Need a question answering!

Options
I barely do exercise, i've set the app settings to sedentary. However I want to take up walking.

this might sound incredibly dumb but my calorie allowance is 1200 with no exercise. Now if I were to walk, log the walk and eat more calories would I lose weight faster or would it be just the same as no exercise? I am already eating a 800 deficit and would eat more depending on the calories burned from walking so would it work out the same?

I hope that made sense!

Replies

• csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    if you 'eat back' the calories earned from exercise, then it should balance out so you lose at the same rate as without the exercise. DO the exercise. Being healthy isn't about how much you weigh, its about being healthy!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    As above. If you burn 150 calories through exercise, then eat an extra 150 calories your weight loss would be the same BUT you are working your heart and lungs. You are also motivating yourself to do more exercise and eat well. You will most likely sleep better and have more energy. Because you will be eating more you will be less likely to binge or feel deprived and will therefore stick to the plan. If you incorporate some lifting into your exercise routine you will be less likely to loose muscle mass as you loose weight.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    As above. If you burn 150 calories through exercise, then eat an extra 150 calories your weight loss would be the same BUT you are working your heart and lungs. You are also motivating yourself to do more exercise and eat well. You will most likely sleep better and have more energy. Because you will be eating more you will be less likely to binge or feel deprived and will therefore stick to the plan. If you incorporate some lifting into your exercise routine you will be less likely to loose muscle mass as you loose weight.

+1 on this.

I'll emphasize some form of resistance training of any kind, body weight, resistance bands or lifting. Your choice as to what you can add to your schedule. Any of these choices will help you maintain the lean muscle that you already have as you lose the weight that is covering up that muscle.

Good Luck!
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you walk you will build muscle you can eat the calories back but I tend not to. Even 25 mins of walking a day makes a huge difference trust me
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    If you walk you will build muscle you can eat the calories back but I tend not to. Even 25 mins of walking a day makes a huge difference trust me

• josiebanks18
    josiebanks18 Posts: 37 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips, I don't think I could afford to not eat back the calories I don't want to go into starvation mode.

Thank you Karen sound advice :)