Structuring a workout

Options
I like to lift & I like my trainer. I am not ready to commit to Stronglifts 5x5. I want to structure workouts that go like this: big muscle group compounds (squats & dls), push something, pull something, core something, stretch legs. What are some variations for pushes & pulls? I currently focus on bench press & rows respectively.

On non-lift days, I want to focus on yoga or bodyweight. That would structure somewhat similarly, legs-chest/arms-core. Do you feel that this approach will generate moderate but lasting results of 1) weight loss with 2) acceptable muscle mass maintained and 3) a level of conditioning/cardiovascular benefit that something like SL5x5 alone cannot provide and 4) added flexibility?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of full body programs other than SL, which might be mentioned here 25 times a day but is not the end all be all of beginner's programs. Here are a few to look at. You can easily find the details online:

- Strong Curves (google "strong curves pdf")
    - 5/3/1 (blackironbeast.com has a calculator with the templates. There is one for beginners but check out the others too. I do the full body training version.)
    - New Rules of Lifting for Women (book but you can see details by googling)
    - All Pro's Simple Beginner Plan (google to find the bodybuilding.com thread with details)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you want cardio conditioning and benefits, you're gonna have to suck it up and do actual cardio. Straight-up yoga will help with flexibility, but it is probably not your best bet for aerobic fitness. You could check out some of the videos on fitnessblender.com that incorporate both cardio and bodyweight strength/light weights or that alternate between the two--those might be up your alley.

The lifts you describe are basically Stronglifts and Starting Strength, with you adding in additional core work. Both programs use overhead press (a push). Stronglifts uses upright rows (pull) and SS the power clean (dynamic). My gym does not allow cleans or other explosive lifts so I do inverted rows/inverted push-ups using the Smith machine bar instead.

You might be intimidated by the linear progression/increasing weight every week and that's fine--I'm certainly going more slowly! But the actual lifts in the programs are basically what you're looking for out of your weights days, with the additions you describe. (And SS, at least, eventually encourages you to build in some accessory work--chin-ups and dips, i.e. pull and push, for example.) :)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Strong Curves program for about 12 weeks. I am also in week three of SL5x5. (At some point, I may pare it down.) I have been doing body weight intervals for years. I add weights or reps as they get easier. Strength and interval training=4 days. Tennis= 3days. 20-minute run=3 days.

This is my schedule:
    Tues_intervals and 20-minute run
    Wed_intervals and SL5x5 with SC
    Thurs_intervals and run
    Fri_intervals and SL5x5 with SC
    Sat_tennis
    Sun_tennis and run
    Mon_tennis and SL5x5 with SC

My preference as far as seeing better results for speed and endurance is the timed interval training. I like the explosive benefits. The added weights (Kettlebell/Dumbbell) help with strength and retaining my LBM.

I am liking loving Strong Curves more and more as I advance. has some very-targeted accessory work for glutes and hams as well as full body work with weights. I am so new at Strong Lifts that I can't really say what it is helping me with except I do feel a bit more power in tennis.