I initially completely cut out, and then slowly reintroduced in small quantities. I still stay away from them when I'm in one of my moods, but I am almost always able to eat them in moderation now. It took a very long time, but at the risk of sounding like a cliche, you need to address the underlying problems and change your behaviour accordingly. At least that's what helped me.

Hope that helps a little! And good luck :)
  • reeves45
    reeves45 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Recently I had one of those weeks, not just a day. Almost just said forget it, this is to hard. I am like one of those dogs who could eat themselves to death.
    Have lost 30 pounds up to this point, have 60 more to go. In it for the long haul. I adore food, one of those people who live to eat. I sooooo understand bingeing.
    This week I refocused, put on clothes that were too tight 30 pounds ago, did my workout, got back on the healthy diet, weighed on Thursday, and found out I actually lost 2 pounds.
    My emotions rule my eating habits, so hard to retrain your brain not to use food for coping mechanism.
    I am trying to just go one week at a time. Took me 20 yrs to get this weight, so will take at least a year or two to take it off.
    Be kind to yourself, reinforce the positive, know that you will fall of the wagon, just get over it, hook the horses back up and plod on.