Running, calories burned?

Options
Hi

I'm not new here, I've been using this site for a few years now. One of the most common things I read is that exercise calorie burns are vastly overrated; both by the MFP app and by most machines. I wear a HRM that has my weight, height and age on it, and it seems to be super high for a burn for my run. I also use MapMyRun, which is even higher.

Out of pure curiosity, I went to a whole slew of websites, I don't even remember them all, but there were at least 4. ALL of them were consistent with my HRM, with saying on my last run (I used the same exact data for all) of 9.1 miles in 1:34, that I burned about 1200 calories. Only MapMyRun was higher, they came in around 1400.

General consensus appears to be that the 'average' person burns around 100 calories per mile, but in estimating MY burn, this does not appear to be the case. I am 5'11, F, and 170 lbs. I am a fairly new runner, but try to do around 8 miles per day.

I don't plan to eat them back, but a good calorie burn estimate would be helpful. Does anyone have a known favorite site/tracker/app that seems to be an accurate burn estimator?

Any advice or info would be fabulous :)

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You're going to run about 56 miles per week and don't plan to eat back any of those calories? Why?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're burning anywhere near that amount during a run, you're going to want to eat at least some of those calories back to fuel your body.
  • abmo32
    abmo32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    machines might be overrating but keep in mind that this kind of activity boosts your metabolism. Depending on the intensitiy you might even have the after burn effect (your BMR is raised for like a day in some cases)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Generally 0.63 x weight in pounds x miles ran is a good estimate for your net burn (running burn - BMR). So for 9 miles, 964 calories for you.

But if you want to run that much, you should really eat something back. Or else you are asking for trouble.

Also, if you're a new runner, why are you running advanced marathoner levels of miles? This is a recipe for burnout.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    About 100 calories a mile is very conservative for you. I had the same concern the previous poster had about that high of mileage for an untrained runner and not eating back a portion of running calories. You have presented the perfect storm for injuring yourself.

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Generally 0.63 x weight in pounds x miles ran is a good estimate for your net burn (running burn - BMR). So for 9 miles, 964 calories for you.

But if you want to run that much, you should really eat something back. Or else you are asking for trouble.

Also, if you're a new runner, why are you running advanced marathoner levels of miles? This is a recipe for burnout.

Thanks for the help. I was unaware that this was considered high miles. I ran a 5k in October, and a 7k in mid April. I registered for a series so my next two races are 10k, followed by a 10 mile in October. I was concerned that I wouldn't be ready.

I don't eat back my calories as a general rule, although judging from your input, maybe I'll do 50% or so.

Thanks again!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi

I'm not new here, I've been using this site for a few years now. One of the most common things I read is that exercise calorie burns are vastly overrated; both by the MFP app and by most machines. I wear a HRM that has my weight, height and age on it, and it seems to be super high for a burn for my run. I also use MapMyRun, which is even higher.

Out of pure curiosity, I went to a whole slew of websites, I don't even remember them all, but there were at least 4. ALL of them were consistent with my HRM, with saying on my last run (I used the same exact data for all) of 9.1 miles in 1:34, that I burned about 1200 calories. Only MapMyRun was higher, they came in around 1400.

General consensus appears to be that the 'average' person burns around 100 calories per mile, but in estimating MY burn, this does not appear to be the case. I am 5'11, F, and 170 lbs. I am a fairly new runner, but try to do around 8 miles per day.

I don't plan to eat them back, but a good calorie burn estimate would be helpful. Does anyone have a known favorite site/tracker/app that seems to be an accurate burn estimator?

Any advice or info would be fabulous :)

Thanks in advance.

I'm a similar size...5'10" and 166...and female. I haven't done a 9 mile run yet, but on the recent 4 mile runs I've done I'm averaging about 125 calories per mile according to runkeeper. That's running a little slower than you...about an 11 1/2 min/mile pace. I do know when I run a little faster (on my shorter runs), the burn per mile increases a bit. My guess is your 1200 could be accurate...at least as accurate as any calorie estimates are.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    At 180-185 lbs I consistently burn about 135-140 calories per mile at almost any pace.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    You're going to run about 56 miles per week and don't plan to eat back any of those calories? Why?
    My question exactly. Not eating them back is a plan for disaster because it's those extra calories that fuel your body.

Also, OP, why are you running so much?
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. I was unaware that this was considered high miles. I ran a 5k in October, and a 7k in mid April. I registered for a series so my next two races are 10k, followed by a 10 mile in October. I was concerned that I wouldn't be ready.

I don't eat back my calories as a general rule, although judging from your input, maybe I'll do 50% or so.

Thanks again!

Have you done some research on how to train for running distance? If you want to run a 10 km race you don't go out and run 10km everyday until the race, same goes for longer distances. You generally do a mix of intervals, hills and endurance of varying time or distance durations. Marathon runners don't run a marathon every day to train for a marathon. They would get injured and fatigued if they did. And you need to fuel your running properly otherwise as others have mentioned you could be setting yourself up for injury and/or illness.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Are you at least eating at maintenance levels if you don't plan on eating those exercise calories back?