Calorie question

Do you only lose weight if you eat healthier calories? Like foods that are good for you vs bad. Or even if I ate food that was not healthy at all for me but I still didn't go over 2100 calories would I still lose weight?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    A calorie is just a unit of measurment. 100 calories of apple are the same as 100 calories of cookies. The nutrients that come with them are different. Weight loss is simply eating less than you burn. So if you are staying under your calorie goal regardless of where the calories come from you will lose weight.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    I still eat pizza, ice cream, chocolate, and chips and I still lose because I make sure they fit into my calorie limits. I don't always feel as good eating those foods as I would healthier, less processed foods but sometimes when you want a Snickers ice cream bar you have a Snickers ice cream bar!
  • theron225
    theron225 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the replies you guys!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    You also want to watch your fat intake. Don't want to clog those arteries.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    edited May 2015
    You still have to get those good nutrients as well! Watching how much salt you take in, fat and if you want to feel full, eat foods that are high in protein. If you consume junk that doesn't have high protein (which is very easy to find), you won't feel full and you will just eat more!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    theron225 wrote: »
    Do you only lose weight if you eat healthier calories? Like foods that are good for you vs bad. Or even if I ate food that was not healthy at all for me but I still didn't go over 2100 calories would I still lose weight?

Don't get hung up on what you eat. Just moderate what you do eat. It's a very simple game and don't let anyone con you into believing anything else.
  • theron225
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    theron225 wrote: »

Don't get hung up on what you eat. Just moderate what you do eat. It's a very simple game and don't let anyone con you into believing anything else.

Thanks!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    My_Butt wrote: »
    Fat intake, even saturated fat intake, isn't conclusively linked to heart health independent of excess calories.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member

The science seems to have changed on this issue. Fat is an important nutrient. My strategy is to get most of my calories from a wide variety of nutrient dense foods, including fats and set aside some discretionary calories for whatever snacks and alcohol I desire.

• callen901
    callen901 Posts: 17 Member
    [/quote]
    Don't get hung up on what you eat. Just moderate what you do eat. It's a very simple game and don't let anyone con you into believing anything else. [/quote]

^^^All of this. My problem the first time was that I was doing too much too soon. Baby steps is working for me. Starting with counting calories and portion control. I'm still eating all the same foods as before I stated trying to lose weight. I also walk frequently using a HRM and I use a food scale. I use to listen to people telling me to watch this and cut out that and it wasn't working. I found myself bingeing a lot. I've added more fruits and more water so far and will add more nutritious foods that I like as I go along in my weight loss journey but right now I'm focusing on counting calories and portion control. I've lost 5lbs in my first 30 days so I will get to my goal. I really want to keep the weight off once I reach my goal. My diary is open. You can add me if you like.
  • theron225
    callen901 wrote: »
    Don't get hung up on what you eat. Just moderate what you do eat. It's a very simple game and don't let anyone con you into believing anything else. [/quote]

^^^All of this. My problem the first time was that I was doing too much too soon. Baby steps is working for me. Starting with counting calories and portion control. I'm still eating all the same foods as before I stated trying to lose weight. I also walk frequently using a HRM and I use a food scale. I use to listen to people telling me to watch this and cut out that and it wasn't working. I found myself bingeing a lot. I've added more fruits and more water so far and will add more nutritious foods that I like as I go along in my weight loss journey but right now I'm focusing on counting calories and portion control. I've lost 5lbs in my first 30 days so I will get to my goal. I really want to keep the weight off once I reach my goal. My diary is open. You can add me if you like. [/quote]

Thanks a lot. Yea that's why I was asking because I kno it would be hard to just drop everything & start eating clean
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    Fat intake, even saturated fat intake, isn't conclusively linked to heart health independent of excess calories.
    thank you for pointing that out...

Fat is needed to help the body absorb vitamins and minerals...

food is neither good nor bad it is energy. If you look at my diary you will see bacon cheese burgers, cookies, chocolate, ice cream etc.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member

Your body is just slightly more complicated than your kitchen sink, hon.

Fat is essential to good health. It is more calorie dense than carbs or protein, so you do need to watch portions carefully, but fat (and cholesterol) are necessary to many bodily functions. And fat, unlike carbs or protein, does not raise blood glucose levels - very important to those battling insulin resistance, pre-diabetes, diabetes, and/or metabolic syndrome (re: a huge minority of Americans).