Motivational Thinking

Options
I have seen, over my time here, lots of different ways to go about achieving a healthy lifestyle; I have also seen many people on here looking for support because they feel like their situation is hopeless or daunting. While I realize there is no way for anyone to "do it for you", I wanted to share with you some of the thoughts and actions I have used to become a successful person in the (ongoing) battle against lethargy and unhealthy living.

Thoughts:
My struggle really began after an epiphany moment. I looked in the mirror one day and was disgusted with myself. I was forced, by sheer self-loathing, to act in a way that changed my life. I see, after changing my life and becoming comfortable with that new life, that not everyone has this defining moment in their life. For some, it's a gradual growth (both physical and mental) of their body, in many ways, this makes it harder because the human "condition" can become used to almost anything. On the upside, what makes humans so special is our ability to reason, and given that fact, we can force a "moment" to happen by sheer force of will. I recommend this, it creates a starting point, a reference (if you will), to begin a new chapter in our lives. Much failure is because old habits creep back, creating a starting point can help to eliminate those habits by generating a wall between the old "you" and the new. You don't need to write down the moment, book mark it, or record it. I don't remember the exact day it happened, I just remember exactly what I thought. That's all you need, those memories of how you felt, keep them fresh and think of them often, remember your determination at that moment, draw on it when you feel like you can't continue.

Actions:
While I would like to say that once my point of view changed, the fight was easy, but it wasn't. Action is probably harder then the realizations. I had to physically change how I used food in my daily life, this took action. Like throwing away the bad food in my life, getting out there and doing research and talking to people about what to eat, and what I SHOULD be eating. I also had to stop thinking and start doing with regards to exercise. I can honestly say, about 20 times the first month, I thought about quitting. It was never easy, it still isn't. I guess eventually it will become so ingrained in my life that I'll enjoy it, but lets be honest, while enjoying the exercises may be an option for a few, for most of us, it's seen as something we need to do despite how we feel about it. You can love the idea, you can love the results, but that doesn't mean you have to love the action. I hate taking out the trash, and folding laundry, but I do it, and I like to see the hamper empty when I'm done.

Reality Check:
"So what's the point of all this?" you may ask. Well, I made all these statement to emphasize one essential basic point. Changing your life is your responsibility. We all have moments of sadness and weakness, that's life, it sucks, get over it. My main point is, if you came this far and you're on here and reading this post, then you're probably pretty serious, the real question is "Are you serious enough to make the changes?” Most of you probably are (or already have), some of you might be wavering, that's ok, and it’s natural to be afraid of change. I can tell you one thing, even if you aren't sure, you can know that doing this to the BEST of your ability will never come back to haunt you. Remember, to try and fail is a road map to future success, to fail without trying is a sure fire way to continued failure. Everyone has the willpower to do this, it's a simple (simple doesn't necessarily mean easy) matter of taking control of your body instead of it controlling you.

I really hope this helps someone!

Best health to you all!

-Banks

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I have seen, over my time here, lots of different ways to go about achieving a healthy lifestyle; I have also seen many people on here looking for support because they feel like their situation is hopeless or daunting. While I realize there is no way for anyone to "do it for you", I wanted to share with you some of the thoughts and actions I have used to become a successful person in the (ongoing) battle against lethargy and unhealthy living.

Thoughts:
    My struggle really began after an epiphany moment. I looked in the mirror one day and was disgusted with myself. I was forced, by sheer self-loathing, to act in a way that changed my life. I see, after changing my life and becoming comfortable with that new life, that not everyone has this defining moment in their life. For some, it's a gradual growth (both physical and mental) of their body, in many ways, this makes it harder because the human "condition" can become used to almost anything. On the upside, what makes humans so special is our ability to reason, and given that fact, we can force a "moment" to happen by sheer force of will. I recommend this, it creates a starting point, a reference (if you will), to begin a new chapter in our lives. Much failure is because old habits creep back, creating a starting point can help to eliminate those habits by generating a wall between the old "you" and the new. You don't need to write down the moment, book mark it, or record it. I don't remember the exact day it happened, I just remember exactly what I thought. That's all you need, those memories of how you felt, keep them fresh and think of them often, remember your determination at that moment, draw on it when you feel like you can't continue.

Actions:
    While I would like to say that once my point of view changed, the fight was easy, but it wasn't. Action is probably harder then the realizations. I had to physically change how I used food in my daily life, this took action. Like throwing away the bad food in my life, getting out there and doing research and talking to people about what to eat, and what I SHOULD be eating. I also had to stop thinking and start doing with regards to exercise. I can honestly say, about 20 times the first month, I thought about quitting. It was never easy, it still isn't. I guess eventually it will become so ingrained in my life that I'll enjoy it, but lets be honest, while enjoying the exercises may be an option for a few, for most of us, it's seen as something we need to do despite how we feel about it. You can love the idea, you can love the results, but that doesn't mean you have to love the action. I hate taking out the trash, and folding laundry, but I do it, and I like to see the hamper empty when I'm done.

Reality Check:
    "So what's the point of all this?" you may ask. Well, I made all these statement to emphasize one essential basic point. Changing your life is your responsibility. We all have moments of sadness and weakness, that's life, it sucks, get over it. My main point is, if you came this far and you're on here and reading this post, then you're probably pretty serious, the real question is "Are you serious enough to make the changes?” Most of you probably are (or already have), some of you might be wavering, that's ok, and it’s natural to be afraid of change. I can tell you one thing, even if you aren't sure, you can know that doing this to the BEST of your ability will never come back to haunt you. Remember, to try and fail is a road map to future success, to fail without trying is a sure fire way to continued failure. Everyone has the willpower to do this, it's a simple (simple doesn't necessarily mean easy) matter of taking control of your body instead of it controlling you.

I really hope this helps someone!

Best health to you all!

-Banks
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Banks!!!
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks Banks! This is just what I needed today. I was getting into the "what's the point?" feelings this week, and this will help me get back on track. Thanks for the inspiration!