Which is most difficult to accomplish maintaining weight vs losing weight

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks into a strict caloric medical weight loss program; I seem to do better on weekdays than on weekends because my husband cooks a good breakfast. I find now that it is easier for me to try to be on the losing end and trying to get to my goal weight. I will continue to weight out my food and use other measuring cups and spoons for side portions. I'm hoping this will continue with my weight loss until I reach my goal and then to realize that this is a lifestyle change and hopefully near the end; I will know what I can eat out and still maintain that weight my weight goal; only at that point will I be able to tell when I get there.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    From the beginning I recognized it as a lifestyle change and so I always ate the calories I would have been eating at my goal weight and used exercise to increase the deficit. I formed good habits and never gave up my favorite foods. So maybe thats why I think it is easier. Rather than burning 8000 calories a week, I can do just fine on 4000.
  • weightjim
    weightjim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most of the chaps on my Alpha programme find maintenance hard. Many have stated that not having someone there to support you is their biggest problem. So perhaps forums such as this are a great way to garner support and encouragement.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    weightjim wrote: »
    Most of the chaps on my Alpha programme find maintenance hard. Many have stated that not having someone there to support you is their biggest problem. So perhaps forums such as this are a great way to garner support and encouragement.

True, I have good maintenance friends on here as well as friends still losing.

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. When I first started losing, it took me a while to get into a groove and figure things out. Once I did and was consistent, the pounds and inches started melting.

When I transitioned to maintenance the main difficulty I had was eating more so I didn't continue losing. My mind thought I was going to gain those 80 lbs. right back. Once I got over that, ate more and saw that I did not gain I was okay.

I developed healthy habits when I was losing and and I didn't do anything hardcore. I still had pizza on Friday nights, I never gave up any foods or followed any ridge diet or workout plans etc. It took me a little longer to reach my goal, but I was okay with that.

Not to say either was easy, but I didn't have too tough of a time with losing or maintaining. I made sure everything I was doing to lose was sustainable so all I had to do was up my calories a little to maintain, but I work at it everyday maintain my shape.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Maintaining is so much easier (for me). I hated losing/cutting... but the worst by far was gaining/bulking - mentally, physically, the meticulous tracking. It was worth it though, but makes everything else seem a lot less difficult for sure.
  • snappy36
    snappy36 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Psychologically, maintaining is harder for me. There's so much positive reinforcement built in with losing that it's an adjustment from the highs of fitting into new clothes, seeing the number drop on the scale, getting compliments to same old, same old. No one ever says, "Hey, congrats on staying the same size for a year. Good job." :wink:

Snappy 36 I totally agree with you. All they ever say is "don't lose anymore," and I wonder if it was worth the effort. I just have to think they are jealous.
  • SonJayBeFit
    SonJayBeFit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From the beginning I recognized it as a lifestyle change and so I always ate the calories I would have been eating at my goal weight and used exercise to increase the deficit. I formed good habits and never gave up my favorite foods. So maybe thats why I think it is easier. Rather than burning 8000 calories a week, I can do just fine on 4000.

Agreed it's a mindset of healthy living, I feel like mentally reaching a goal we think the journey is over.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Agreed it's a mindset of healthy living, I feel like mentally reaching a goal we think the journey is over.

Perhaps, we should turn our attention to a new goal. If we focus on fitness goals, keeping our weight under control may be part of how we reach the goal, since it is easier to go faster, farther, or stronger if our weight is under control.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't think one is harder than the other. I'm doing exactly the same thing I was doing to lose weight. I thought that maintaining would be harder, but there's no difference for me.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I find them to be about the same actually. I'm doing the exact same thing as I was while losing. I still count calories, weigh and measure all my food, and exercise. The only difference is that I get to eat a little more.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think one is harder than the other. I'm doing exactly the same thing I was doing to lose weight. I thought that maintaining would be harder, but there's no difference for me.

How long have you been maintaining?
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Maintaining. Especially with the added pressure that you worked so hard for so long to lose it initially.
    Thats how i feel all the time ...At first I thought maintain would be so easy breezy but when i got to it , (Not Easy) my behalf working on making it easier tho .. i tend to over eat a Couple days of the week eating like 500-800 cals above maintain.. When i was lose weight i could do this and not worry about much because i had a week full of deficits to fall back on .. now with maintain I over eat is a slight chance ta_ gain weight and the pounds will creep up...__________> before you know it all you've work/strived for all them months or years are down the drain.

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    definitely it's harder to maintain, when in the "losing" mood I did enjoy saving 6-700 calories per day, positive feedback from others, results seen on the scale - it was really difficult to stop to lose

maintenance is harder, no more feedback, no more "in progress" results, and it must become your ordinary relationship with food - no more diet, no more savings, just eating normally - not easy
  • iheartmarshall
    iheartmarshall Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Maintaining has been much easier for me. I lost 50 pounds from 2013 to 2014 and have kept it off to where it's become my new normal. Since losing 50 pounds was my goal at the time, once I reached it, my exercise decreased and my eating habits went back to basically whatever I wanted yet I still maintained that weight. I guess my body was able to handle my intake versus activity levels to stay there.

Now I'm trying to lose 20 more pounds and it's incredibly hard. My initial strategy was the same as before -- eat healthier in general while not depriving myself of what I love (moderation is key, otherwise I won't keep up with it) and exercise regularly. But, I'm having much more difficulty with it this time as I'm not seeing any weight loss. So I'm trying to adjust to see what will work this time around. I'm one of those people who prefer a steady routine instead of a quick fix but it's just trying to find the right routine that I'm having trouble with.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    This has probably already been said, but for me, weighing at least once a week is one of the most important factors in maintaining weight loss. I will give myself a large range for fluctuations, 5-10 lbs, but if I increase more than 10 lbs during maintenance, I start to take action. I also continually add fitness goals, like improving my endurance, and decreasing my body fat percentage. Fitness is a lifelong pursuit, and it doesn't end once you reach a magical number on the scale. :)
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    And maintaining is easier, because I can eat more!
  • DeeDeeS13
    DeeDeeS13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It all takes great effort and commitment for me. Both require a determination to stick with what's important to me. I've been on MFP for over 500 days straight, but it's what helps me to maintain a weight that I like. : )
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I love maintenance...hate this cutting business...I could stop right now as I am in range of my last year goal but yup I freakin' set a new goal...*smh*

Goals at maintenance are there...it's call maintenance and exercising/fitness goals...

I prefer maintenance now hence why cutting is a head game for me.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    For me maintenance is harder. Almost there again, so we'll see how I fair this time.

I'm an all or nothing kind of person, I don't do well with moderation.
    When I'm trying to lose, it's easy to cut down calories. Just say no to a lot of stuff and work out.
    It's simple.

Maintenance on the other hand allows for more food, and since I don't intend to never eat cookies or cake again, I struggle to not go overboard. Learning moderation is going to be the hardest part.