so confused. can use some experts to weigh in.

Options
Okay I am 5ft 7in and was 135 lbs which is in the normal range, but my goal is to lose ten pounds. MFP had to at 1510 call intake with the stationery setting (meaning I worked at a desk job or was a couch potatoe.) Okay, all good.

Except now I lost 3 pounds (yay!) And have 7 pounds left to go. Because I workout 3-4 times a week I changed my setting to lightly active. Now it's asking me to eat 1700 ish calories a day. Idk, this just seems off. I don't log in my strength training exercises, only my cardio so it might not be too bad...but I honestly don't know. Before I start eating more calories than before I need some input.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You need to stick with something for more than a week before adjusting. Stay at 1700 and eat back half your exercise calories for at least 2-4 weeks while weighing yourself every morning. Look at the long term trend on your weight. Is it going up or down the rate you want it? If not, then adjust.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Yes, just stick with your original setting of 1510 cal for 2 or 3 weeks ... even a month. See how it goes.

Also, if you're an office worker, stay at sedentary. Then if you exercise, add your exercise on top of that. You can then eat back some of your exercise calories if you want.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    With MFP, your activity level is based on your daily life WITHOUT exercise. When you exercise, you log it. Then, you are supposed to eat those calories (though some people eat only 50-75% to account for inaccuracies).

If you use MFP as it is designed, you would leave your setting at sedentary (according to you), then log in your exercise, then eat accordingly.

If you want to account for your exercise up front, you are using the TDEE method. If you're going to do that, I would suggest you use an outside calculator and then manually change your calories in MFP. People often recommend http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ .
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So you have a BMI of 21 and are aiming for a BMI of 19.5
    which whilst both within the healthy range they are both low

Is this just about scale weight or is it because you have some objective for how you want your body to look

I only ask because I spent years obsessing about scale weight until I finally, torturously, worked out that it doesn't matter a jot ...what I really wanted was my body to look a certain way and that was done through musculature

As an illustration see how this girls figure has got smaller, tighter and more shapely as her scale weight increased - this is down to building muscles

q8px3utiyfvg.jpg
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Is this just about scale weight or is it because you have some objective for how you want your body to look

I only ask because I spent years obsessing about scale weight until I finally, torturously, worked out that it doesn't matter a jot ...what I really wanted was my body to look a certain way and that was done through musculature

As an illustration see how this girls figure has got smaller, tighter and more shapely as her scale weight increased - this is down to building muscles

q8px3utiyfvg.jpg

^^This.

foo9n6m4g11t.gif

(I made you a present Rabbit!!)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

q8px3utiyfvg.jpg

^^This.

foo9n6m4g11t.gif

(I made you a present Rabbit!!)

Ooo.....Cover me in chocolate and call me delighted

:bigsmile:
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

q8px3utiyfvg.jpg

I seen that picture many times, but it kind of implies she lost fat and increased muscle at the same time. Possibly she went through cycles of cutting/bulking Idk.

But yes, right now the scale for me isn't being friendly, i got a tape measure and focus on what matters. How my physical body changes, no what the scale says, the scale doesn't matter much.

ETA: this might benefit some people. So what i have been doing now is taking the moving average of my weight, I use that. Then i use my physical measurements(from the measuring tape) to estimate my body fat. This directly correlates physical body composition to scale weight. If your body measurements are getting smaller, and your scale weight is the same or going up, it's suggest your body fat is getting lower. What most of us want.

Yes, this is pretty much what i am trying to do. I am also taking weekly pictures in case I get discouraged using the scale (which is my main tool at the moment).
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Quite sure 135lb for 5 ft 7 isn't in the normal range.....more like underweight. I mean I'm 5'4 and I'm 131lb and I'm quite thin.....
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you increased your activity level because you are exercising, then it lets you eat more calories.
    If you also log the exercise, then it gives you even more.

You're taking double credit for your exercise. "Activity Level" is meant to be what you do throughout the day outside of the times your are exercising.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Also, if you're an office worker, stay at sedentary. Then if you exercise, add your exercise on top of that. You can then eat back some of your exercise calories if you want.

Agreed; you should enter sedentary if you're working a desk job so that if one week, you can't exercise, you won't have to recalculate everything. Just log in the exercise you do when you do it and eat some of those cals back.
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't know about what anyone else thinks, but that middle picture looks like a man to me. I can buy the two outer pictures being of the same person maybe, but I think the middle one is a hard sell in my opinion.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Quite sure 135lb for 5 ft 7 isn't in the normal range.....more like underweight. I mean I'm 5'4 and I'm 131lb and I'm quite thin.....

I'm 5'6" and 135 is right in the middle of the healthy BMI for me.

OP, as other have said, stick with the goals that have been working for you.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    5.7 and 135 is within the normal BMI range, but, as rabbit pointed out, on the lower side. For some reason, some people think that they will look and feel better if they only got to the "almost underweight" range. Chances are though that once they get there, they will still feel fat until they start lifting and seeing changes in their bodies (yes, I know I am just repeating stuff here, but it's important stuff, so it's worth repeating :smile: )
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Along with the pictures you can also track your measurements. The scale is not the only sign of progress. It's marathon, not a sprint. Give what you're doing time to work for you! :smiley:
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Along with the pictures you can also track your measurements. The scale is not the only sign of progress. It's marathon, not a sprint. Give what you're doing time to work for you! :smiley:

Thank you all! Trust me my goal is not to look or be overweight. I truly do want to lose body fat + gain muscle. However, I do feel like losing at least ten pounds will be good for me! I'm going to have my gym take my measurements from now on. Either that, or I'll just learn to do it myself. I lift weights way more than I do cardio exercises (one hour weights, around 20 min of cardio) so I'm not just trying to run it all off. :) y'all are the best and as always I have learned so much. I'm very glad I asked this question.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind, everyone carries weight differently. I am 5'7" and maintain around 127-130. I am definitely not underweight
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

q8px3utiyfvg.jpg

While I agree with the underlying principle you're trying to get across, those pictures aren't credible.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Please keep in mind, everyone carries weight differently. I am 5'7" and maintain around 127-130. I am definitely not underweight

Here are some pictures (taken a few mins ago) that I hope will help. I'm truly not at all underweight.

g9diednoq89s.jpg
    6cjd1bmrjcoh.jpg

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It seems like you just want to build some muscle as opposed to lose weight. You can input your numbers into Scooby and set the goal for "gain muscle, lose fat" and start there if you want.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    It seems like you just want to build some muscle as opposed to lose weight. You can input your numbers into Scooby and set the goal for "gain muscle, lose fat" and start there if you want.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

@psychgrrl This site is really confusing to me for some reason. I'm a bit of a newbie, so all the numbers are overwhelming. When I have time (I'm about to go to the gym) I'll study it a little more.