Why do a lot of women prefer exercise DVDs?

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    A lot think lifting will make them bulky

WRONG

It will make them sexy

Using exercise DVDs doesn't mean you can't lift.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    almost every single female I talk to says it has to do with the sheer intimidation of getting into weight lifting and not knowing anything...

they all consider that area of the gym the "man section"

and in all honesty, i was in the exact same boat a few months ago.

i would go to the gym at 5am because i was uncomfortable doing it otherwise.
    i thought if i was doing my lifts, starting with minimum weights, people would mock me

pathetic, but true.
    lol

in retrospect, i wish i threw my hesitation out the door and started earlier. it was a silly fear to have - most people at the gym are more focused on themselves and their own workout then to be focusing on someone else.

they are just happy to see girls working out in the first place :P
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    For me it's because it's private. I feel I look stupid doing Zumba, so doing it in the privacy of my room helps me feel better. Going to the gym can be good but I always feel like people are looking me.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    A lot think lifting will make them bulky

WRONG

It will make them sexy

Using exercise DVDs doesn't mean you can't lift.

You are right.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Because I can do it ( DVD, cardio, elliptical, weights) at home when it's convenient for me. I don't want to pay for a gym membership, and be lucky to make it there once a month.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have small kids, and it is easier to do home exercises.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Time, money, privacy, flexibility, choice, and yes I can work out in whatever I want to :bigsmile:
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Gym is too far away, and my schedule is very crazy. I can pop in a DVD at any time right in my own home. Takes away a lot of excuses for not exercising.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Privacy, time management and more economical.

Agree.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I like both. I currently am doing the Insanity program in the morning and go the gym with my guy every single evening that he is willing to go. I wouldn't have the confidence to go in there and figure out how to use the equipment and do a workout by myself, but I really like following him around and doing what he does with lighter weights.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Privacy, time management and more economical.

This plus I can exercise during my study breaks.
  • OMGitzj3551k4
    OMGitzj3551k4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As said above, privacy. I like the comfort of my own home where I can go crazy without feeling like I'm being looked at.

Variety. I am a member of the blogilates community and there's hundreds of videos for me to choose from.

Economics. I honestly refuse to pay for a gym when I can do it for free at home and get just as good if not better results.
  • Suzykt1951
    Options
    I use to be in that mentality of wanting the privacy. Now that I am older and a grandmother, I have found that going to the gym gives me more motivation. When I did it at home there was always an excuse for not doing it. I don't do Zumba or any of the aerobics right now but I do the treadmill for 30 minutes, do strenght training and then do addition 20 minutes on the Elliptical. Also when I have a question on how to do something I can either ask an employee or another member. Great way to make new friends as well as being encourged by everyone at the gym.

I am determined this time in my life to finally get fit and healthy for myself. I have been doing this since the last week of February and have all ready lost 34 lbs and 18 inches. I am also doing a modified low-carb diet. Using myfitnesspal is making me more accountable for myself as well.

All the arguments for working out at home are valid. I just happen to live in a small community with a fitness center very close by.
    :happy:
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I work full-time, have a long commute and a two-year-old. If I had the time, I'd be a gym rat, believe me! But DVDs (and running outside when I have time) allow me to get in a good workout regardless of what else is going on in my life.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity previously. I restarted it & I am on week 4 after a long hiatus. Thinking of trying Les Mills next, how do you like it??
    I prefer Les Mills Combat to Insanity. But then I trained in kickboxing for 10 years.

Oh, and for the record, here's part of my workout room where I do my DVDs... no fear of weights here:
    969514_10151664853546210_474111359_n.jpg

I want this.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I actually don't (as OP knows) prefer DVD's. But I did have a fear of the gym and possible ridicule by others when exercising in public. That's why I started out with cheap at home equipment, then c25k, then eventually gym and lifting heavy.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity previously. I restarted it & I am on week 4 after a long hiatus. Thinking of trying Les Mills next, how do you like it??
    I prefer Les Mills Combat to Insanity. But then I trained in kickboxing for 10 years.

Oh, and for the record, here's part of my workout room where I do my DVDs... no fear of weights here:
    969514_10151664853546210_474111359_n.jpg
    *covet*
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My husband gets a lunch hour so he can go to the gym by his office. I'm at home all day with the little one or working a 12 hr shift getting 20 meal breaks. DVDs work for me because I can do them at home with the little guy and save the $50/month that I used to spend on the gym, not to mention the 40 minute round trip.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to socialize and could easily spend 3 hours at the gym. As a Mom of 2 busy kids (both in competitive sports) and work mingled into that schedule I'm lucky I find 90 minutes a day to get up, dressed to work-out, pop in Insanity for 60 minutes, cool-down and get ready for my day!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My favorite instructor makes the workouts more interesting than they would be on my own. (not JM)
    It's also really more like the class atmosphere that a lot of women like, but they need to work out at home for whatever reason.
    It's also a really good way to learn form, if the instructor is doing it correctly.
    She's been doing weight lifting workouts for decades.
    Many women feel more comfortable,
    at least in the beginning, using the barbell with her instruction.